1st semi-solids

isabelandrew

my ger coming 6 months. so i need to feed her cereal right?
can mummies share w me how to know when bb ready? what did u guys feed ur bb???

thanks..

snowbear

my ger coming 6 months. so i need to feed her cereal right?
can mummies share w me how to know when baby ready? what did you guys feed your baby???

thanks..
Here're a few signs that your baby may be ready for solid foods (obtained from Is Baby Ready for Solid Food? Signs of being ready for solid foods at wholesomebabyfood.com):

Loss of tongue-thrust reflex - This allows baby to drink and swallow liquids with ease; with the tongue-thrust reflex still present, baby may simply drink in liquid purees or push the food back out. According to Dr. Jim Sears, in the first four months the tongue thrust reflex protects the infant against choking. When any unusual substance is placed on the tongue, it automatically protrudes outward rather than back. Between four and six months this reflex gradually diminishes, giving the glob of cereal a fighting chance of making it from the tongue to the tummy

Ability to let you know she is full from a "meal" with signs such as turning away from the bottle or breast. This is important so that baby is able to self-regulate the amount of food being eaten. This helps stop baby from accidentally overeating as parents may continue to feed baby thinking that she is still hungry.

Ability to sit up and hold head up unassisted

Interest in your food (we tend to disagree with this one as when a baby reaches the age of 4-6 months, he is interested in putting everything in his mouth.)

Doubling of birth weight

Frequently waking in the middle of the night when a solid sleeping pattern had been established. This may not be the best indicator that your baby is ready for solids. Please keep in mind that a growth spurt will occur between 3-4 months of age, 6-7 months of age and also 9-10 months of age. Baby may also be waking due to an illness or teething.

You can refer to www.wholesomebabyfood.com for more information about feeding baby. It's a very informative website.​

For my dear daughter, i started her on a bit of Heinz rice cereal at about 51/2mths. From 6mths onwards, i started her on barley, oatmeal and brown rice cereal from Healthy Times. She also had some Moon Rabbit Si Sen brown rice gruel for awhile. After making sure that baby's not allergic to the cereal, you can start introducing vegetable and fruit purees. Make sure you follow the 4-day wait rule (dont't intro more than 1 new food at a time, wait for 3-4days to see if baby has an allergic reaction to the new food). When you've established that your baby's not allergic to the veg/fruit puree, you can add the puree to the cereal or you may wish to continue to feed them separately.​

The url i gave you has a comprehensive guide to what to feed baby and when. :001_302:​

Last edited:

annie

my girl totally never show interest or readiness. she haven been sleeping through the night n haven wake up more also etc lol. the only thing i realise she is ready is when she looks at me eating n then started moving her mouth n licking her lips... looks like she wanna try lol. thats when i started her with solid...

smurf

my ger also like to watch me eat. i tried to put the spoon near her mouth but she shows no cue to eat.

so, upon 6 mths, just feed them commerical rice cereal?

annie

oh my girl will open mouth hehe.

i all homemade. never bought anything commercial so far for her...

Here're a few signs that your baby may be ready for solid foods (obtained from Is Baby Ready for Solid Food? Signs of being ready for solid foods at wholesomebabyfood.com):

Loss of tongue-thrust reflex - This allows baby to drink and swallow liquids with ease; with the tongue-thrust reflex still present, baby may simply drink in liquid purees or push the food back out. According to Dr. Jim Sears, in the first four months the tongue thrust reflex protects the infant against choking. When any unusual substance is placed on the tongue, it automatically protrudes outward rather than back. Between four and six months this reflex gradually diminishes, giving the glob of cereal a fighting chance of making it from the tongue to the tummy

Ability to let you know she is full from a "meal" with signs such as turning away from the bottle or breast. This is important so that baby is able to self-regulate the amount of food being eaten. This helps stop baby from accidentally overeating as parents may continue to feed baby thinking that she is still hungry.

Ability to sit up and hold head up unassisted

Interest in your food (we tend to disagree with this one as when a baby reaches the age of 4-6 months, he is interested in putting everything in his mouth.)

Doubling of birth weight

Frequently waking in the middle of the night when a solid sleeping pattern had been established. This may not be the best indicator that your baby is ready for solids. Please keep in mind that a growth spurt will occur between 3-4 months of age, 6-7 months of age and also 9-10 months of age. Baby may also be waking due to an illness or teething.

You can refer to www.wholesomebabyfood.com for more information about feeding baby. It's a very informative website.​

For my dear daughter, i started her on a bit of Heinz rice cereal at about 51/2mths. From 6mths onwards, i started her on barley, oatmeal and brown rice cereal from Healthy Times. She also had some Moon Rabbit Si Sen brown rice gruel for awhile. After making sure that baby's not allergic to the cereal, you can start introducing vegetable and fruit purees. Make sure you follow the 4-day wait rule (dont't intro more than 1 new food at a time, wait for 3-4days to see if baby has an allergic reaction to the new food). When you've established that your baby's not allergic to the veg/fruit puree, you can add the puree to the cereal or you may wish to continue to feed them separately.​

The url i gave you has a comprehensive guide to what to feed baby and when. :001_302:​
Hi Snowbear, i understand u told us to hv 4 day wait rule, same as I read the super baby book. Meaning let say I feed my ds today, hv to see any allegic reaction for 4 days wait rule, so in this 4 days I continue to feed him the same puree? hehe I m still new. pls advise

isabelandrew

im reading super baby food. it seemed that homemade is good!
but what kind of kitchen machines I need? what kind of blender?

for those who feed their bb homemade, can u share with me? Thanks :)

autumn82

Hi Snowbear, i understand you told us to have 4 day wait rule, same as I read the super baby book. Meaning let say I feed my dear son today, have to see any allegic reaction for 4 days wait rule, so in this 4 days I continue to feed him the same puree? hehe I m still new. pls advise
Yup, continue feeding the same food for these 4 days.. If no allergies, u can start on the next food.. :001_302:

autumn82

for those who feed their baby homemade, can you share with me? Thanks :)
I bought the Braun handheld Blender ($45) from courts. Pretty good. Still using it for Iggy now.. :tlaugh:

snowbear

Hi Snowbear, i understand you told us to have 4 day wait rule, same as I read the super baby book. Meaning let say I feed my dear son today, have to see any allegic reaction for 4 days wait rule, so in this 4 days I continue to feed him the same puree? hehe I m still new. pls advise
You feed the new food in a small amt for the four days to see if there's allergic reaction. Last time my dd ate tofu and she developed rashes the next day so we knew immediately that she had a soy allergy. But some allergies may take a longer time to surface so it's better to wait for the 4 days to pass.

snowbear

for those who feed their baby homemade, can you share with me? Thanks :)
You dun really need that many appliances to make your own homemade food. You can read about what's needed in chapter 2 of super baby food (The feeding area and equipment). :D

annie

i did give my girl the same food for 4 days to see allergic reaction when she was 6-7mths but i kind of stop that when she was around 8mths... as in.. i give her new food today then i dun give her anymore then introduce another new food after 4-5days... reason being.. i feel anyway i wont be giving her the same food for 4 days continuously even if i know she is not allergic to it.. thus y i need to test the same food for 4 days? lol. my girl's menu change daily de.. sometimes even 'mealy'... so i see no pt of trying to give her the same new food for 4 days...

annie

smurf, u can start with commercial or homemade rice cereal or even fruit/veg puree. not a must to start with cereal. i started my girl with fruit puree in fact...she only get cereal when she was around 7mths old. throughout the 6mths she was only taking fruit or veg puree...

You feed the new food in a small amt for the four days to see if there's allergic reaction. Last time my dear daughter ate tofu and she developed rashes the next day so we knew immediately that she had a soy allergy. But some allergies may take a longer time to surface so it's better to wait for the 4 days to pass.
Thks snow bear:) r u SAHM? Ist time mummy, hope I can cook for my dear son. Can I ask? as my ds coming 6mths, when JUST starts having his puree, issit alot to hv single puree ard late morning and porridge in the aftern? thks 4 advise

annie

not snowbear here but then u better start your bb on a single meal at first then after 1 mth u can increase to 2 meals a day. is there any special reason y u want to give your bb 2 meals now? if u want to feed your bb puree n porridge, u can give him together in the same meal either by mixing them together or give them seperately in the morning...BUT since he just started taking solid, u better give him only 1 kind of food for at least 4 days to a week before adding new food... so dont give both now.

snowbear

Thks snow bear:) are you stay at home mum? Ist time mummy, hope I can cook for my dear son. Can I ask? as my dear son coming 6mths, when JUST starts having his puree, issit alot to have single puree around late morning and porridge in the aftern? thks 4 advise
Yes, i'm a stay at home mum. :)

When JUST starting baby on semi-solids, better to give only 1 meal first. Anyway, when baby first eats semi-solids, he may only eat a few teaspoons of food! :D

When you mean feed porridge, is it plain porridge or does it have other ingredients inside? If it's plain porridge, you can mix the single puree with the porridge in 1 meal instead of giving it at 2 separate meals. Remember the 4-day wait rule though when it comes to feeding more food and giving him combinations of food.

After baby starts to get used to eating semi-solid food then you can increase the quantity and the frequency of feeding. :)

Last edited: