Epidural?

Hi mummies to be,

Anyone shared their birth plan with their gynae and when do u do so?

I've low threshold for pain and might take epidural but my last pregnancy i tried not to take epidural but after 12 hours of gruelling contraction from induced medication and both laughing gas + pethidine din work for me, i took epidural but afterwards i had bad headache and vomitted non-stop. Also couldn't walk properly for next 3 days as legs still numb...any mummies have same side effect as me?

This time i hope i can endure the pain w/o epidural. Any advise?

Littlemoomoo

Last edited:

mrsmorgan

oh dear.. im really worried abt this too but didnt speak to my gynae abt it.. i thought i'll just see how it goes on e day itself.. i dont plan on using e gas n pethidine but if really cant tahan e pain n doc says still got a long way to go, i might just succumb to epi.. :001_302:

iwan2noe

Hi mummies to be,

Anyone shared their birth plan with their gynae and when do you do so?

I've low threshold for pain and might take epidural but my last pregnancy i tried not to take epidural but after 12 hours of gruelling contraction from induced medication and both laughing gas + pethidine did not work for me, i took epidural but afterwards i had bad headache and vomitted non-stop. Also couldn't walk properly for next 3 days as legs still numb...any mummies have same side effect as me?

Littlemoomoo
Hi i shared my birth plans with my gynae after asking him if he accept birth plan at my 38th wk, the wk when i gave birth to my bb =p
haha... i m natural birth w/o epi but it is an assisted birth by vaccum...i dun have side effect fr epi since i didnt take but i shivered uncontrollably after my birth..think it is bcoz it is too much strength being excerted =P

i also cant walk properly, mainly bcoz hurt myself while i was in my 35th wks, mayb bb too heavy or wat..right waist area there is hurting so was on a 2 wks MC... after my massage i feel so much better. the ache i felt on the left lower waist was gone after the 'wind' was expelled... =)

Hi i shared my birth plans with my gynae after asking him if he accept birth plan at my 38th wk, the wk when i gave birth to my baby =p
haha... i m natural birth w/o epi but it is an assisted birth by vaccum...i dont have side effect fr epi since i didnt take but i shivered uncontrollably after my birth..think it is bcoz it is too much strength being excerted =P

i also cant walk properly, mainly bcoz hurt myself while i was in my 35th wks, mayb baby too heavy or what..right waist area there is hurting so was on a 2 wks MC... after my massage i feel so much better. the ache i felt on the left lower waist was gone after the 'wind' was expelled... =)
I see..i think it really depends on how long the labour will be right? I really dun wan to take epi, imagine head spinning, vomitting and shivering..i think i won't even be able to hold my baby. Also read from some pregnancy books that epi can make the baby groggy when born and makes it difficult to BF?:err:

shiyi

I see..i think it really depends on how long the labour will be right? I really dont want to take epi, imagine head spinning, vomitting and shivering..i think i won't even be able to hold my baby. Also read from some pregnancy books that epi can make the baby groggy when born and makes it difficult to BF?:err:
not everyone will suffer from the side effects from epi.. for me, i only shivered uncontrollably during contraction but that subsided when i started pushing... nauseous feeling was very mild and was still energetic when bb is borned..

not everyone will suffer from the side effects from epi.. for me, i only shivered uncontrollably during contraction but that subsided when i started pushing... nauseous feeling was very mild and was still energetic when baby is borned..

Shiyi mummy, did u take epi at early stage of labour? Maybe the dosage was milder? I also shivered uncontrollaby that i kept tossing in the ward. Felt like a drug addict craving for drug..haha.

Is ur baby energetic too after birth?

shiyi

Shiyi mummy, did you take epi at early stage of labour? Maybe the dosage was milder? I also shivered uncontrollaby that i kept tossing in the ward. Felt like a drug addict craving for drug..haha.

Is your baby energetic too after birth?
hmm i was 3cm dilated at 11am..waited til 2pm still 3cm.. by then the pain is unbearable, cos contractions comin in every 2mins.. so gave in to epi

lekdao

wow no epi!! hope i'll be as strong as you.. how long was your labour? :err:
I shared my birth plan with my gynae when i am 36 weeks (baby out on 39th weeks). The following will be available:-
1. Laughing gas
2. pethidine
3. epidural

Both 1 & 2 did not work for me, opt for c-sec (pain until forgotten the epidural) LOL. But gynae ignored me and checked on me. Within the next 15 - 20 mins, baby was out.

My 2nd birth, i did ask for epidural. when giving the pethidine, a small dosage was wasted, I can feel whatever they do to me and is very painful when they slit the virgina. Requested for epidural 15mins before baby out, but it is too late.

My gynae told me 30% of the ppl will hv backache (side effect) in the future (old age).

Last edited:

babybull

I received 5 epidural top-ups in all, both gas and pethidine didn't work for me; my labour was very very long, 30 hours in all.

Also shivered uncontrollably, kept vomitting non-stop before, during and after the pushing (throwing up bile by then).

Worst of all, the epidural stopped working 5-6 hours before cervix finally dilated sufficiently and baby decided to come out. So i felt the full pains of the contractions, episiotomy, stitching. Wanted to die liao lor.

As I hadn't dilated more than 1cm after 24 hrs, gynae asked whether we would consider c-section. I wanted it, but was also scared because my epi had stopped working by then. Couldn't imagine being cut up when the epi wasn't effective.. luckily, doc said he'll give me one last chance to deliver naturally and i finally dilated sufficiently. But the contractions were soooooo painful that i blacked out.

Never planned on giving birth without pain relief leh. And never did I dream that all three will fail. If I ever have a second kid I'm opting straight for c-section and GA..

Last edited:

CanCanMum

Hi mummies to be,

Anyone shared their birth plan with their gynae and when do you do so?

I've low threshold for pain and might take epidural but my last pregnancy i tried not to take epidural but after 12 hours of gruelling contraction from induced medication and both laughing gas + pethidine did not work for me, i took epidural but afterwards i had bad headache and vomitted non-stop. Also couldn't walk properly for next 3 days as legs still numb...any mummies have same side effect as me?

Littlemoomoo
If u have low threshold for pain, its beta to go with epidural

but if u wanna try w/o, the pains is like menstrual cramps + diarrhoea pains, but very bad bad bad diarrhoea feeling. But after 8 cm u will not "feel" the pain becoz u can start pushing the pain out haha~~~

it also depends on how fast yr labour is, coz mine was 16 hours with oxytocin drip.

stonston

Epi = to HAPPYDural :)

I took it even before contractions started. No pain at all. No side effects. If you are the type that don't get side effects when taking medication, then usually epi won't have much side effects on you. I can take those flu med that make you drowsy but I wont feel drowsy at all :)

Cos of my small built, my hb was afraid that the pain will knock me out. Then I also worried that if I faint from the pain, I need C-Section which is worse!!! Plus my friends and cousins told me: if you are prepared to use Epi, then take it right from the start. Don't act hero and end up too late to take epi!

The insertion of epi was very smooth for me cos I did not move at all cos I'm not feeling any pain! And the anesthetist could take his time to insert carefully into the right place. I've heard of ppl who struggle during the insertion and end up the needle go into the wrong place and the epi did not work at all!

Ting

agree, if u hv low threshhold, then take epi.
laughing gas is useless imo.
i didnt take epi though, but they nurse reco laughing gas to me n i took one puff n threw the mask back at her. damn smelly!!!!!!!!!!!!

CanCanMum

abut they nurse reco laughing gas to me n i took one puff n threw the mask back at her. damn smelly!!!!!!!!!!!!
wahahhahahaha~~~~~~is it like farting smell??????????? :p:p:p

actually i did consider epi but when i want it, its too last minute oredi lOlsssss cannot inject anymore lOlzzz

so its no turning back for me whahahhahaha

sO if u dddink u wan to tahan childbirth pains, den GO FOR IT

if u hav all along been the kind who cannot tahan pain, dun hesitate, just take EPI

IF u dunnO want or dunn want, den by 2cm MUST decide or it will be TOO LATE hahahah~~~

STmummy

hi jus to share my experience.
Admitted to Mount A ard 430am. Contractions started every 10 mins, tried to bear with the pain but 30 mins later, I asked for the epidural as I tot if this is the kind of pain I have to endure for the next 12 hours, I am pretty sure I cannot take it. My gynae told me if I intend to take it, dont wait till the last min as it may be abit too late.

After the epidural injection (DO NOT look at the needle if you are scare of injection. I just kept my eyes away from the doc), I managed to rest and nap till ard 12noon when they came to check on the dilation again. No pain at all cos whole legs were numbed. My baby was very alert when he was born. My gynae said so as well. No feeling when she did the sewing (was told by a friend who didnt had epidural that she wanted to murder her gynae when he was doing the sewing for her). No side-effects for me, managed to stand up and walk the next day and showered as well. As the shivering and coldness I tot is pretty much common for mummies who just gave birth cos we suddenly lost alot of body heat.

If you intend to go for epidural, take it early so that you can have some rest before the pushing which need most of your energy.

The charges at Mount A for epidural, if I recall correctly is $600+ per syringe. I had 2.

annie

i didnt take epidural as i wanted to exprience child birth's pain though i have low threshold for pain. but for my case.. dunno y... it was not painful at all.. i can still joke, eat sandwich, talk, watch tv etc until the 3rd stage of labour which means my girl is coming out then the pain started. i didnt know its the last stage of labour and it was SOOOOOOOO painful all of a sudden(doc induce me as my contraction seems to have slowed down after 8hrs) and i told doc i want epi.. then he came n check my cervix n then... he shouted.. 'bring her to labour ward, the baby is coming out!' then everyone rush lol. so my pain lasted bout 20mins i think.. no time for epi since my girl is rushing out lol. for my 2nd one i dun plan to take as well. im hoping for miracle(that 2nd bb rush out as well lol)

Ting

hi just to share my experience.
Admitted to Mount A around 430am. Contractions started every 10 mins, tried to bear with the pain but 30 mins later, I asked for the epidural as I thought if this is the kind of pain I have to endure for the next 12 hours, I am pretty sure I cannot take it. My gynae told me if I intend to take it, dont wait till the last min as it may be abit too late.

After the epidural injection (DO NOT look at the needle if you are scare of injection. I just kept my eyes away from the doc), I managed to rest and nap till around 12noon when they came to check on the dilation again. No pain at all cos whole legs were numbed. My baby was very alert when he was born. My gynae said so as well. No feeling when she did the sewing (was told by a friend who didnt had epidural that she wanted to murder her gynae when he was doing the sewing for her). No side-effects for me, managed to stand up and walk the next day and showered as well. As the shivering and coldness I thought is pretty much common for mummies who just gave birth cos we suddenly lost alot of body heat.

If you intend to go for epidural, take it early so that you can have some rest before the pushing which need most of your energy.

The charges at Mount A for epidural, if I recall correctly is $600+ per syringe. I had 2.
uhhhhh, when the doc stitched me up, b4 that he injected anesthetic, so i dun feel any pain at all.

CanCanMum

my SSS darling (BbpHir3) oso din take any epidural coz

firstly, her labour was very short, before she knew she was in labour, she was oredi i dddink 6cm dilated lOlzzzz, like this kind horr, super fortunate girl, no need epi + short and sweet labourrrr

my exboss's wife oso, labour only 2 hours nia~~~

for those with long hours of labour (like me :() beta take epi to have a good sleep while waiting, coz during labour 0 to 2cm, 2 to 4, eventually 4 to 6, i did not manage to sleep a wink *shakes head*

Last edited: