can mix baby rice cereal w/milk in bottle and feed?

Porukadotzu

I've been doing this since baby 8mth old onwards untill now she's 19 mth, so wondering is this ok???

coz my girl a fussy eater, so my mil advise me to put bit of cereal into her milk and feed her.

so, anyone doing it too??

woofy55

diymummy then how do you do it? i also heard ppl telling me to mix cereal in the milk to give louis after 4mth old.

And my MIL planned to give him rice cereal soon as louis is approaching 4mths. She planned to give him in the morning (i think by spoon feeding - cos i hear her mention abt getting him use to feeding via spoon) But i don't know how she is going to make it using ebm?

Just warm up ebm and mix with cereal and feed? so a little ebm can already?

STmummy

Porukadotzu: so you have been feeding your girl with cereal in her bottle? I suppose it's pretty watery type if not can pass through the teats?
For 19th month old toddler, definitely have to start training her to eat from bowl & spoon. Dont forget that she is going to preschool soon. So you have to start training her. I started the cereal for my son when he was 5.5 month old. Had been feeding him using spoon, sat on his high chair. Now he is 13.5 month old, enjoys his cereal and is learning to self-feed now. Your girl can do it too, you just need lots of patience to train her now. Jia You! :red:

woofy55: when I prepared cereal for my son, I also used EBM. I will pour out about 60ml and heat it up then add in the cereal. If you see that the consistency is too thick, just add more EBM. I even add EBM to bananas, avocado, potato, pumpkin, scrambled egg yolk etc. He loves it!

Porukadotzu

actually,

i also hv been introducing solid food (rice cereal for 4mth bb) when my girl is 5mth old using spoon-fed. But coz her weight only gain a little bit so my mil asking me to mix cereal into her milk. i've been doing it untill now she's 19mth old...

just wondering wether its ok to mix rice cereal w/ milk... i make the bottle hole bit bigger so the cereal can pass thru.

DIYmummy> chocking hazard? oo...could be...coz the cereal sometimes not stirred well..

meiteoh

Please don't give cereals in bottle with milk to your baby.

1) It's a choking hazard because cereals can be lumpy or pastey if not stirred well causing a clog in the teat and then when baby sucks harder, the lump can dislodge and choke your baby.

2) Even if you increase the teat size, you're defeating the main purpose of introducing solids: to teach children to eat from a spoon, learn to chew, expose them to new tastes/textures (not all their foods will be in milk or puree forms and this needs to be reinforced), and develop good table manners - a few of which is eat sitting up (something that you may not learn if you keep getting your solids lying down in a milk feed position).

3) You may find it harder to wean your baby from the bottle.

My baby is also on the small side but I refuse to feed her solids from the bottle and even my mum who is on the old fashioned side told me to keep up the solid feed via spoon & bowl, and slowly increase the amount or no of feeds. I also feed her in a booster seat and have started her on self feeding recently plus eating finger foods in high chairs.

The way I look at it is sooner or later your child will have to eat from a bowl and spoon - better start them young!

Woofy, just replace the water with ebm - warm up ebm and add to cereal or other foods to make it creamier.

Phoebii Cheng

Hi,

Recently I mix cereal in my son's milk, but only for night feed....the cereals say to mix two tablespoons with 120ml of milk, but I put more milk...so the cereal is not thick, it is like milk like tht....

Cos' my son recently don't eat dinner, so the cereal is for him to at least make him full at night so tht I don't hv to wake up in the night to feed him

meiteoh

Phoebe, a number of my friends tried it and it made no difference. I also read that paeds worldwide say that solid food or introduction of cereal in milk won't make baby sleep for longer periods. Hope that's not true for your son!

stonston

Adding cereal to milk does make babies feel full for longer period of time as carbohydrates in cereal take longer to digest compared to milk. But it's not very good because if they feel full for longer, they'll take longer time to want more food/milk. This may result in their lack of appetite for other foods or more milk which contains more nutrients.

For fussy children who refuse food, try exploring other foods and bring creative with food. My boy is a fussy eater but he eats alot when it's something he likes.

littlesnake

hi all

as i m currently breastfeeding my baby, n if i wan to feed my baby with cereals, do i mix it with formula milk or breastmilk? as i alwaes let my son latch on directly to nurse, i dun pump out breastmilk at all, so do i hav to mix the cereals with formula milk instead?

n seems like its better to feed baby with a bowl n spoon rather den milk bottle rite?

Alisa

i did mix milk & cereal and let my son drink from bottle but he got choked few time so i do not do that. i will still mix milk & cereal but use spoon to feed him.

Littlemario

Hi mummies,

Im mummy with 1 yo boy.I do not mix the cereal with milk just mix with water because the little one eat the same at Infant care too.So far is ok.After 10 months we stop feed him with cereal at home and switch to brown rice and he still continue with cereal at infant care.

littlesnake

i did mix milk & cereal and let my son drink from bottle but he got choked few time so i do not do that. i will still mix milk & cereal but use spoon to feed him.
hi Alisa, how much ml of milk do u add to the cereal? how do we know how much to add for the first feeding?

diza

For first feeding, the cereal must be diluted so easier for them to swallow. When ur baby learns how to chew using his/her gums, then can try to make the cereal thicker. I never really gauge how much ml of milk to use.

Alisa

hi Alisa, how much ml of milk do u add to the cereal? how do we know how much to add for the first feeding?
for milk powder, i will add the same scoop as the cereal as i tried b4 without adding milk, my son don like the taste (thought the tin said do not need to add milk). i will add in hot water bit by bit to see the texture of the mixture, for baby less than 10mth old, it should be very smooth and watery, above 10 mth, u can reduce the water to make it more thicker. my son is coming to 2 yrs old and he still loves to eat cereal + milk mixture. (we only gave him if he is sick or do not want to eat his porriage)