2 years old toddler refuse to eat

hapimint

Hi, I am asking on behalf of my sister who has a 2 year old toddler. He refuses to eat most of the time.

He is in childcare but can refuse to eat lunch and teabreak there. Even when he is home, he rejects dinner. He will just take his milk and goes to sleep.

He is not underweight but is losing weight fast. He likes to drink water and milo and milk alot. But at 2 years old, that is not giving enough nutrients but he simply refuses to eat. Whenever we try to feed him, he will give a sour face, spit out the food and hide his face...

Do you ladies have problems like this and how do you fix it? I am so worried for my nephew, seeing how he totally skipped his dinner and/or lunch...

snowbear

Has he been always like this? Or could he be tired of eating the food? Maybe change the variety of food and see how? Also, at about 2years, their molars may start to emerge and that's quite painful so they may reject food for awhile till their molars cut through.

Ting

maybe he doesnt like the food there.
my suggestion will sound cruel, but it shld work.
if he's hungry, dun give him milk.
give him food.
if he doesnt eat, then so be it.
when he is hungry, he will eventually eat up.
since he is alr two, she can restrict the number of milk intakes. ie 3 times per day.
2 year old shld be able to understand simple instructions. ask your sis to let him know, milk will be given 3 times. morning, noon n night time.
tts it.
then rest of the time, offer him food ie porridge, rice, noodles, pasta. and snacks ie bread, cheese sticks, crackers, fruits, yoghurt.
by giving in to his requests for milk only, she will be encouraging him not to eat other food.

sometimes, kids r just lazy to chew...might be a bad habit too.

CanCanMum

how long has this been going on?

will making the presentation of the food more interesting help? Like make a cute cartoon face using food?

losing weight is not a good sign.....any possibility of seeing a nutritionist for advices?

so far baber does have some low appetite seasons, but will be back to normal after a while......

hows the food given in childcare like? Does yr sister know the menu?

hapimint

When he was younger, he only eat those dry biscuits cos he refuses to eat then the maid took the easier way out so gave him biscuits.

Actually we tried the method of only giving milk to him in the morning and night but he can still refuse to eat. We offered porridge, mee suah, rice whenever we go out. Even mashed potatoes. But all rejected. We bring him to swensens breakfast and tried feeding him eggs, he started crying and struggle and went to play. My sister tried to starve him till evening to see if he will eat but he can just ignore food...

My sister has a elder son in the same childcare. Not facing any issues with the food. In fact, the teachers there are worried that my nephew is not eating. This has been going on for months. Normal?