how much for wedding hong baos?

tinkerball

my hubby have been invited to a wedding by a chinese friend of his. he was told that hong bao content have to be at least $80. can anyone give me a rough idea whats the minimum amount to be given and how much do u normally give at chinese weddings? any difference in amount wether wedding is held at hotel or restaurant? we havent decided on going cos being muslims we might have certain issues with the food.

autumn82

my hubby have been invited to a wedding by a chinese friend of his. he was told that hong bao content have to be at least $80. can anyone give me a rough idea whats the minimum amount to be given and how much do you normally give at chinese weddings? any difference in amount wether wedding is held at hotel or restaurant? we havent decided on going cos being muslims we might have certain issues with the food.
Usually for chinese weddings at hotels, I would fork out around 120-150/pax. For restaurants, would be roughly 80-100/pax. Of coz, it depends on how well we know the bride/groom & how many stars the restaurants/hotels are. :001_302::001_302:

if you don't want to be shortchanged, best is to call up the rstn and ask how much is per table then divide by no. of pax sitting @ the table and you know how much is the per head cost then you just give equivalent or slightly more.

but if you are not attending the dinner than its actually okay to give slightly lesser since you are not consuming the food. but of course if your husband is quite friend with the couple then its alright to give more.

diymummy

Depending on how well I know the couple.

If acquaintances I will give $80. Think that's the bare min. For very good friend I will give up to $200.

As for food, usually if the couple invite muslims for chinese dinner, they should cater for their halal requirements. That's what I did for my muslim guests at my wedding dinner. They were still seated with other chinese friends just that they had specially catered for halal food.

ochklk

If acquaintances I will give $80. Think that's the bare min. For very good friend I will give up to $200.

As for food, usually if the couple invite muslims for chinese dinner, they should cater for their halal requirements. That's what I did for my muslim guests at my wedding dinner. They were still seated with other chinese friends just that they had specially catered for halal food.

For me and hubby is depends, for those who have come to our wedding before, we have note down how much they have given us on our wedding, we add 10 percent for their wedding lor...

For me, it really depends on how close the friend is and location. Minimum I will at least give $68. Maximum I gave b4 for good friend was $288.

TANZHENZHI

Yes like what diymummy mentions, the couple invites you sure will arrange for halal foods for you all. For me, i also will note down how much my friends give me then will give maybe $10-20 more back to them ;) For Restaurants, i give about ($60-80), for Hotels ($80-120) Depends how well i know the couple.

CanCanMum

i will normally give $60 for restaurants, $80 (3star), $90 (4star) $100 (5star) for hotels haha~~~ For best friends/buddies will be different rate:win:

apollo

for restaurant, i will give 60-100 bucks, hotel 80 - 120 bucks.. depending which hotel/restaurant and hw close we are.. if super close fren, of cos will give more than the above mentioned amount :tlaugh:

sunburst

I guess it depends on the location & how close you are to the person.
But I will always make sure to give at least enough to cover their cost otherwise quite paiseh.

apollo

I guess it depends on the location & how close you are to the person.
But I will always make sure to give at least enough to cover their cost otherwise quite paiseh.
actu i think v diffi to 'judge' hw much per table is. cos like me, my wedding was held at a restaurant, not v new one tt's y everyone 'assumed' that per table will not exceed $600.. in fact per table was much more than tt...

autumn82

actually i think very diffi to 'judge' hw much per table is. cos like me, my wedding was held at a restaurant, not very new one that's why everyone 'assumed' that per table will not exceed $600.. in fact per table was much more than that...
Some ppl know the price per table but still will give only like $60 for 2 persons... I almost fainted when I held mine at Fullerton. Wahahahah. So in fact, it depends on the person.. Wahahahah :p

CanCanMum

Some ppl know the price per table but still will give only like $60 for 2 persons... I almost fainted when I held mine at Fullerton. Wahahahah. So in fact, it depends on the person.. Wahahahah :p
wahahhaha~~~~

ohhh juz to clarify all rates "quoted" here are on Per Pax basis horr, meaning horr, whole family of 3 x $60 (wadevers the rate) lols~~~not whole family of 3 only give $xx lols~~~

sunburst

actually i think very diffi to 'judge' hw much per table is. cos like me, my wedding was held at a restaurant, not very new one that's why everyone 'assumed' that per table will not exceed $600.. in fact per table was much more than that...
I always tend to do a little snooping and find out how much it would possibly be per table.

But yup it's true that some resturants although not very new, but they have wedding dinner menus that are like $800 or more per table. Of course the dishes offered will be of more expensive items as compared to a table in a hotel that is $800 per table.

tinkerball

thanks all mummies. at least now i can suggest to my hubby how much to put in the red packet. since the amount is per pax, i guess i wont be going even if my hubby decides to go. can save money.. hee.. cheers everyone!

apollo

$60 for TWO pax?! waolao tt one too kua zhang alrdy liaoo lahh!! dont say hotel, even restuarant also dont have such rate!!! my wedding was 'kui' money one... my bro said 1st time see ppl weddin at restuarant still can kui :embarrassed:

apollo

I always tend to do a little snooping and find out how much it would possibly be per table.

But yup it's true that some resturants although not very new, but they have wedding dinner menus that are like $800 or more per table. Of course the dishes offered will be of more expensive items as compared to a table in a hotel that is $800 per table.
yup... mine was 1k+ and the dishes were all very nice.. my bro worked at hotel banquet last time, he said that type of dishes at hotel banquet at least 1.6k.. for hotel, is pay for the 'class-ness'.. haha...

iwan2noe

yeah, for couple who have special guests like the muslims and vegetarian guests, 'special meals' have to be catered for them and this is almost double than the usual guest. This is to mean that if a few of these sepcial guests seats together with the usual chinese guest, the couple have to pay the cost of the whole table and additional cost for each of the special guest.

for, e.g if per pax for these special guest is $80, and the cost per table for usual guest is $800 per table, and have 3 special guests, then the couple have to pay $800 plus ($3x $80) = $1040 for the 10 guests per table.

so acutally it is an honour for botht he couple and the special guest when the couple invite them as they pay for them :)

For chinese, if they have invited both u and ur spouse, even if one turn up, u still have to pack red packet for 2 pax. BUT, usually when chinese couple do invitation, they will usually ask u whether u can make it. If u are avail then they will extend the invite o u, else they won't. So when they ask u, must inform if both of u are gg or only yourself.

Just my 2 cts worth. All abt the chinese wedding i kow.. not sure abt Indians and malays' wedding.. hehe...

Any sharing on this ?

:err: