cerals to add in milk?

huiyin87

my mum told me when baby abit older, can add cerals into his milk so will make him more full and can slp longer at night..

wat type of ceral r these? and at how many mths can i start mixing e ceral into his milk?

annie

rice cereal usually and after 4mths but its not advisable cos it disturbs their digestion at night when they sleep.. their stomach have to work harder to digest the cereal thus its not good for them. n also, not all bb sleep longer with cereal in milk also. some even worse as they cant digest n they wake up due to tummyache n all. i suggest to let nature take its course. or u can try to dream feed. eg your bb sleeps at 10pm then u give milk again before your bedtime when bb is still sleeping eg at 12am. some bb can sleep till morning after dream feed. this is much better for their digestion but then again not all bb sleeps longer with a dream feed as well.. u can try it. dream feed can start anytime even tonight! hehe

uddermummy

my mum told me when baby abit older, can add cerals into his milk so will make him more full and can sleep longer at night..

what type of ceral are these? and at how many mths can i start mixing e ceral into his milk?
eh, this type of practice not encouraged now. 3/4 of bbs will sleep through the night from about 3 months of age, and it's totally got nothing to do with adding cereals to their milk or feeding them solids. and it's dangerous cos they may choke on the cereals. In fact, some bbs sleep better when they are not too full.

nowadays. solids usually introduced after 4 mths, most pds would recommend 6 months...

snowbear

Yes, i agree with uddermummy and annie. Mixing cereal into the bottle with milk is viewed as a dangerous practice nowadays as it poses a choking hazard. If you wanna start cereal, feed it via spoon rather than mixing it into the milk bottle for the baby to experience the different texture. Feeding a baby semisolids before his sleep is not good for his digestive system too.

littlehelper

I think 3-4 mnths is too young for cereal.I fed a baby cereal when he was 6 mths old though it was mashed till crumbles.he still choked a little on it.

huiyin87

ic.. so meaning e cerals which my mum mention to add in milk is same as those ceral we feed them with spoon?

i tgt it was different..

then maybe i will not mix it le.. but i m like so eager to feed him ceral!!
its like so fun =)

uddermummy

ic.. so meaning e cerals which my mum mention to add in milk is same as those ceral we feed them with spoon?

i together it was different..

then maybe i will not mix it .. but i m like so eager to feed him ceral!!
its like so fun =)
yeah, giving our darlings semi-solids is really quite exciting. :p

If you are really keen, maybe you can ask your pd if you can start at 4 mths?

Not advisable to start before 4 months because bbs' digestive systems are not ready to handle anything except for milk, and giving them semi too early may cause allergic reactions. Also, up to the age of 1 year, bbs still get most of their nutrients from milk and not solids.

tika

My cousin fed her baby son cereal in his milk since 2 months old. She said its to make her baby fuller at night so he doesn't wake up to feed. I was appalled. To me, i felt that SHE'S the lazy one who doesn't want to wake up to feed her son at night. I found out 3 months later, her son who is now 5 months old STILL wakes up at night to feed. Hah.

annie

actually sometimes not cos they r lazy. like me, my girl used to wake 3-4 times at night n whole day she is cranky. i guess its cos she didnt sleep well at night.. so i decided to sleep train her somehow n she slept better n day time she is a happy child!

uddermummy

My cousin fed her baby son cereal in his milk since 2 months old. She said its to make her baby fuller at night so he doesn't wake up to feed. I was appalled. To me, i felt that SHE'S the lazy one who doesn't want to wake up to feed her son at night. I found out 3 months later, her son who is now 5 months old STILL wakes up at night to feed. Hah.
:tlaugh::tlaugh::tlaugh:
so does she feel like banging her head against the wall? :001_302:

tika

:tlaugh::tlaugh::tlaugh:
so does she feel like banging her head against the wall? :001_302:
HAHAH. yes. she's the sort of mommy who can't stop complaining abt everything her son is doing/not doing. I keep telling her no one said being a parent is easy peasy.

