How long have you breastfed?

How long have you breastfed?

• Total voters

jopeck

BMSG Moderator
agree with bluechin... no matter how long or short you breastfeed, its an acheivement! and deserves to be celebrated. I'm not one to point fingers at mummies who don't breastfeed as I believe we all are entitled our own choices and situations to handle.

for me... breastfed my oldest son for 5 yrs 2 months (through 2 pregnancies - I call him my boob addict). My daughter was breastfed til 13 months. I think she stopped because I got pregnant. Still breastfeeding my youngest who also happens to take formula (for reasons known only to him!)

jopeck

BMSG Moderator
not trying to be difficult but why intro fm? how about plain milk? or just regular juices? if she's got a balanced diet, there's no reason for fm to be intro'd at all!

viki

Hi,
Well, there are quite a few reasons here. One of them is the biting problem(She uses her teeth to grip my nipple throughout while nursing);my husband is not very supportive.....Its just a decision i've made after thinking through. I bf my first child for 2yrs plus almost 3 yrs. The reason i stopped bf her was to plan for no. 2. My period only came after I successfully wean her off nite bfeeding. So for this 2nd child, I just thought I 'll take it slowly weaning her off the breast ie, when she like.I like your suggestions, maybe i'll wean her onto FM, maybe just wean her off to juices.

elaine01

Hi,
Well, there are quite a few reasons here. One of them is the biting problem(She uses her teeth to grip my nipple throughout while nursing);my husband is not very supportive.....Its just a decision i've made after thinking through. I bf my first child for 2yrs plus almost 3 yrs. The reason i stopped bf her was to plan for no. 2. My period only came after I successfully wean her off nite bfeeding. So for this 2nd child, I just thought I 'll take it slowly weaning her off the breast ie, when she like.I like your suggestions, maybe i'll wean her onto FM, maybe just wean her off to juices.
My baby bites too. But after a few times of telling him that he shouldnt do such as mummy pain pain, or bite mummy = no neh-neh, he understands & he's stull nursing to date.

hubby not supportive? Well, my ILs all object to it since I got pregnant. When I insisted to breastfeed him in hospital, MIL screamed at me(in fron tof my parents, relatives & visitors)for being so stubborn. Tell me so many times 1st few days no milk still must breastfeed. Want to starve her grandson isit???!! But I perservered to date. When DS needs to be nursed, I'll nurse. They dont like, then dont see lor :Dancing_tongue:. They dont know how to respect me in the 1st place, so I wont respect them either. It's 2 way traffic. Hubby not supportive BUT when FM prices go up, up & up, he shuts up cos saved him lotsa $$$ on FM.

When my mense didnt come for 6 mths, MIL also very worried when she saw I still nursing him. And said it's time I stop(so that mense can come back & bear her a grand-daughter). But it come back automatically after 8 months. When they saw the pics of WBW 07 in the chinese papers(got a mum simply revealed her whole breast), they questioned me why so revealing? MIL nearly said next year I cant go cos have to expose my boobs to the public! Oops! Whenever DS wants to be nursed(esp. @ MIL place), she'll repeat the same sets of questions(i lost count how many times she asked liao): still breastfeed ah? when stop? give FM lah? BM no value after 6 mths............blah..............
Hubby's cousin TBF for 2 years, but conceived again when her child was 18 months.

Agree with jopeck, no need to give FM, give just fresh milk or baby juices? I bet they're no inferir to FM.:tlaugh:

jopeck

BMSG Moderator
fresh milk and juices definitely not inferior to fm... in fact they are better cos more natural mah... fm got lots of things inside that may or may not really be good for our kiddos.

Biting happens... normal part of bb growing up. Just have to notice when it happens most often. For me, usually when bb is trying to get my attention or is falling asleep at the nipple. Solution... keep talking/playing with bb while nursing (even if you're actually talking to someone else!) and try and break the suction before bb falls totally asleep.

One trick in breaking the suction on a sleepy baby is to use your little finger to go into bb's mouth at the side, while holding another finger just under bb's lower lip. Hold the pressure at the lower lip until you're fully unlatched... then s-l-o-w-l-y release it. It helps bb to continue sleeping.

My MIL was never a fan of breastfeeding. She thinks the only milk is cow's milk. I remember about a month after I gave birth to ds1... she was carrying him and saying "poor baby... no milk milk"... I was so mad! but that's life... and that's the way they were brought up.

Personally, I do what I know is best for my children. They had their turn in raising kids... now its my turn and my decisions based on information that I've taken the trouble to find out. My family has mostly just given up on me and my nursing journey... why? Cos I don't listen even when they try to tell me to stop. Call me stubborn. Call my kids lucky!

elaine01

fresh milk and juices definitely not inferior to fm... in fact they are better cos more natural mah... fm got lots of things inside that may or may not really be good for our kiddos.

Biting happens... normal part of bb growing up. Just have to notice when it happens most often. For me, usually when bb is trying to get my attention or is falling asleep at the nipple. Solution... keep talking/playing with bb while nursing (even if you're actually talking to someone else!) and try and break the suction before bb falls totally asleep.

One trick in breaking the suction on a sleepy baby is to use your little finger to go into bb's mouth at the side, while holding another finger just under bb's lower lip. Hold the pressure at the lower lip until you're fully unlatched... then s-l-o-w-l-y release it. It helps bb to continue sleeping.

