Any experience mum who has a dog and a new born baby?

christine77sg

It is my 1st pregnancy and I have a small dog who is abt 4 yrs old. I m not sure how do parents handle baby and dogs at the same time.

My main concerns as follow:

1) Dog is barkish, may wake up sleeping baby
2) There is alaways alot of furballs in my house, not good for baby?
3) Both hubby n myself works. hw do can we plan time for the baby, as well as dog daily?

Hope someone can give me some recommendations. Many thanks in advance.

ling.er

It is my 1st pregnancy and I have a small dog who is about 4 yrs old. I m not sure how do parents handle baby and dogs at the same time.

3) Both hubby n myself works. hw do can we plan time for the baby, as well as dog daily?

Hi mummy Christine, I myself have a dog which was 3 yr old.. & june im goin to june..
1) Hmm for try separate room for baby & dog.. Mayb tat help.

2) i read it from a book is say tat baby wun contract canine diseases but they can catch worms & get flea bites. Mayb u trim ur dog fur to the shortest.

3) Try reduce the number or walks . Or get home member to help out.

If u are staying with parent .. While they feeding ur newborn u can try play with ur dig awhile.. :tlaugh:

It is my 1st pregnancy and I have a small dog who is about 4 yrs old. I m not sure how do parents handle baby and dogs at the same time.

Hi, I have a 3 yrs medium breed Japanese spritz, he's very barky and naughty too. JS have long coated fur. 2 mths before my girl was born, I shaved him off but mainly due to the hot weather. When I brought my girl back from hosiptal, I send him to boarding for a month as I worry he would bark and wake my girl... But I soon realise my worries are unnecessary. My dog co-sleep with us in the room, every now and then he barks in my room when my girl is sleeping but it seems that my girl is totally fine with him barking while asleep. There was once I read a book about animals and baby living together. It stated that if you have a barky dog, need not worry that when the baby is born, she/he will be awaken by the sound that the pets cause, as the baby in yr womb has heard the sound before and can recognize the sound. Now my girl is 7mths and gets on perfectly fine with him. Pets brings up the immune systems in babies. I'm sure you will be fine with yr nb and dog.

christine77sg

Thank you all so much for your wonderful advise. I am so worry as my parents and siblings keep persuading me to give up my dog. Always say if this happen, baby will b affected and things like tat.

I was almost convince tat to giv up my dog was the best for the arrival of my baby....after all, I waited more than 5 yrs to have this baby. Very precious. :wong19: But still, I love my dog, although he is extremely naughty.

Now, with your advise, I am clear of my choice. :Dancing_wub:

Thank you all so much for your wonderful advise. I am so worry as my parents and siblings keep persuading me to give up my dog. Always say if this happen, baby will b affected and things like that.

I was almost convince that to give up my dog was the best for the arrival of my baby....after all, I waited more than 5 yrs to have this baby. Very precious. :wong19: But still, I love my dog, although he is extremely naughty.

Now, with your advise, I am clear of my choice. :Dancing_wub:
I was in yr suitation before, I took a yr to conceive, parents kept asking me to give away my dog but I insisted NO, as I didn't want to be like thoes irresponsible owner who gave them away for some ridiculous reasons unless it's really a vaild reason. A pet is for life! To date, my girl and dog sleeps together on the same bed once my Hubby leaves for work. Dogs have feelings, when they see something so small moving and crying, they are sure get curious but do introduce them slowly once baby is born. It gives them a kind
of security to know you still love and care for them. Needless to say, enjoy motherhood and brush away all the pets worry, I'm sure everything will turn out fine.

xlan

i hv a mini schnauzer of 6yrs old now.. dun usually bark unless strange noise outside our door.. ever since i knew i was pregnant.. i started to get hold of every opportunity to let my dog's ear lean against my tummy.. n ask her did she hear any heart beats inside.. i'd tell her that heart beats she heard will be her little sister/brother.. as soon as doc confirmed i'm hv'ing a boy.. i told my dog to feel this little brother in my tummy.. sayang her head n tell her to sayang little brother as well.. next time when little brother is born must not bully him.. must protect him n love him.. play with him.. mommy n daddy still love u as always.. let's us all welcome this little brother home, ok.. blah blah blah... keep telling her abt the new member.. n i tink she seems to know too.. i ever read in books that it is advisable to introduce to ur dog abt ur new member as early as possible.. so that's how i do it..

