Advise for 2nd baby

joanneang

hi mummies,

I'm 33yo. My first boy is due in 3 months time. My hubby is dying for a baby girl and wants me to "try one" soon after my delivery. Any advise?

Thanks

stonston

If yours is normal delivery, can try ard 3-4mths after you deliver :) chances of striking also higher.

If is c section (be it planned or emergency), you need tolet your wound heal first. Can try again after 1yr or as your gynae advice.

camom

Adding my 2-cents worth...

Having a baby is a major event in your lives. IMO, you must feel ready to have No. 2, don't get rushed into it. Why don't you decide only after your No. 1 and also seek advise from your gynae in the meantime? He/she might be the best person to advise you since he/she has been looking after you & your bb's health for the past 7 months.

I had c-sects and my gynae told me give it at least 6 mths break in between should I decide to get pregnant again. This would allow for the internal wound to heal properly and minimise the risk of rupture should I get pregnant cos my bbs are not small.

Phoebii Cheng

And also I would advise you to let your body rest for a while before you hv your second, cos' mentally and physically it is tiring if you r still BF and pregnant at the same time, cos' bb below 1yrs old they undergo a lot of changes which you hv yet to discover and being pregnant at the same time makes you tired and all most of the time

But of cos' you can if you want, I hv a friend who was pregnant with 2nd child when bb is abt 9mths but her hubby is very supportive of her

Ting

yeah i also agree not to rush into having a second child, i mean, your first child isnt born yet!
having a baby is not as easy as it seems, even if your hubby is very supportive of hving #2.
your health also plays a part.
i think u shld hv your #1 first, rest for a while n then plan for #2 if all goes smooth n well.

We started trying for #2 when #1 was about 6months. He's 20months now and #2 is 6weeks old :)

There are a lot of things to consider, in particular, childcare arrangements. I would also suggest you see how you and your hubby cope with #1 first before deciding on the gap between him and #2. Family support is also very important.

We decided to have #1 & 2 fairly close since I thought it would be more fun for them growing up together with little age difference. Also, as parents, our energy level is a little higher, versus two years later when we are two years OLDER. Finally, since we are hoping for a #3, cannot wait that long in between each one ;) Though our plan has been to have #1 & 2 close, and #3 can wait a little bit longer :)

As for breastfeeding, if you plan to do so, your menses may not resume. In my case it did so I didn't have to stop. In fact, I breastfed my elder one till about 1 week before I delivered. Supply dropped DRASTICALLY wihen I got pregnant with #2 but had a stockpile of EBM and he latched on in the morning and evening. There are some who say that breastfeeding may induce labour but my doc said it was okay. My #2 did come rather early - at 35weeks, but was healthy at birth and didn't need extra stay in the hospital :)

Last edited:

TANZHENZHI

Hmm you should let your body rest for a while before planning for 2nd one. When i gave birth to my son, i also want to have #2 as soon as i gave birth then my gynae advise me to wait after a year for my body to recover. Mine is natural birth and everything goes smoothly. But when it comes to looking after the newborn it's not going to be easy. You should wait for your 1st one to come out then decide again. :) Good Luck and wish you a smooth delivery.

cmeilim

i asked my gynae before this question. he said from a medical health point of view, it will be best for mummy's and baby's health that the gap between two births to be at least 18 months apart, meaning can try after baby #1 turns 9 months old. I trust my gynae cos he has four sons!!! in terms of baby #1's adjustment, gap of 1 year or less is good in that he/she would not have started turning too possessive of or used to parents' exclusive attention yet.

You may also want to read this useful article here.

Are you ready for another one? | BabyCenter

NursMama

sorry... but what if your 2nd baby is also a boy??? :err:

i agree with most mummies here... should give your body time to rest... at least when your elder is 1yo, then can try for the 2nd baby? JMHO :001_302:

Queenbabe

If u can manage by looking after yourself... no harm trying after when your 1st baby is 6months old onwards.... no guarantee boy or girl. My hubby also want a girl for no.3 but too bad is a boy again... Good luck:tlaugh:

ilovemilk

i asked my gynae before this question. he said from a medical health point of view, it will be best for mummy's and baby's health that the gap between two births to be at least 18 months apart, meaning can try after baby #1 turns 9 months old. I trust my gynae cos he has four sons!!!
cmeilim, let me guess, your gynae is dr paul tseng? hehe

kenxf_03

hi mummies,

I'm 33yo. My first boy is due in 3 months time. My hubby is dying for a baby girl and wants me to "try one" soon after my delivery. Any advise?

Thanks
Hi joanneang,

As wat other mummies mentioned, its best to hold on ur plan for having # 2 cos to take care of a baby isnt as easy as ABC. Somemore this is ur 1st pregnancy. There are quite a few factors to consider..

For me, I'm expecting my #2 and is due in coming Apr. And my #1 is will be coming to 1 yo when # 2 is born. Hb and I love kids and we tot to "close" factory b4 30yo. Hence, we dont mind our kids to be of close age. We juz tot of trying for #2 and who knows we really got it. Too bad both are boys! Was hoping for a gal for # 2 actually.. Anyway, after my #2, I wanted to rest for a few yrs b4 hoping for #3. It can be tiring to take care of a baby and got preggie at the same time.

Cos its not possible to rest when I'm a SAHM and taking care of my No 1 by myself. Lucky, Hb is there to give me moral support and helping me with those hsechores.

Hence, I urge u to consider 1st b4 u tried for # 2.