Antenatal Programme - Anyone going? It is important?

Phoebii Cheng

I took the antenental programme when I had my son two yrs ago....I find it impt cos' at least it is a preview of what to expect by teaching u the breathing techniques during labour and what is contraction, how to know when to go to hospital, how to bathe bb, what food to eat and what is the ideal weight gain for mummies etc....

But of cos' you might opt not to go too.....:tlaugh:

blackpiggy

I attended antenatal class when I was pregnant. Can't say its important, but rather its helpful. Helps to prepare you for labour and how to take care of your baby etc. Its good to attend one esp. if you r taking care of baby yourself :)

joelhoon

I like to prepare myself and understand what to expect ...
I wanna go for the section, but i am working..is there any other place instead of KK. It's too far..
I stay in Tampines..

blackpiggy

I wanna go for the section, but i am working..is there any other place instead of KK. It's too far..
I stay in Tampines..
every hospital has antenatal program, maybe you can join other hospital's program where its nearer for you. there's also companies organizing these classes, but i supposed they are more expensive.

Phoebii Cheng

I stay in Tampines..
It is better to go where u r gg to deliver ur bb...tht time for me, I decided to deliver at KKH so I took the programme there....like what blackpiggy said, other hospitals have antenental programmes too

Which hospital u r delivering?

sunburst

I didn't attend coz I was just plain lazy to set aside a fix time each week to go. Instead I read up at my on time on what to expect for labour & learnt OJT from my mum on looking after bb.

fern

i attended the one by mount. alvenia. If you are going, would advise you to not go alone cos some of the sessions need 2 people to partner, so it can be awkward if everyone else brought a partner. The class i went, there was a lady alone and she "disappeared" after 2 lessons...

Phoebii Cheng

i did not attend :001_302: simply too lazy.. will learn from mom and CL :001_302:

Either you learn frm the elderly or CL or the antental programme....if you attend the programme might be ur expectation & the CL or the elderly's expectation is diff

For me, the CL did not meet my expectations so I felt frustrated cos' I feel she is using old method to take care of my bb, for e.g the class teach to just use a nappy cloth with cool boiled water to wipe the umbilical cord of bb, but she use the wet cotton ball and when it stick to the cord, she use her hand to pluck it out....causing pain to my son, this is just one example

So it is good to just adopt one method and accept it, if not will cause confusion:tlaugh:

joelhoon

Thanks for the advise everyone!

My hubby don't seems keen to go with me...so i might not be going...:embarrassed:

skt

has anyone attended the antenatal programs at Parkway East? I will like to hear some reviews before deciding to sign up there.

lyra

i went to the Mt Alvernia one n its gd. its gd bonding time with hubby too. it teaches many ways of bb care that conflicts with older generstions way of doing things. i like that bcoz i could learn new things n share w other caretakers. lucky they r open minded enough to accept. a frens mil isnt so accepting n had many conflicts w her son n dil over different method of bb care. when her own daughter got preg, the mil especially warned her not to.attend such classes else she will become very fussy, n she said infront of my fren...

Qookie

I went for the Parkway East hospital one! :)

It's very good. Very informational. My favourite was the massage sessions where they teach husbands how to massage their poor pregnant wive! Haha. After that, i enjoyed a nightly massage that really helped me ease my tight muscles...

Now that my baby is 9 months old, no more massages! Haha. No time also ;)

skt

Qookie: Sounds good to me. :) Does it include sessions on what's going to happen and what should husband and wife do during the labour?

Bearpawz

I have signed up for Mt A classes starting Apr. Check with the person in charge, as my edd is in July, Apr should start taking classes already. looking forward to learning

Qookie

Hi SKT! :)

Yes they do cover things like breathing exercises to help with labour, types of labour, types of pain relief, stages of labour and it even includes bringing you to their labour ward (where the action takes place!). Haha.

It's pretty comprehensive if you ask me.