April 09 MTBs!

ping26

Jia you, I think the interrupted sleep should soon pass, at most a few more mth...gambate! But I think u should try a sling or something. My helper uses the sarong sling for milk feeds sometimes (the lil girl keeps jumping off lap) - her arm is usu wrapped ard baby like normal carrying. It takes away some of the weight & acts as safety harness (cos I'm scared Christine will fall off if she struggles.) When baby is drowsy, u can relax ur arm :)

I don't know how to use sling well but my helper is very good with it.

I think I have to wake up at 1x per night for milk feed for quite some time cos Christine's a tiny grazer. She drinks abt 700-1000ml per 24 hrs but weighs only 8.5kg & measures abt 70-72cm. She eats 3 meals but small portions. She loves rice & porridge & meat but hates mushy stuff (ie most fruit & cereal). pui pui pui She only eats pear & apple. I blend meat & carrots for porridge, everything else is cut in tiny chunks now.

How much does yr girl drink? Maybe u try putting a tiny bit of meat to flavour the porridge to get her used to taste.

Yes, every baby will have the stroller struggle, esp when she can walk. For now, Christine seems to struggle less. We use distraction - let her hold biscuit box, special sweet wrapper or sing to her. She just freezes at times. Or I flatten the stroller, so she can't arch her back. HAHAHa.

If u have a pair of extra hands, it makes a lot of difference.
I'm not patient towards adults, I'm only nice to kids cos they are so cute. It helps that I have a wicked sense of humour, so I actually enjoy SOME (not all) kids' pranks & silly tantrums.

I prayed very hard during preggie cos if my baby has special needs, I told God then I will have no time or energy for other kiddies. I feel very blessed. Even my hubby who's very scared of babies, enjoys Christine (but he's still very lazy).

Hope your baby gets well soon! Some mummies give baby vits. (appeton, I think) We still sterilise hands cos I bought too many bottles.

Don't worry, when she starts to talk, it should get more fun. You must think positive!

My girl can't finish her food too. And she hates meat. Whenever there is meat in her porridge, she would spit everything out. Guess meat requires chewing and she is lazy to chew.

Glad that Christine has been putting on weight :) What's her weight now? My baby is about 9.5kg. Can you imagine I have to carry and rock her for 1-2hrs before she sleeps??? My back and arms are breaking. Sometimes (increasingly) when we are out, she would struggle when placed in the pram and I have to carry her...

My girl can understand (I think) "no", "kiss", "bye bye", "clap hands", "twinkle stars", but that seems to be it.

I'm trying to encourage her to talk by pointing out objects etc to her. Let's hope her first word appears soon.

You sound like a really patient Mummy ping. Wish I could be like that. My girl has been testing my patience from Day 1. Sometimes, I get so frustrated I break down :( And whenever we are out, I can't help wondering why my girl isn't as guai as other babies...

Oh, and my girl is sick AGAIN! She has been having a fever every 2 weeks! Since she was 9mths!!!!!!!!! Every 2 weeks!!!!!!! SIGH.

Last edited:

ping26

Glad that this page is alive again...

me too :)

We would be throwing her party on 11th April instead of the actual day. My invites list is endless cos of many close friends and relatives. I think it would be fun...

We had a big party at full mth, so I'm skipping this party cos most of my friends & relatives don't seem to celebrate 1st birthday. I only attended one! But Christine's doing the rounds, meeting many of my girlfriends this mth. hee...

When I tell her ballet dance, she will lift up one leg to the back while holding on to something. haha.. this is so funny. When we pretend to scold her naughty girl, she will pout and give you the scrunched up face.

so cute!!! I've got to teach her this. Just got her a cute tu-tu dress for her birthday. Christine likes to make roaring sound whenever she sees a lion. hahaha

Sigh... I just wish she would walk soon, if not I really worry.
This is so funny. I think Mummies just can't help worrying - one abt talking, one abt walking, me abt weight & height.
Christine still can wear some Mothercare stuff for 3-6mth. :embarrassed: mostly clothes for 9mth.

Christine just called me mum or ma yesterday :001_302: Before that, every human is ah-ma. As u can imagine, only ah-ma was beaming away like a lamp. She has more than 20 words & sounds now.

sugarcookie

WOW! 20 words is fantastic!

I wish my girl would just SAY something (correctly) and not just babble.

My sis is a PD and she told me to watch out for autism.

If my girl turns out to be autistic, I don't know how I'm going to manage :(

This is so funny. I think Mummies just can't help worrying - one about talking, one about walking, me about weight & height.
Christine still can wear some Mothercare stuff for 3-6mth. :embarrassed: mostly clothes for 9mth.

Christine just called me mum or yesterday :001_302: Before that, every human is -. As you can imagine, only - was beaming away like a lamp. She has more than 20 words & sounds now.

ping26

WOW! 20 words is fantastic!

I wish my girl would just SAY something (correctly) and not just babble.

My sis is a pediatrician and she told me to watch out for autism.

If my girl turns out to be autistic, I dont't know how I'm going to manage :(
hi sugarcookie,

Most babies have 1st word like mama, car, ball, ard 12-15 mth. Give your baby some time.

My younger niece was also quite difficult until ard 2 yr old. She screamed and floored whenever anything didn't go her way. Now, at 2.5 yo, she can speak a little but still strong-willed. My niece may have a language or learning difficulty in future. Sometimes, difficult kids without language can appear autistic.

It is worrying when the advice comes from yr sis & PD. If u like more info, CHAT is an autism screening tool for 18 mth babies. Help Autism Now Society CHAT Screening Tool

My advice is to just enjoy your baby as much as u can now cos she'll only be one once in lifetime.

u can do more pointing w your girl. If she's not into books, get a giant poster w tactile/touchy bits. (I like things that can't be thrown or messed up) Point to your girl & make her point back. It'll help with joint attention/reference, ie your girl will understand better what u r trying to communicate. The tactile bits encourage her to explore her pointing finger.

babies have slow processing speed & are forgetful. Christine still loses words. On some days, she can forget bao-bao & stuff. She also takes a longer time to say new words (retrieve auditory sound & talk/oral-motor). I tell my hubby to wait abt 1-2 sec. My helper, MIL and even colleague get too excited and bombard her w words sometimes, interrupting her thinking process, depriving her of a quiet moment. When a baby is concentrating, it's best to wait patiently :001_302: before offering help.

Don't worry too much. Else, u may miss some wonderful moments now. Try to savour the fun moments cos that'll keep u going.

BTW do u want to join Christine for playgroup at my ctr? We're offering 1 free trial in April. It's on Wed 10-11.30am.

Pls PM me if you or anyone is interested. :Dancing_wub:

Attachments

sugarcookie

Baby is ONE today! Yay!

Celebrated her birthday yesterday. Baby was ok but cried when she saw the flame on her birthday candle.

My girl is like your niece. She throws terrible tantrums which includes head banging. It's really stressful.

My sis keeps telling me it's too early to confirm autism at 12mths. Told me to really worry only if baby isn't saying any words at 15mths :/

Thanks for the CHAT link. Tried it and baby failed a few. But maybe she is still small so can't do stuff like pretend play yet.

She can't point with her index finger yet. When she sees something she likes, she will stretch out her hand and fingers. But no index finger pointing yet :(

Thanks for the tips! Will definitely try them out.

BTW, where is your centre and which date is the trial?

ping26

Baby is ONE today! Yay!

Celebrated her birthday yesterday. Baby was ok but cried when she saw the flame on her birthday candle.

My girl is like your niece. She throws terrible tantrums which includes head banging. It's really stressful.

Thanks for the CHAT link. Tried it and baby failed a few. But maybe she is still small so can't do stuff like pretend play yet.

She can't point with her index finger yet. When she sees something she likes, she will stretch out her hand and fingers. But no index finger pointing yet :(

Thanks for the tips! Will definitely try them out.

BTW, where is your centre and which date is the trial?
Happy birthday, baby! {muack}
wah, time really passes in a sleepless blink :tlaugh:

OMG 1st time - yesterday, our little baby woke up at 12am & stayed up til 2am. She didn't cry much but wanted to play & play. She has not been sleeping well cos many teeth popping. drooling & gumming. even bit my helper a few times.

Have to go library & borrow some birthday books. hopefully Christine won't squash or mess w cake :) My younger niece couldn't wait & poked a few holes in her cake last yr. hahaha. Yesterday she bit older niece out of blue. She's still many handfuls. Actually Christine is almost as destructive as her at times but she doesn't cry or tantrum much, so they come off as very different babies.

It's amazing how much babies grow every 3-6 mth. Look at my niece :) She still has some difficulties understanding language but she understands gestures and visuals much better. It helps a lot that she has an older sis cos she imitates many play ideas. That's why playgroups or CC are very good for slower kids.

most screening tools are used on toddlers who are at least 18 mth. Even then, tools only measure 'risk'. Parents will be advised/referred to speech or occupational therapy to work on respective areas of delays. Most diagnostic tests are 70-95% accurate at 3-5 yr old for developmental disability. Note : there is min of 5% error (haiz)

Just take it one step at a time. Enjoy the colourful moments.

Will PM u later abt trial lesson. I suppose this Wed is fine cos we haven't fixed apt for anyone yet. But be warned, or rather be prepared as 12-mth babes class can be kinda messy cos they don't listen to instructions well. Christine is not her usu self too cos teething & not sleeping well.

ping26

Happy Mother's Day April 2009 Mummies!!! How's everyone doing?

I had a memorable Mummy Day in form of argument with hubby.:err:

One year on, I've managed to lose 1 kg.:embarrassed: I still can't fit into a lot of my old clothes. hv to dump them. Probably may never fit into them again :( I will be busy this GSS.

Christine is growing slowly (size-wise) and still a cat-napper.
She's a fun-loving baby. I feel very blessed. She enjoys poking her nose into everything, taking things apart & listening for names. She also enjoys saying 'hi' to strangers in the morning. She "brightened" many grouchy old men's morning cuppa. haha... she just refuses to go away until they wave back at her. She keeps trying to play "boo".

I wish I could spend more time with her. She's growing up so fast.

My friend tells me I have to start queueing if I want to get a place in nursery. hmmm

sugarcookie

Oh dear, I hope everything is ok with you and hubby now.

Christine is so adorable! J can only say a few words, the most recent is "where". Sigh :\

And YES, you got to start queueing! The waitlist for some preschools is just crazy. I signed J up for Little Skoolhouse for April 2011 and I had to do it a year in advance.

Seriously, it's crazy!

And preschools are so expensive. Think I really need to return to work in order to get the MCYS subsidy...

I had a memorable Mummy Day in form of argument with hubby.:err:

One year on, I've managed to lose 1 kg.:embarrassed: I still can't fit into a lot of my old clothes. have to dump them. Probably may never fit into them again :( I will be busy this GSS.

Christine is growing slowly (size-wise) and still a cat-napper.
She's a fun-loving baby. I feel very blessed. She enjoys poking her nose into everything, taking things apart & listening for names. She also enjoys saying 'hi' to strangers in the morning. She "brightened" many grouchy old men's morning cuppa. haha... she just refuses to go away until they wave back at her. She keeps trying to play "boo".

I wish I could spend more time with her. She's growing up so fast.

My friend tells me I have to start queueing if I want to get a place in nursery. hmmm

Cream

Hi all... I was wondering how to make Kaydes talk more... haha... She does blabber alot, and very interested to say the word "star"... Everytime you ask her something, she answers "star"... And the best part is, when she sees me, she says babababa, when she sees my hubby, she says mamamama... but after that give you the widest grin. When we ask her where is mama, she will point to me. and where is papa, she will point to my hubby. You can ask her many items and she can point it out, but she doesnt wanna try to say it...

When we pretend to scold her in a firm tone, she will scream back at us (i dunno where she learns it from).

The worst nightmare... she sticks to my helper like superglue. She even refuses me or hubby to carry her when we go out. This is serious and I dunno how to break them up.

ping26

yah, sugarcookie. it sounds nutty. hahaha. our babies r barely 1 year old.

I hv to discuss preschool w hubby soon. He will be totally shocked.

Glad to hear J's talking. She's fast, you know. :tlaugh:Being SAHM really helps in speech & lg devm.

For now, I'm thinking of Marymount Kindergarten which offers a 3-yr kindie program cos it's a Catholic kindie and they accept children with special needs, mainly hearing impairment (I think). I would like Christine to be in a loving & supportive kindie.

I will prob bring Christine to work & I think we can cover the academic part easily.

Hi all... I was wondering how to make Kaydes talk more... haha... She does blabber alot, and very interested to say the word "star"... Everytime you ask her something, she answers "star"... And the best part is, when she sees me, she says babababa, when she sees my hubby, she says mamamama... but after that give you the widest grin. When we ask her where is mama, she will point to me. and where is papa, she will point to my hubby. You can ask her many items and she can point it out, but she doesnt wanna try to say it...

When we pretend to scold her in a firm tone, she will scream back at us (i dont know where she learns it from).

The worst nightmare... she sticks to my helper like superglue. She even refuses me or hubby to carry her when we go out. This is serious and I dont know how to break them up.
hey Cream,
Kaydes is still so funny. ha, she seems to like teasing a lot.

there're many checklists for speech acquisition.
early 8 : m b r j w d p h

A lot of babies pick up some of these 8 sounds 1st.
So if you find Kaydes can make more /b/ or /m/ sounds, start with those b- or m-words 1st. eg pic of Ball, Mickey, Moon, etc

typical beginning phase - 3 days to learn 1 word

Currently Christine has abt 50 words. She is picking up 10 words per week now. I think this is the next phase. Strangely she has some 2-syllable words. She is starting to try to use 2-word phrase cos there r enough nouns & verbs.

try to set routine so that she will settle down at night for book time. It also helps that Christine has 2 older cousins - 2 & 5 yo. We don't let her watch too much TV cos my hubby is afraid it'll destroy her attn span.

At the moment, we're not scolding her too much. We warn or distract her. She already knows how to do negative things to get our attn cos she'll be looking in our dirn:err:
cos being working parents, sometimes we leave her in cot, hoping she'll play quietly for a while but she'll try to reach for blinds, knowing we used to come running. Now we try not to fuss or be agitated. walk over calmly (quickly too) & pass her a toy or book & play with her for a while. Or I ask her if she wants to walk or play before she reaches for blinds.

We try not to go into power struggles cos she'll fuss or cry inevitably. So far, she doesn't tantrum much :001_302: she only screams when v excited. [cos her cousins scream a lot!!!]

I'll make a bewildered face & go "sh", then she'll be all curious & look ard. haha.

helper - spend more time w kaydes and play like crazy. leave helper at home if possible.

we hv loads of fun doing silly things, so Christine def prefers me :001_302:

(a bit concussed now cos just finished expressing BM.)

signing off. zzzzz

Cream

Wow... thanks for all the advice... I need alot of time to digest and introduce it at home... hahaha...

I did shhhh, and Kaydes would scream even louder. lol

I play with her like crazy too and when she sees me, she only wants to play. So I always fail to make her sleep. lol

As for words, she knows alot of them... just not saying it. She can point to alot of pictures on her learning chart. And she seems to have a special preference for the alphabet "O". haha... I wonder why...

Last night, she suddenly woke up and cried in a tone that we have never heard before. Scare me and my helper to death. We keep calling her name but she just cry and cry with those gasping sound and weird sound (i can't even explain it). I thought she had breathing difficulties. But after a while, she settle back to sleep... sooooo scary!

Oh yes.... Kaydes is still botak... I wonder how long more do I have to say this... lol

Last edited:

ping26

Wow... thanks for all the advice... I need alot of time to digest and introduce it at home... hahaha...

I did shhhh, and Kaydes would scream even louder. lol

I play with her like crazy too and when she sees me, she only wants to play. So I always fail to make her sleep. lol

As for words, she knows alot of them... just not saying it. She can point to alot of pictures on her learning chart. And she seems to have a special preference for the alphabet "O". haha... I wonder why...

Last night, she suddenly woke up and cried in a tone that we have never heard before. Scare me and my helper to death. We keep calling her name but she just cry and cry with those gasping sound and weird sound (i can't even explain it). I thought she had breathing difficulties. But after a while, she settle back to sleep... sooooo scary!

Oh yes.... Kaydes is still botak... I wonder how long more do I have to say this... lol
Kaydes sounds soo cute, even when botak. She is pretty too. I'm sure she'll talk soon cos she is cognitively ready. just need the right moment for the 1st sounds.

I meant I will talk very softly in "whispery" tone, not "sh". cos Christine likes unusual sounds (she can growl like a lion), she's gets distracted. I don't think it'll work for every kid.

I read a thread on "how to handle tantrums" somewhere. Little boys can be much harder to handle. hee, we're hv lil girls.

Wonder why babies wake up crying in middle of night. Christine does that too. But sometimes she talks in her sleep. At times, she wakes up & asks for weird things like book-book or milk-milk, then sleeps again!

She caught a cold fr her dada. So she's been waking up in middle of night after finally sleeping thro night. Now I caught the cold fr her. I'm dying of sleep deprivation. ZZZzz

PS she loves making sounds at mirror. that seems to help in speech too. That are times she practises her sad face & cries in front of mirror -.- in full view (talk abt fake tantrums)

ping26

hi mummies,

how r your babies?

Just want to compare some notes, have u signed up baby for any interesting programmes?

Not sure what to do with baby right now.
Nursery starts at 3 yr old which is some 2 years away.

Found a nice music programme near my place but it can only accept tots fr 2 yr +. Can't wait for next yr.

Sugarcookie, how's yr girl?

Christine's molars are popping & nightfeeds r BACK. argh... She doesn't sleep much in the first place. Her morning nap is now 30 min long, down fr 1 hr. If she sleeps 1 hr in morning, she sometimes skips her 1-hr evening nap.

OMG, she wakes up ard 4 or 5 am every morning for milk.

why am i still awake at this hr? cos she wakes up every hr... no time to shut computer down. She just gave me a heart attack by sitting up. Then she mumbled something, smiled to herself & went back to sleep. whew.

Cream mummy, does Kaydes have hair now? keke...
don't worry, it shld come b4 2nd birthday.

Last edited:

dodos

Hi, so im not alone. My gal also started waking at night and her milk.
Nap also about 30mins only. I wish she can sleep longer. I also notice she started to nap once a day only. If it's once a day it will be 1hr and if lucky 2hrs.

hi mummies,

how r your babies?

Just want to compare some notes, have you signed up baby for any interesting programmes?

Not sure what to do with baby right now.
Nursery starts at 3 yr old which is some 2 years away.

Found a nice music programme near my place but it can only accept tots fr 2 yr +. Can't wait for next yr.

Sugarcookie, how's yr girl?

Christine's molars are popping & nightfeeds r BACK. argh... She doesn't sleep much in the first place. Her morning nap is now 30 min long, down fr 1 hr. If she sleeps 1 hr in morning, she sometimes skips her 1-hr evening nap.

OMG, she wakes up around 4 or 5 am every morning for milk.

why am i still awake at this hr? cos she wakes up every hr... no time to shut computer down. She just gave me a heart attack by sitting up. Then she mumbled something, smiled to herself & went back to sleep. whew.

Cream mummy, does Kaydes have hair now? keke...
dont't worry, it shld come before 2nd birthday.

ping26

Hi, so im not alone. My gal also started waking at night and her milk.
Nap also about 30mins only. I wish she can sleep longer. I also notice she started to nap once a day only. If it's once a day it will be 1hr and if lucky 2hrs.
hi dodos mummy,

I want to hug u rite now. so comforting to know someone who understands & shares the same circumstances ...

She's mumbling in her sleep rite now. Her mantra is "walk walk" She doesn't sleep much, 9ishpm - 7ish am. She roams the whole hse abt 8 hrs & finishes her meals within 20 min these days.

I couldn't keep my eyes open. I had to nap on Sat & today - to recuperate & prepare for next week cos I work part-time.

BTW have u posted before? how's yr little girl?

thks for posting!

CJmom

wow... this thread is so long.... been so caught up with my boys to even get a proper rest; let alone a chance to be online - for long..

My son wakes up too couple of times in middle of the night but mostly cos he had dreams cos he will be crying or talking suddenly or just cos his nose got blocked. Not sure why he always get blocked nose when he's not even having flu. It irritates him a lot and we have to keep propping the pillow higher for him and turn off the air-con and rub some lavender on him to just make him "feel" better. Milk at times but not the main reason why he wakes up.

He naps just once a day now. And for at least an hour or almost 2; 3 if lucky. But he's a LATE OWL! Falls asleep only from 1030pm and that is after much difficulty which we had to bluff/"threaten" him ha ha. Even if we go through the same routine but tuck him in early 9-9:30pm, he will still just toss in bed. Haiz.

His molars are out and just the other day told me they ache so made dentist appt for him. Have you all brought your little one to the dentist? Any stories to tell?? It will be his 1st visit so I've arrange for a specialist as I want him to have a nice experience with dentist and not get phobia just like what I guess most of us went through during our primary school days where the stern nurse will come around with a name list for the awaiting "guinea pigs"??? But as with any popular dentist, the next available date is couple weeks later.

ping26

wow... this thread is so long.... been so caught up with my boys to even get a proper rest; let alone a chance to be online - for long..

My son wakes up too couple of times in middle of the night but mostly cos he had dreams cos he will be crying or talking suddenly or just cos his nose got blocked. Not sure why he always get blocked nose when he's not even having flu. It irritates him a lot and we have to keep propping the pillow higher for him and turn off the air-con and rub some lavender on him to just make him "feel" better. Milk at times but not the main reason why he wakes up.

He naps just once a day now. And for at least an hour or almost 2; 3 if lucky. But he's a LATE OWL! Falls asleep only from 1030pm and that is after much difficulty which we had to bluff/"threaten" him ha ha. Even if we go through the same routine but tuck him in early 9-9:30pm, he will still just toss in bed. sigh.

His molars are out and just the other day told me they ache so made dentist appt for him. Have you all brought your little one to the dentist? Any stories to tell??
wah, how u cope with two boys? {kow tow}

dunno when she'll sleep thro. So glad to know I'm not the only sleep-deprived mummy. hee...

My hub v stingy. He doesn't believe in sending baby to dentist so soon. I bring her along when anyone has dental apt. My helper has very very bad teeth. She's seen dentist once if u count it that way. She wasn't scared. Just explored the place.

Currently, we're seeing dentist at Woodlands polyclinic (privatised wing). Quite nice place w no queue. can share who's yr dentist?

Yr boy can tell u pain? clever boy. My girl kept touching her new tooth w her fingers. She'll open mouth & show her new molar. Then try to pry open my mouth & try to touch mine!

lovedove

Hi April Mummies...

it has been a while since i posted...Life gets busier when my gal could walk and explore, opening all my drawers, cabinets and recently the fridge!!!headache...And yeah she still wake up at least twice at night for milk...

I am also hunting for a preschool for her to attend when she reaches 18mths...Not sure if 18mths is too young as she is still not talking..just blabbering...afraid she might get bullied...Actually it is more the separation anxiety cos she is very very attached to me since i m a sahm...Currently she is attending a parent accompanied zoophonics playgroup at Suntec twice a week and she really enjoys it...she would hum the tunes of the songs and dances taught in school...Everytime when lesson ends, she would cry and refuse to go home...After class she would be so exhausted and will doze off for at least 2hours...:Dancing_tongue:

ping26

Hi April Mummies...

it has been a while since i posted...Life gets busier when my gal could walk and explore, opening all my drawers, cabinets and recently the fridge!!!headache...And yeah she still wake up at least twice at night for milk...

I am also hunting for a preschool for her to attend when she reaches 18mths...Not sure if 18mths is too young as she is still not talking..just blabbering...afraid she might get bullied...Actually it is more the separation anxiety cos she is very very attached to me since i m a stay at home mum...Currently she is attending a parent accompanied zoophonics playgroup at Suntec twice a week and she really enjoys it...she would hum the tunes of the songs and dances taught in school...Everytime when lesson ends, she would cry and refuse to go home...After class she would be so exhausted and will doze off for at least 2hours...:Dancing_tongue:
hi lovedove,

nice to hear fr u.

Playschool/playgrp shld be fun for yr girl. some kids can cope at 18 mth, but some may be overwhelmed. Just give it a try loh. I think some non-verbal kids who start nursery at ard 3 yo, may develop some speech within 3 mth.

Didn't know there's zoophonics at suntec. care to share where & contact no? It's very near my workplace. hee...

Christine attends playgrp at my ctr 1x/week. She also sees her cousins twice per wk. Sometimes, we go for playdates too. Have met 2 mummies fr this forum. I'm hunting for suitable music programme (play-play type). any recommendations?