At a loss

Drey

Hi Mummies,
Just want to share with you my experience so far and to seek some advice.
I am currently employed with a reputable company for the past 2+ years. I had applied to take 4 months Maternity leave which would end by last week of Oct. I had informed my immediate boss of my intention to work from home after the 4 months for an additional 2 months so i go back to office in Jan 2010, this was informed to him when i was 5-6 months preggie... My company reverted back to me 1 months after 1 delivered that there is no such policy to work from home, and if i insist, i would have to take a 50% pay cut.
I just dont understand why a 50% pay-cut when I will put in the same amount of hours and complete my workload as if i was in the office.
My Head of Dept boss is now trying to look at alternatives and have yet to revert back to me after 6 weeks of chasing for an answer.

I just dont know if I should pursue on with this company or resign and look for something else which is more flexible that I can look after my 3month boy.
:wong7:

when you agreed with your firm before you gave birth regarding working from home was it in black and white? either in email or letter or something like that. if there is, you can use that to dispute because during that time your boss did not specify the term of a 50% pay cut. if your boss says that it is not a policy to work from home and that there is a 50% pay cut, can he show you a policy which states that if any one decides to work outside of the office must accept a 50% pay cut?

CanCanMum

as far as i know of, work from home option is given on goodwill basis. As a company they may agree or turn their back on you anytime, even tho they promised. But accepting to work from home on 50% paycut is too serious for anyone to agree......in reality, probably they have gotten a replacement? Its really hard to say. Coz bottomline is that they are looking at the overall performance as a company more than anything else, sad to say.

mackin

Do you agree that in Singapore, they dun have full support towards working from home, unlike in US, australia....Since the birth of my son 3 yrs ago, i'm still looking for home base job and it's sooooooooo difficult to get one. Not including insurance, property, tutoring. So sad

stonston

Option to work from home is really out of goodwill.

For my cousin she worked from home. But she had to start working 6 weeks after delivering (during her ML). For every week of work-from-home-mat-leave, she gets 1 extra week to work from home fully paid. Total she worked from home for 5 months (2.5 mths during mat leave, 2.5 month extended).

CanCanMum

Most employers are doubtful about working from home, becoz as asians we are still quite reserved. Many years ago i have suggested to my Bossie to let me work from home (when Baber was 8 months old and my dad suffered minor stroke) and she immediately gave me a "HUH?" look......ya....tats how bosses perceived Work From Home arrangements.

i know its widely accepted in foreign countries but not so much in singapore yet.....hmmmm......some mindsets are difficult to change.....

spottycow

Actually if you dont't mind, giving tuition is a good way to earn money. The hours are flexible and the pay per hr is better then a FT job.

I used to give tuition, but I am now doing MLM, it is a very good health product. What I can earn from MLM is better than giving tuition, so I gave up tuition and now devote all my spare time to my MLM business. Another plus point is that it gives me flexi hours and no office politics.

Those that are interested to join me can PM me. Don't worry about not being able to do it, I will guide you along :):)

Drey

when you agreed with your firm before you gave birth regarding working from home was it in black and white? either in email or letter or something like that. if there is, you can use that to dispute because during that time your boss did not specify the term of a 50% pay cut. if your boss says that it is not a policy to work from home and that there is a 50% pay cut, can he show you a policy which states that if any one decides to work outside of the office must accept a 50% pay cut?
Unfortunately, I didnt get an immediate response back when i informed my boss of extending 2 more months to work from home. I ony got a partial response 1 month after i delivered, and that 50% pay-cut will apply.

I am now seeking justification from my bosses how they derived at 50% pay-cut since we have the technology to work from any location (even when we travel on business we are still working)

hey drey, maybe you can work with your bosses a set of KPIs that you can meet so that they also know that you are really doing work? this will be a bit tedious and might not actually be practical for some types of jobs... i think your bosses might be scared that you will be under-performing...

if not, just take half the pay and do half the work :p hehehhe...

Drey

Thanks! But I think I will resign to look after my little boy.
A hard decision espiecially during this economic time but the smiles and gurgles I receive are worth much more to be missed.
If the company really needed me back at work, they would have tried to work something out by now, but instead its me who is always asking for a work-around.

Lynnie

I'd love to be able to tender my resignation and stay at home w my baby, coz they do grow up so fast. I'm worried i'd miss her developments and milestone when i go back to work after my ML.
I believe the employer will work something out for you if they really value your expertise.
I'm fortunate enough to work for a company which is flexible, so long as you meet the KPIs and show up when there's meetings and appointments etc, with an understanding boss who have 4 kids herself : )