My MIL was never a fan of breastfeeding. She thinks the only milk is cow's milk. I remember about a month after I gave birth to ds1... she was carrying him and saying "poor baby... no milk milk"... I was so mad! but that's life... and that's the way they were brought up.

Personally, I do what I know is best for my children. They had their turn in raising kids... now its my turn and my decisions based on information that I've taken the trouble to find out. My family has mostly just given up on me and my nursing journey... why? Cos I don't listen even when they try to tell me to stop. Call me stubborn. Call my kids lucky!
:Dancing_wub:

bluechin

BMSG Moderator
Hey Elaine....

i think they also forgot about the rest of us who got pregnant while nursing and end up nursing through pregnancy and tandem nursing. I recalled getting comments like... like that also can pregnant ah?, or pregnant also can breastfeed ah? or even can feed two together ah?

My mother in law was never a fan of breastfeeding too but as she sees her grandchildren grew, strive and are healthy plus the numerous information i would pass to her abt the goodness of bfg. she ended up being won over by breastfeeding. Now she is an advocate too and passes my number to relatives and friends who needs help on breastfeeding. :)

stubborness accompanied by facts and love for people can win... hahaha

elaine01

Hey Elaine....

i think they also forgot about the rest of us who got pregnant while nursing and end up nursing through pregnancy and tandem nursing. I recalled getting comments like... like that also can pregnant ah?, or pregnant also can breastfeed ah? or even can feed two together ah?

My mother in law was never a fan of breastfeeding too but as she sees her grandchildren grew, strive and are healthy plus the numerous information i would pass to her abt the goodness of bfg. she ended up being won over by breastfeeding. Now she is an advocate too and passes my number to relatives and friends who needs help on breastfeeding. :)

you're lucky.:001_302:

mine is too stubborn to listen. Or should I say all my ILs refuse to "accept" breastfeeding?:tlaugh:

when they saw one of the mothers reveal her whole breast during the WBW 07, she almost tell me next year I cant go! Dont disgrace her by showing the whole world my breasts!

I cant mention anything about breastfeeding to them. They dont like it. I just have to accept it. What a failure I am!:err:

elaine01

Hey Elaine....

if #2 really comes along & I do tandem, they'll see me as a freak or alien from Venus! Hahahaha......

Na, I just have to learn to ear in ear out.......:001_302: some tmies when I dont feel the need to answer her questions(or I repeated myself umpteen times), I'll just keep quiet & ignore her.

bluechin

BMSG Moderator
you're lucky.:001_302:

mine is too stubborn to listen. Or should I say all my ILs refuse to "accept" breastfeeding?:tlaugh:

when they saw one of the mothers reveal her whole breast during the WBW 07, she almost tell me next year I cant go! Dont disgrace her by showing the whole world my breasts!

I cant mention anything about breastfeeding to them. They dont like it. I just have to accept it. What a failure I am!:err:
Hey Elaine,

please please don't say you are a failure. you are never one to begin with!

just that sometimes it really takes time for ppl to change their opinion... after all it's their lifelong belief already.

about exposing oneself, surely she can see that most of us are quite discreet?

bluechin

BMSG Moderator
if #2 really comes along & I do tandem, they'll see me as a freak or alien from Venus! Hahahaha......

Na, I just have to learn to ear in ear out.......:001_302: some tmies when I dont feel the need to answer her questions(or I repeated myself umpteen times), I'll just keep quiet & ignore her.
Oh.. that many of us are aliens too :tlaugh:

i guess be patient with them ok. After all they are your elders and not to mention the parents of the man you love. :) respect them like you would to your own parents.

i too had a long time trying to adjust to my in laws. time when i cry in the washroom on my own and times whereby i will just hide in my room. but after a while, i decided that i should just try to know them better and be patient. We also need to see their perspective. :)

elaine01

Hey Elaine,

please please don't say you are a failure. you are never one to begin with!

just that sometimes it really takes time for ppl to change their opinion... after all it's their lifelong belief already.

about exposing oneself, surely she can see that most of us are quite discreet?
One of the family member even asked me where to "see" such "free shows"? :elvis:

bluechin

BMSG Moderator
actually come to think of it.. can one get high by watching a mother breastfeeding?

sorry but i too think he needs therapy. :p

jopeck

BMSG Moderator
no idea.. but do you know how many people stare when you bfd in a MRT train? like they never seen a nipple before.... not that mine is on show in the first d*** place! especially with a sling.

bluechin

BMSG Moderator
yes i do get that. it's quite crazy to have ppl walking closer and closer just to peep at you nursing.

stonston

there was once i was sitting on e bench outside Taka's crystal jade bf my boi w a nursing cover...got a GUY with his preggie wife n 2 kids keep inching nearer n nearer n i can feel his eyes on me...

then i looked up n observe him, he keep trying to 'peep'...then when his wife was near, i jus said v loud to my hb n maid "wah....some pple mus b nvr see their wife breastfeed b4....keep coming nearer n nearer with their eyes staring at me...some more e wife pregnant lei! then when she breastfeed how? he masturbate ar?"

tt time realli v irritated cos got pple mess up e nursing room until so dirty....then no choice bf at the bench (it is in a corner, v discreet already) n kena peeped....i dun mind if it is a horny young male...but a guy with his PREGNANT wife n 2 kids beside him!!!!!!

btw, my maid luffed when i said tt....my hb jus tell me dunnid to be angry with such stupid pple...
n........e best part.....e preggie wife started shouting at her hb.....