Baby bath products

P4nic

Hi i understand we need to get baby shampoo, baby bath, baby lotion, baby powder, diaper rash cream etc.

Do i need both baby lotion + powder? or either one will do?
Do i still need diaper rash cream if i m getting one of the above?

I intend to get california baby's hair + body wash (2 in 1) but i m puzzled about the baby lotion/baby powder & diaper rash cream. Some of them seems to have same effect?
Do i need get sunblock too?

lekdao

Hi i understand we need to get baby shampoo, baby bath, baby lotion, baby powder, diaper rash cream etc.

I intend to get california baby's hair + body wash (2 in 1) but i m puzzled about the baby lotion/baby powder & diaper rash cream. Some of them seems to have same effect?

I personally dun use powder on new born baby.
Diaper rash cream is a must to get, apply to prevent diaper rashes. Baby get diaper rashes very easily, myab you wanna consider to get Desitin creamy (light blue).
If you want can use sunblock when bring baby go out.

candy_ian

I'm using the California shapoo n body wash for my son since nb then apply the calendula cream n their diaper cream to prevent rashes. I use sunblock only when my son was older n we brought him swimming or to the park

liz2010

Hi, I use the lotion for my babies when their skin is dry. So I don't put it every day. Are you going to have a girl or boy? Girls tend to have a more sensitive skin. I put lotion on my daughter's skin much more often than my son's. Plus, if your baby is often in an aircond environment, they will use lotion more often.

For the baby powder, I use it only when they have heat rash. It's not used to prevent heat rash as the skin doesn't breath if you put baby powder all the time. But it helps to reduce the heat rash once they have it.

Diaper rash cream: actually, you don't need to put everytime as well. It's more to prevent diaper rash. Actually, you can use lotion to moisturize the nappy area. Only when there is rashes, then, you must use the diaper cream as they contain zinc that helps healing the rashes.

Sunblock: I never used it on my children when they were very young. Anyway, it's not recommended to expose them to sunlight at young age. I started to use it when they were 6 mo.

Do you know the brand Weleda Baby (from Switzerland)? I use them for both my children and the shampoo/bodywash (2 in 1) is really good. They have as well a bath cream which is soap free so very good for new borns as it's very gentle on their skin. And their diaper care cream is the best I've ever used!

Last edited:

P4nic

Thank you mummies~
i actually bought online a newborn starter kit from california baby to try out 1st and see whether good a not~ the pack consists of the hair + body wash, powder, diaper cream and another cream for cuts or injury i think. However the diaper cream comes in very small tube only.. maybe i should get another 1.

apollo

dun nd powder, use baby lotion instead. nappy cream is a must for NB babies as they will get nappy rashes easily. u can try Desitin, it can cure and prevent nappy rashes. ididnt use sunblock for ds, dun see a nd to since we're not bring him to beach or suntan =)

liz2010

I personally dont use powder on new born baby.
Diaper rash cream is a must to get, apply to prevent diaper rashes. Baby get diaper rashes very easily, myab you wanna consider to get Desitin creamy (light blue).
If you want can use sunblock when bring baby go out.
I don't really agree about that. My son never had diaper rashes and my daughter had them only once and it was due to teething. We don't put aircond at home, so they are not leaving in an aircond environment. I think if you are using good diapers, then they don't get rashes easily.

moncheri03

I dont't really agree about that. My son never had diaper rashes and my daughter had them only once and it was due to teething. We dont't put aircond at home, so they are not leaving in an aircond environment. I think if you are using good diapers, then they dont't get rashes easily.
Which brand of diaper is consider good? I thought most babies tend to get rashes unless they use clothes diapers which might minimise rashes?

Can we apply lotion on their faces to prevent milk / heat rash? Some mummies do that and using lotion eg CB, Wedela Face cream etc.

Wonder if the products really works?

ginko

Do you know the brand Weleda Baby (from Switzerland)? I use them for both my children and the shampoo/bodywash (2 in 1) is really good. They have as well a bath cream which is soap free so very good for new borns as it's very gentle on their skin. And their diaper care cream is the best I've ever used!
Which brand of diaper is consider good? I thought most babies tend to get rashes unless they use clothes diapers which might minimise rashes?

Can we apply lotion on their faces to prevent milk / heat rash? Some mummies do that and using lotion eg CB, Wedela Face cream etc.

Hi thank you liz2010 and moncheri03 for recommending Weleda Baby. Indeed, Weleda Baby is one of the best brand for Babies. A study in Germany shows that over 70% of midwives recommend Weleda Baby. The whole range contains calendula flower, or more commonly known as marigold. Calendula has anti-inflammatory, healing and softening properties. So it's recommended for very sensitive skin such as baby's skin. And it helps preventing and reducing rashes. In 2009, Weleda Baby was awarded 'highly commended' in the category Best Eczema Range in the Natural Health and Beauty Awards 2009 in the UK.

Last edited:

P4nic

if i start with using brands like CB and Wedela.. which are mostly organic and suitable for sensitive skin.. will it kills my baby's immunity? as in if next time we stop using these prodts and go back to normal ones such as kodomo and johnson.. maybe baby's skin will be more prone to rashes and such?

apollo

I dont't really agree about that. My son never had diaper rashes and my daughter had them only once and it was due to teething. We dont't put aircond at home, so they are not leaving in an aircond environment. I think if you are using good diapers, then they dont't get rashes easily.
izzit? dear son has been using pamper active (i think can consider GOOD diaper right? if not i dont know which brand is consider GOOD alrdy.) but still, once in awhile will get nappy rashes even we change his diaper as often as every 2 hours.

anw, hw can one determine her baby will NOT get nappy rashes esp when the baby is not even born yet and since having nappy rashes is consider pretty common?? and according to my pediatrician, the nurses in the ward and clinic, they told us to apply nappy rashes for baby (esp NB baby as they poo quite a few times a day) to PREVENT rashes. IMHO, best is to prepare a tube of nappy cream. Prevent is always better than curing. =)

Just my 2cents worth:001_302:

Last edited:

apollo

if i start with using brands like CB and Wedela.. which are mostly organic and suitable for sensitive skin.. will it kills my baby's immunity? as in if next time we stop using these prodts and go back to normal ones such as kodomo and johnson.. maybe baby's skin will be more prone to rashes and such?
hmm.. i not sure whether it will kill one's immunity but IMO, i feel tt if ur bb is ok with normal shower foam, not necessary to use organic ones. organics products are usually for babies who have sensitive skin or even ezcema, cos they contain no chemicals lik SLS. But some mummies prefer organic products as those chemicals are not good. =)

moncheri03

hmm.. i not sure whether it will kill one's immunity but IMO, i feel that if your baby is ok with normal shower foam, not necessary to use organic ones. organics products are usually for babies who have sensitive skin or even ezcema, cos they contain no chemicals lik SLS. But some mummies prefer organic products as those chemicals are not good. =)

u mean for there is SLS chemicals in the "normal" baby products? I've yet to check those i bought! But not sure if i'm right that SLS is one of those agents that creates "bubbles"???? Just like they have it in our shampoos..........

apollo

you mean for there is SLS chemicals in the "normal" baby products? I've yet to check those i bought! But not sure if i'm right that SLS is one of those agents that creates "bubbles"???? Just like they have it in our shampoos..........
YES! i saw this ingredient in one of the normal baby shampoo. If i'm not wrong, SLS is not suitable for babies (and even adults) who has sensitive skin or ezcema, cos will make the skin dryer (correct me if i'm wrong). and those organics one stated their products does not contain chemical lik SLS. =)

Last edited:

apollo

like what i said, if u have no skin pro, no sensitive skin and is OKAY with normal products, there is no need to use organic products unless u prefer using them =)

liz2010

Well, my kids used Pampers, Huggies and Mamy Pokko. I buy either of them depending of the promotion. Mamy Pokko only for night. I don't know if we can consider them as good nappies but at least it seems it worked for them.

liz2010

izzit? dear son has been using pamper active (i think can consider GOOD diaper right? if not i dont know which brand is consider GOOD alrdy.) but still, once in awhile will get nappy rashes even we change his diaper as often as every 2 hours.

anw, hw can one determine her baby will NOT get nappy rashes esp when the baby is not even born yet and since having nappy rashes is consider pretty common?? and according to my pediatrician, the nurses in the ward and clinic, they told us to apply nappy rashes for baby (esp NB baby as they poo quite a few times a day) to PREVENT rashes. IMHO, best is to prepare a tube of nappy cream. Prevent is always better than curing. =)

Just my 2cents worth:001_302:
You're right on the prevention side. I said that as well and I didn't say not to buy the nappy cream. It was one of the first thing I bought! I was just telling my personal experience. I have 2 kids and they didn't have so much nappy rashes. My son never ever had a nappy rash. And my daughter, who has a more sensitive skin than my son, had rashes only once when she was 15 mo due to teething. I didn't put diaper rash cream every time I changed their nappy. I didn't know that having nappy rashes is consider pretty commom. Maybe my kids were lucky on this side. Or putting to much nappy cream is not good either. Who knows? Anyway, I think it all depends of each baby's skin sensitivity as well. And better have a nappy cream at home than not.

Last edited:

candy_ian

think it all depends on the baby skin, some baby have no problem with the cheaper range of diapers with no diaper cream but some even with the gd ones n diaper get the occasional rash.. For me when my son was younger when he pooed so often ESP he's on bfding I always make it a point to apply the diaper cream for him n he's using huggies ultra n mamypoko all the time but now that he's bigger he poos once a day n I only apply it before he sleeps cos that's when he will have his diaper unchanged through the night. Diaper rash is rather common in babies I c them when I was working all the time.. :)
as for using organic stuff, to me if I can I would limit the use on chemicals for my son. I tried using j & j once when he was very little n his skin was so dry although it smelled gd since then I stopped n switch all to California baby products.. No fragrance smell like j&j but he smelled of lemongrass.. Light light smell..