How long have you breastfed?

How long have you breastfed?

• Total voters

jopeck

BMSG Moderator
wah so calculative ha? not good leh... how to quantify the nutrional and emotional value? its priceless!

sebmum

Have been breastfeeding ds for 20 months and still going..... Just introduced formula (Pediasure) less than 2 weeks ago as he wasn't eating well.

Junior

My MIL was never a fan of breastfeeding. She thinks the only milk is cow's milk. I remember about a month after I gave birth to ds1... she was carrying him and saying "poor baby... no milk milk"... I was so mad! but that's life... and that's the way they were brought up.

Personally, I do what I know is best for my children. They had their turn in raising kids... now its my turn and my decisions based on information that I've taken the trouble to find out. My family has mostly just given up on me and my nursing journey... why? Cos I don't listen even when they try to tell me to stop. Call me stubborn. Call my kids lucky!
I TOTALLY understand how u feel, the exact thing happened to me too and my boy is her 1st grandson!!! *faint* Luckily my hb was very supportive and bought me the medela advanced pump to increase my milk supply.

I only managed to went exclusive BF for 5mths 2wks!! *sobsob* my aim was to last 6 mths but my weight lost was terrifying. I lost beyond my pre-pregnancy weight and fell sick twice! So decided to stop and build up my own health in order to take care of my boy. I can proudly say although hb and i have asthma background, (touch wood) our boy has never fall sick once even when he's teething.. I strongly encourage mothers to BF as long as they can. We save alot on LO potential medical bills for now and future.. LOL

Junior

Elaine01,

I think i've seen this LO photo of yours circulating around in the email as a cutie baby? Do you happens to know anything about it?

Junior

yeah!!!! all of you did really well!!! :red:
When my gynae found out that i was still BFing 100% during the 3rd month, he said i was already the top 10% in MY!! you ladies are AMAZING!! :Dancing_wub: Talk about causeway differences..

priscilla

I breastfed my boy till he turned 18 months and self-weaned. I think once they started on solid, they are not as keen to breastfeed as before so the number of time of breastfeeding also reduce.

Now he is on fresh milk 3 times a day on tops of his full breakfast, snacks and lunch and dinner at 4 yr old.

Last edited:

jopeck

BMSG Moderator
once they start eating solids, bm really becomes a nutritional (and emotional) supplement. So the number of nursings a day will drop gradually. That's the lovely thing... if you follow nature, your body is given enough time to adjust to the whole process of weaning off... cool huh? then you won't get engorgement and the rest of the problems associated with "cold turkey" type weanings.

I remember with ds1, bm was always his 'dessert'... the final course in every meal. My mom just couldn't understand it. She would feed him til he was full and didn't want any more food. Then as soon as he was off the high chair, he'd head straight for me and my milk. Got her sooo frustrated. But I was lovin'it!

elaine01

I TOTALLY understand how u feel, the exact thing happened to me too and my boy is her 1st grandson!!! *faint* Luckily my hb was very supportive and bought me the medela advanced pump to increase my milk supply.

I only managed to went exclusive BF for 5mths 2wks!! *sobsob* my aim was to last 6 mths but my weight lost was terrifying. I lost beyond my pre-pregnancy weight and fell sick twice! So decided to stop and build up my own health in order to take care of my boy. I can proudly say although hb and i have asthma background, (touch wood) our boy has never fall sick once even when he's teething.. I strongly encourage mothers to BF as long as they can. We save alot on LO potential medical bills for now and future.. LOL
I was also losing weight fast(to the extent my dad almost banned me from continuing)! Also fell sick once a twice during my breastfeeding journey. My dad, DH & MIL were making a big fuss about me stopping but I'm too stubborn to listen to them. I continue & doing just fine.

elaine01

once they start eating solids, bm really becomes a nutritional (and emotional) supplement. So the number of nursings a day will drop gradually. That's the lovely thing... if you follow nature, your body is given enough time to adjust to the whole process of weaning off... cool huh? then you won't get engorgement and the rest of the problems associated with "cold turkey" type weanings.

I remember with ds1, bm was always his 'dessert'... the final course in every meal. My mom just couldn't understand it. She would feed him til he was full and didn't want any more food. Then as soon as he was off the high chair, he'd head straight for me and my milk. Got her sooo frustrated. But I was lovin'it!
everytime DS finish his dinner @ MIL's, she say to him, "bao-bao liao right?" & let him off the high chair. He quickly grab onto me for BM. The moment MIl saw this, she quickly, "bao-bao liao mah, why still go to mummy for BM?! Shame on you!":embarrassed:

priscilla

Well, not all mil support breasfeeding. My mil does not support as she gave formula to all her 3 sons and she was playing mahjong throughout her 3 confinement so she was not supportive and keep disturbing while I was breastfeeding kept coming into my room till I lock my room and turn on music so when she asked me when I go down for my meals, I just told her I did not hear her knock as we might have fallen asleep and the music is on.

So just be persistence and continue breastfeeding if you can.

elaine01

Well, not all mil support breasfeeding. My mil does not support as she gave formula to all her 3 sons and she was playing mahjong throughout her 3 confinement so she was not supportive and keep disturbing while I was breastfeeding kept coming into my room till I lock my room and turn on music so when she asked me when I go down for my meals, I just told her I did not hear her knock as we might have fallen asleep and the music is on.

So just be persistence and continue breastfeeding if you can.
:tlaugh::tlaugh::tlaugh:.........sigh. i allowed her to watch when i nursed. if i didnt, DH would say i 'siao', she's the grandmother le.........even when i locked myself in my room to express, also kena scolding from DH.......when DH walked out of our room, she'll stand right in front of me & say, "bb got suck meh?he know how to suck your nipple meh? your nipple so short how to feed? your milk enuf or not? why dont you give FM?..............."just imagine confinement got 4 weekends. every weekend she'll come very early, go back very late. everytime i nurse, she'll stand right in front of me when i nurse until i finish. every day at least 12 hours x 2 days x 4 weeks. every 2 hours she repeat the same questions over & over again.......................:nah:

elaine01

after confinement, i told DH that i really feel uncomfy that his mum watched me nurse. problem is her negative remarks always pull my confidence to the pit.

now i dun care. DS want, i feed. she dont like, dun see lor.......i never point a pistol @ her temple & force her to watch.........:tlaugh:

stonston

i din care abt wot my mum said...she always said alot of farnie things tt made me angry...n i'm v bad, i always retort 'then y din u feed us with bm?'....

after a while, skin get thick liaoz...i jus bf as n when i like...when my hb's frens came over, i jus told them, i need to feed, u guys look away first...then i jus nurse my boi there n then...dun care....

n my maid is very cute...'mdm, ur nipples very nice'....i almost fainted when she told me on saturday!!!
she say breastfeeding is best, mommies who breastfeed got very nice nipples....
i realli wanted to pengz...when i told my hb, he luff n luff non-stop...but he said 'i agree tt ur nipple is nicer after u bf'....alamak....

btw Jopeck larling.....i'm not weaning 'cold turkey' style but i still get engorgements when i delay pumping lei...v frustrating!!!

Pink daisy

Howdy,
Am a newbie here, currently BF, 4 mths n going, hope to cont until cannot tahan anymore. Just wondering with you ladies how's the weight gain progress? Mine seems amazingly rapid leh...ppl said he's big baby but pedi says OK
Cheers

jopeck

BMSG Moderator
Howdy,
Am a newbie here, currently BF, 4 mths n going, hope to cont until cannot tahan anymore. Just wondering with you ladies how's the weight gain progress? Mine seems amazingly rapid leh...ppl said he's big baby but pedi says OK
Cheers
some breastfed babies put on weight really fast and become the fat, chubby type of baby. Others... stay slim and skinny.

I've had both kinds... and all are healthy! so just enjoy your baby. As long as baby is eating, sleeping, acting well... ignore non-important things like weight :Dancing_tongue: