A choice for your children.

mummy

Hi Mummy

Why is it so good to be in a single session? My son's sch is, and i thot afternoon session better, can sleep later so not so tired. Then what can they do in the afternoon, assuming they dun have much homework at the lower pri level?
when comparing the time - morning/single session seems to have positive impact on the kids.

waking up early is a good habit one could adept... and usually by 6yrs old (k2) most kids at that age, don't want to take afternoon-naps.

my son actually gets ready for bed at 7.30pm... but you know lah... slow-motion action... by the time he really gets into bed it'll be by 8pm.
and he wakes up 6.15am. so sleep wise he is getting more than enough.
school dismissed at 1.30pm, school bus departs 1.40pm and he reaches home by 2.15~2.20pm.
shower, change have a light snack and start doing his homework, if any, revised his work, spelling, ting xie, and putting at least 1hr for devotion / bible studies with me everyday.
dinner would be early by 5.30~5.45pm, after dinner he gets to watch usually 1 or 2 tv prog./cartoon till 7.30pm.

if in the afternoon session, i guess time-management not so productive, as i have seens relatives' kids, ended up sleeping late, unable to wake up in the mornings, not enough time to deal with school revision in the morn' before leaving for school, etc...
and in the afternoon, sometimes weather makes one sleep, after a recess:tlaugh:that's what my cousin's p2. gal complaines... feeling sleepy in class!!

vion

my dear beloveds,
I really don't get everything...why is there a need for balloting? does all schools here needs to be ballot or selected only? everytime you enrol to the next level needs to be ballot?
Mae dear, not all schs n not all levels need to go thru balloting. All tis discussion oni affect those registering for P1. In some prestigious schs n some gd neighbourhood schs, getting a place in them r really difficult.

Most 1st timer mummies here has to go balloting cos the remaining placements in the sch is limited. Thus when there r more applicants than placements, balloting will b called for. With those with 1km given the priority then those between 1-2km then beyond 2km.

vion

Hi Mummy

Why is it so good to be in a single session? My son's sch is, and i thot afternoon session better, can sleep later so not so tired. Then what can they do in the afternoon, assuming they dun have much homework at the lower pri level?
IMHO, I wld prefer my dd to b in the morn session. My dd is currently in the afternoon session, on a normal sch day with no homework, dinner, bath n tv takes up the 2-3 hrs she had b4 her bedtime at 10pm. On a day when more homeworks were given or spellings to be learnt, she'll hv no time for tv. As dd attends Chinese Characters Recognition Class on one of the weekday's evening, time is simply not enuff for her.

Hannah

Oh i c...

My son will be in st andrew's jr next yr, single session school.

But the thing is, even now at K2, he'll wait for me to come home from work then he'll do his school work. I'm just afraid that he'll do likewise next year.

I've been trying so hard to make him do some work at home. But hasn't really succeeded yet :embarrassed:

stonston

jus kpo here....

actualli FAMOUS or NEIGHBOURHOOD school does not matter....

most impt is u must AGREE with the school's way of teaching n like e school environment....

different schools, be it famous or not, has certain cultures n u must accept e culture in e school lor....
example certain schools expect e kids to be v disciplined n will not hesitate to punish...
some schools believe in 'love education' n do not discipline e kids...resulting in alot of unruly behaviour tt is hard to detect at home cos they r totalli different at home....
so will u choose a school tt enforces discipline? or one tt runs on 'love education'? there r also schools tt have a good balance of both, but not top school or not v gd at academic results.....

frustrating to choose schools (esp when u can choose a school in 3 different areas, IL's place, parents' place or own place)....

for me personalli i will choose a school tt instills good moral values n enforces discipline...academic wise i believe i can guide my kids at hm so tt is less impt....

btw, b4 u make ur choice, i always advise parents to take a day off n sit in e canteen of e sch u intend to send ur child to....n observe e kids....is tt e behaviour u want fm ur kids? how easy was it to get into the school? is it the type of security u r looking at for ur kid at school? how did e teachers treat e kids? is it how u want ur kids to be treated?

my couz's did this n she realised tt there is a big difference in the students fm different schools (both r neighbourhood schools with similar 'rankings')....difference in terms of behavior....n e visits she made helped her reaffirm her choice of school....
not a popular school, but her son is doing v well over there now n is considered extremely good for a kid with hyperactiveness....