my eldest brother has a welsh corgi at home.. consider medium sized breed.. but ever since his dog gets to know abt the newborn (my nephew).. since the day baby brought home.. my brother told him tis baby is his little brother n tat he has to protect him n love him.. blah blah blah.. n it did worked.. his dog is so protective that there were a few times baby fell off frm sofa.. his dog was the 1st 1 to react n went underneath the baby acting as a huge cushion before baby slide off frm his back.. n baby was not hurt at all!!! he'd rather hurt himself n not let the baby fall hard on the floor.. how sweet animals can get!!! we simply love them!!

kenxf_03

Hi christine77sg,

Hope these helps! :tlaugh:

I also worried about this issue before. But what I do I asked husband to place a hanky or a small towel once baby is borned. the day before I discharge, asked husband to take the hanky/towel home and let the fury kids smell smell and then intro them there will be a baby coming home the next day and no matter what, we still love them. Hope they'll love the baby as much as we we love them too. And the next day, when I'm discharge with baby. They only look at baby awhile and they didnt bark at all.

I just sayang them when I got home and intro them that baby is home and they were to take care of baby and not to bully him. Both get along very well. And when the fury kids bark occasionally, baby does wake up awhile and then went back to sleep pretty fast.

With fury kids at home, we gotta watch out for hygiene more strictly. what I did is vaccum and mopped the floor before letting my NB sleep in the living room on his rocker bed.

I do separate the fury kids away frm the NB cos worried they may go and disturb him. But occasionally, I'll let them out and then sit by the side of my NB and then asked the dogs to sit beside me and intro my NB to them. This can be done with supervision.

Seriously speaking, I dont have much time for my fury kids as much as before. So what I did is to ask husband to shower the fury kids with more love and attention. Then myself, take care of my NB. But when my NB is sleeping, i take the opportunity to accompany them awhile and sayang them.

When dear son is older, brought the fury kids and dear son together for a short walk. And dont be surprise that your dogs will look for you when your NB is crying and need your attention. They will bring your attention to the Nb's direction. Its really a very sweet scene! :001_302:

christine77sg

Thank you all for the affirmation.

Somehow I m having more courage now. Although my dog can be super stubborn, persistent and/or silly. (Ever since the day I had him, almost 90% of the nite, we have to coax him to sleep, cos he is always whining, looking for someone to play w him). My hubby has more experience rearing dogs, and he says he has never come across a dog like him, so silly, always hv to repeat the same routine and not learn fr it. :p

I am thinking of thinking of sending my dog for boarding for my confinement, so we cn understand the "pattern" of my baby before having my dog ard. :).

kenxf_03

Thank you all for the affirmation.

Somehow I m having more courage now. Although my dog can be super stubborn, persistent and/or silly. (Ever since the day I had him, almost 90% of the nite, we have to coax him to sleep, cos he is always whining, looking for someone to play w him). My hubby has more experience rearing dogs, and he says he has never come across a dog like him, so silly, always have to repeat the same routine and not learn fr it. :p

I am thinking of thinking of sending my dog for boarding for my confinement, so we cn understand the "pattern" of my baby before having my dog around. :).
ur dog is so CUTE!!! Still nd coaxing b4 he can slp.. Sound like a baby too! haha!

For myself, I took quite some time ( as in few mths) to understand my baby pattern and when he reaches growing spurt, we need to tk note of his new pattern again. In short, it take some time to understand baby's pattern. U'll be amazed how his cries for hunger sound like or he wet his diaper or poo in his diaper. : )

christine77sg

I am so looking forward to experiencing all these. All babies are so unique in their own ways. :)

Ya, can u imagine I have to say "Go sleep; No: Quiet" almost every night for at least 10 times to my dog before he really goes to sleep?!

I hope he will grow out of this soon....can't imagine how I cn coax my baby and my dog to sleep every night in future. :-(

ecym

Hi Christine - your dog four years old already, not consider young in terms of dog age. Maybe you should start training him by ignoring him when its bedtime before your BB arrives. Just tell your dog "good night" and leave him alone... Does your dog sleep with you in the same room?

xlan

agree with ecym, actually the fury kids they know how to take care of themselves naturally.. esp grown ups.. n sleep is really not a problem they will go to sleep when they feel tired.. jus talk to him nicely leave him alone ignore for a while.. soon he'll get wat u mean..

actually ever since i'm pregnant n as my tummy showing more n more obvious.. our dog noticed things been different.. n started to behave differently.. sometimes throwing tantrum more often.. so we show her assurance we still love her no matter how things been changed lately.. after a while she'd get the message n back to norm.. they r jus like human...

