Any other methods to give medicine to your child?

THE SAID'S

Hi apollo,

Hmm my son is smart, before he take something, must see first what is tht before open mouth.....:tlaugh:

Your son so good readily open mouth let you feed
Hello Phoebii, now i realise that i'm not alone ... We are in the same boat! Wow, whenever my boy (now 20months) gets sick, i'm a mummy in distress. My boy is smart enough to know that what i'm feeding him is medicine or food. I tried all methods but always ended up having the medicine dropped to waste. I even tried the 'forced' methods e.g pinning him down, pinching his nose etc, but my boy ended up struggling with me. And i dont't like the idea of forced feeding the medicine to him. Now, i always pray that he doesn't fall sick .. otherwise, he is sick and i'm in stress!

Ting

Jasobias mummy n Ting dearie, i think the both of you MUST keep ALL the medi at safe places!!! cos my ex-neighbour's boy once drank half a bottle of his cough syrup!!! -.-"""
dun worry dearie, pin knows she cant take meds herself. she only open the fridge to take her cold water n snacks. -.-" only when i wanna take med for her to eat then she kpo wanna take herself. :tlaugh:

CanCanMum

Jasobias mummy n Ting dearie, i think the both of you MUST keep ALL the medi at safe places!!! cos my ex-neighbour's boy once drank half a bottle of his cough syrup!!! -.-"""
Baber once drank whole bottle of his fever medicine (45ml)

he still comes running to me and was so proud of himself "Mummy i noe how to finish my medicine!!!!"

wahpiangzzzz my heart almost stopped pumping sia siiii woooo

we gave him plenty of water after tat, so dangerous

it happened within 3 seconds only

Phoebii Cheng

Hi Phoebii,

Oh, you surely need to hide the syringe from him. While he is seated, let his attention focus on the toys, quickly tilt him and SQUEEEEEZE in the medicine. Remember to choose 'new' toys like a ladle that he has never seen before.

It's tricky I know...takes a lot of practice.

By the way, always 'taste' the medicine and start with the 'sweet' ones first like paracetemol and leave the antibiotic to the last, cos that taste awful.

Good luck!

P/s: call me Justina cos mumsafari is my website name...haha!
Hi Justina,

Oops sorry ya, nv did tht....hmmm will try with new toys with him, but you r using the small syringe right? where did u buy them frm? cos' mine is those big one

Phoebii Cheng

Hello Phoebii, now i realise that i'm not alone ... We are in the same boat! Wow, whenever my boy (now 20months) gets sick, i'm a mummy in distress. My boy is smart enough to know that what i'm feeding him is medicine or food. I tried all methods but always ended up having the medicine dropped to waste. I even tried the 'forced' methods e.g pinning him down, pinching his nose etc, but my boy ended up struggling with me. And i dont't like the idea of forced feeding the medicine to him. Now, i always pray that he doesn't fall sick .. otherwise, he is sick and i'm in stress!
Hi,

Yes, this time my son fell sick after a long time thts why....I hv not tried pinning him down and pinching his nose, cos hubby said it's cruel to do tht later my son has nightmare

Does ur son has nightmare?

Phoebii Cheng

Baber once drank whole bottle of his fever medicine (45ml)

he still comes running to me and was so proud of himself "Mummy i know how to finish my medicine!!!!"

wahpiangzzzz my heart almost stopped pumping sia siiii woooo

we gave him plenty of water after that, so dangerous

it happened within 3 seconds only
Hi cancanmum,

so is baber ok then after tht?

CanCanMum

Hi cancanmum,

so is baber ok then after tht?
thank god he was ok....phew!!!

anyway have u succeeded in feedin the medicine?

does offering sweets help?

When baber was younger, i feed him medicine when he was playing with his toys, coz he seems distracted, and normally straight after his milk feed. I used his usual feeding spoon to feed him, not the spoon provided by the clinic. Some medicines are fruit flavoured and infact he likes to drink :p

i dun mix medi with food or milk coz i scared he rejects food lOlzzz.....but can try coz some parents does tat coz no other choices.

force feeding - i have tried a few times but it makes him cry and cry and threw up his milk and medicine together, haizzzzzz *shakes head*

clinics will sometimes give u a feeding syringe, tat pumps medicine into their throats, for those who refused medicine, have u tried tat oso?

now tat baber is older, he takes medicine straight from the bottle haha~~~pours by the required ML~~~

D

Dream*Mum

I work as clinic assistant for my advise to you all one thing:

-Don't anyhow place ur medicine that children can reach that will cause them over dosages and hurt children aka children stomach "gastric"

-Anit-bio and other medicine cannot mix with hot water or warm water cos will damage the drug = useless drug. Only room temper water (tap water is the best) so the only thing to feed them is by treat or try to find a way if still cannot the last thing will be cruel method only.

-Fever medicine every 6hourly and check their temp. 38 above doctor will give them nurofen or ibrufen also every 4hourly but if the temp drop change back to dhomal aka panadol 6 hourly. (Is ok to give them water)

Justina

Hi Justina,

Oops sorry ya, never did tht....hmmm will try with new toys with him, but you r using the small syringe right? where did you buy them frm? cos' mine is those big one
Yes, small 3ml syringe. It comes with the medicine prescribed. But it is easily available from pharmacy and very affordable to, probably S$0.20 - S$0.50 per piece if i remember correctly.

By the way, is he still unwell? What happened to him?

Phoebii Cheng

thank god he was ok....phew!!!

anyway have you succeeded in feedin the medicine?

does offering sweets help?

When baber was younger, i feed him medicine when he was playing with his toys, coz he seems distracted, and normally straight after his milk feed. I used his usual feeding spoon to feed him, not the spoon provided by the clinic. Some medicines are fruit flavoured and infact he likes to drink :p

i dont mix medi with food or milk coz i scared he rejects food lOlzzz.....but can try coz some parents does that coz no other choices.

force feeding - i have tried a few times but it makes him cry and cry and threw up his milk and medicine together, haizzzzzz *shakes head*

clinics will sometimes give you a feeding syringe, that pumps medicine into their throats, for those who refused medicine, have you tried that also?

now that baber is older, he takes medicine straight from the bottle haha~~~pours by the required ML~~~

No did not succeed in feeding him the med...he will clench his teeth tog and simply refuse to let the syringe in...even his CC teacher oso find it difficult these days to feed him the med....

He don't like sweets or rather he dun know how to eat sweets yet, so ....

Phoebii Cheng

Yes, small 3ml syringe. It comes with the medicine prescribed. But it is easily available from pharmacy and very affordable to, probably S$0.20 - S$0.50 per piece if i remember correctly.

By the way, is he still unwell? What happened to him?
Ok will try to get it frm pharmacy then....

Yes, he still got the cough and slight flu, it's been two weeks....his phlegm still there....

THE SAID'S

Hi,

Yes, this time my son fell sick after a long time thts why....I have not tried pinning him down and pinching his nose, cos hubby said it's cruel to do tht later my son has nightmare

Does your son has nightmare?
Hi Phoebii, my son doesn't have nightmare but he becomes phobia when he sees me holding a spoonful of medicine. He seems to know what to expect next and next ... And his immediate reaction is to either struggle hard or just pushes everything out! Ehm, you are extra lucky coz your hubby is around .. and mine is permanently stationed overseas. Well, i have not't resorted to brute force so far .. which i hope not. Now, his elder sister is having fever .. and again, i hope he doesnt't catch it from his sis. I asked the pediatrician yesterday, and she said, try to mix the medicine with his favourite drink/s. Maybe you can try this method. But, i wonder if the taste will be different and knowing kids nowadays are so smart .. they can even smell rats! hee hee hee.

apollo

Phoebii, how come the clinic didnt gif u the syringe? cos usually they will give..

frankly speaking, i feel that since ur baby is not 'cooperative', u shd proceed to the 'cruel' method. i noe it is v cruel to see them struggle and cried even louder. but no choice, for the sake of his health.

hope he get well soon =)

camom

Hi camom,

I cannot use this, my hubby will say me very cruel...I also thot of tht, but more heartpain to see my son sick....

How to persuade my hubby to use this method?
I am the very direct type, I will tell him to go and feed the kid himself. Then see which mtd works for him and follow next time. :001_302:

Phoebii Cheng

Hi Phoebii, my son doesn't have nightmare but he becomes phobia when he sees me holding a spoonful of medicine. He seems to know what to expect next and next ... And his immediate reaction is to either struggle hard or just pushes everything out! Ehm, you are extra lucky coz your hubby is around .. and mine is permanently stationed overseas. Well, i have not't resorted to brute force so far .. which i hope not. Now, his elder sister is having fever .. and again, i hope he doesnt't catch it from his sis. I asked the pediatrician yesterday, and she said, try to mix the medicine with his favourite drink/s. Maybe you can try this method. But, i wonder if the taste will be different and knowing kids nowadays are so smart .. they can even smell rats! hee hee hee.
My son is smart, he knows when we put the med in the milk...so when we give it to him, he will taste a bit first then he dun want to drink any more.....even now he knows at the CC after bf, the teacher will start to prepare the med, but before tht he will start crying and struggling

Phoebii Cheng

Phoebii, how come the clinic didnt give you the syringe? cos usually they will give..

frankly speaking, i feel that since your baby is not 'cooperative', you should proceed to the 'cruel' method. i know it is very cruel to see them struggle and cried even louder. but no choice, for the sake of his health.

hope he get well soon =)
They give the spoon....I want to force him, but if you know my son, he will struggle until sweaty and face red, then my hubby will say stop, think of better method....but what? he tried to mix with water, but my son oso dun want to drink....children these days v smart

Phoebii Cheng

I am the very direct type, I will tell him to go and feed the kid himself. Then see which mtd works for him and follow next time. :001_302:
I told him to feed the med himself...but still he don't force one...my son dun want just let it be

apollo

They give the spoon....I want to force him, but if you know my son, he will struggle until sweaty and face red, then my hubby will say stop, think of better method....but what? he tried to mix with water, but my son also dont want to drink....children these days very smart
spoon feed medi to babies is abit tough for parents n babies.. syringe will be a better choice..

my pd's nurse taught me a useful way to syringe-feed baby medi.

lets say u hav 3ml of medi to feed, press in 0.5ml into his mouth, wait till he swallow den shoot in another 0.5ml.. in case u shoot in all at once he will spit out all.. this works for ds, but not all the time.. cos when he is getting impatient, have to do it fast.. haha..

kohym

Alpha Male
actually it's good to slowly syringe in bit by bit... esp if ur child knows how to gag..

my 2mo girl nearly choked when we gave her a little too much and she start gagging herself... gave us a big scared when she couldn't breathe...