so christine, jus imagine ur dog is a grown up 28yr-o adult.. i'm sure u will not worry abt such issue to coax him to sleep right? ;)

agree with ecym, actually the fury kids they know how to take care of themselves naturally.. esp grown ups.. n sleep is really not a problem they will go to sleep when they feel tired.. just talk to him nicely leave him alone ignore for a while.. soon he'll get what you mean..

actually ever since i'm pregnant n as my tummy showing more n more obvious.. our dog noticed things been different.. n started to behave differently.. sometimes throwing tantrum more often.. so we show her assurance we still love her no matter how things been changed lately.. after a while she'd get the message n back to norm.. they r just like human...

so christine, just imagine your dog is a grown up 28yr-o adult.. i'm sure you will not worry about such issue to coax him to sleep right? ;)

Agree :tlaugh::tlaugh:

I have 2 dogs at home. Both very sticky to me. They still sleep with us at night. Though they are not allowed in the room if I'm not there.

Even before I switch off the lights. My duos would have already found a place in the bed room for resting. So I just go over to them, give them a kiss on the head and tell them good night.

The moment I switch off the lights, both already resting and lying there..

of course, there were days where they simply don't want to sleep or rest so both of them will start playing with their own toys. If they get a bit TOO noisy, I just tell them firmly: MUMMY WANT TO SLEEP. BETTER KEEP THE NOISE DOWN.

Either they just simply discard the toy and go back to rest or they simply just walk around the room..

Sometimes we have to firm and just ignore them. Soon they will realise, by doing that, they are not going to have your attention.

Hope it helps :001_302:

christine77sg

hmm... I m nt sure the problem is with us or my dog. Cos ever since we hv him, he has been sleeping in the kitchen. He can't come out, cos his is fenced.(Only at night, when we sleep) So many yrs we didn't change anything abt it. But as soon as we go to our room to sleep, he will start whining and making small "barks" to get our attention. So we have to start saying "No; Quiet; Go sleep" until he finally gives up. It has been lik tat all the while. Sometimes he can b so persistent tat our patience runs dry and we hv to beat him. :(

My hubby who has had many dogs before, says he has nvr come across a dog lik tat. I think it is jus my dog's unique chracter. Very stubborn.

I hope he will change whn the baby arrives. We are still working vry hard on it. :)

I just heard from my colleague that whn she was pregnant, her gynae told her to keep a distance from dogs and cats. Anyone knws why? So what abt us dog owners?

woo22

i still believe my ms knew that i was pregnant even before i knew..he was sniffing my tummy almost each time i sit down!! he does bark a lot..esp when dh arnd..i m the pack leader..so he knows that he cannot bully me or misbehave..when dd came along, she was ok with his barking..when she started to crawl, she was chasing him (fortunately she crawled for a while only...but poor dog got scared when she started walking!! he would hide under tables n chairs..i really pity him when she learned how to bend down and avoided banging her head..he really - bo lor chau - no way to run!!
she is almost 2 now..she is squeling a lot and chasing him around!! my poor ms is almost 6 n fat...poor boy..sometimes he cannot tahan and will growl! so we try to keep her away from him when she gets hyper!!
we hv a 2mth old boy now...i guess my ms will get very busy trying to avoid the kiddos!

Ashbaby

My baby is not afraid of dog's barking, he got use to it in the tummy. Many dogs owner also tell me the same thing.

Yah have to keep cleaning up the house. I magic clean the house everyday.

Have to do proper planning. My HB walks and bath the dog, I feed the dog.

BTW, something good abt having a dog, my dog run to me the very first moment she hear my son cry.

SH74

i hv 2 chihuahuas at home. they hv free run in d house all d while but aft i hv my boy, i corner an area for them n let them out to run 3 times a week. i think there's nothing much u can unless u hire a maid to help u w d cleaning. i only expose my boy to d kids when he's half yr old. b4 dat they can see but cant touch each other. :)

i am trying for a baby, and i have a toy poodle at home. I have 2 kids, boy is 9, girl is 6, and my dog does nip at them occasionally, and we had 2 incidents when the kids bled from the nips...very small wounds, but nontheless, some bleeding...very worried if i hv a little baby or toddler at home, wht would happen...my hubby read somewhere in the papers that in the US, a baby was left alone with the trusted family dog for a while, and the parents returned to find that the dog had gnawed off the baby's hands and feet....dunno how true that story is, but sending chills down my spine

xlan

but who in the right frame of mind would leave a baby alone w/ a dog? common.. get real.. dun scare yourself la..