Hi Annie, in her case, she fed a 2 month old cereal hoping he won't wake up every few hours. 2 month old babies are suppose to wake up every few hours to feed!

annie

oh hehe then maybe she is really plain lazy ba.. i feel bb below 6mths ought to have regular night feeds unless of cos if they decide by themselves to sleep through la..

i started my girl's sleep training only when she was 7.5mths old cos she suddenly started waking up every 1-2hrs dunno y when previously she was sleeping from 9.30pm-5.30am(for milk) and then sleep again till about 8am... i didnt know wats wrong with her but i figure out that i better start to sleep train her so that she can sleep better... but then i sometimes feel she poor thing so end up stop sleep training on n off lol. only till bout 8.5or 9mths i started to be really hard hearted to sleep train her haha

tika

i started my girl's sleep training only when she was 7.5mths old cos she suddenly started waking up every 1-2hrs dont know why when previously she was sleeping from 9.30pm-5.30am(for milk) and then sleep again till about 8am... i didnt know wats wrong with her but i figure out that i better start to sleep train her so that she can sleep better... but then i sometimes feel she poor thing so end up stop sleep training on and off lol. only till bout 8.5or 9mths i started to be really hard hearted to sleep train her haha
SAME! haha. I lack the consistency too at the beginning. I sleep train my daughter when she was 9 months. On off on off. Whenever she is sick...no training at all. Must have been very confusing for my girl. Hehe.

Your girl sleeps on her own now? How old is she?

annie

hehe how u sleep train her? i tried alot of methods hehe. at first i just carry her n swing her back to sleep everytime she wakes up midnight.. but i feel very tedious n sometimes it takes her 1.5hrs to go back to sleep.. daytime she also a bit cranky.. so i think i better change a method.. then i started on CIO but i checked in every 10mins or so.. at first ok but after few days her crying suddely got worse then i soft hearted again n stopped. then now i usually jsut pat her to calm her down when she cries or lay her back down when she wakes(she always stands up immediately after waking up).. so far its working well. she usually goes back to sleep almost instantly. at times she doesnt but then i will just let her cry a while.. if still cannot i will put her on my bed without milk. then she will fall asleep after a while..think she lonely lol

she is 9.5mths now n always sleeps in her own cot in my room since day 1.

isabelandrew

sleep in her own cot? how nice.

my DD, now 6months+, crys in the middle of the night. She knocks out if we put her in between us on OUR BED!

I'm not sure when we started but it is really tiring to be patting her to sleep and put her back to her playpen in the wee hours at night. We got tired somehow and left her in between us to pat. I think she likes it and got addicted.

Both my hubby and I are having backaches because she sleep X-style (hands and legs must be stretch out). I even had her little hands behind my back (crashed in her :p) and my hubby had a hard time trying to wake me up.

I'm trying to get rid of my bed frame so that we can all sleep on the floor, TOGETHER...

Sigh sigh

annie

y not buy her a mattress on the floor n then u all can sleep on the floor together maybe with her beside u? i dun like putting my girl in between us cos i worry she wakes up n crawl to the edge of the bed n fall, or one of us will crush her.. or.. she will pull or hair, kick n punch me sometimes when she wakes up..

she sometimes after her 5.30am milk feed also will want to sleep between me n hubby so sometimes i let her lor. she dosent need that everytime though.. sometimes after milk she will sleep back in her cot..but i do realise that she tend to sleep longer in between us..

uddermummy

i have the same prob as you isabelandrew. :p. Now we're all sleeping in dd's bed in her room. We actually bought a king sized bed just so we can sleep with her!

My hubby takes 1/2 of the bed, dd takes 3/4 of what's left and I'm squashed in one tiny corner. I usually wake up with cramps all over because I have to contort myself to avoid dd. :p

But I've read so many stories about how children who share sleep with their parents eventually sleeping on their own, so I'm just taking it one day at a time for dd to grow out of the habit.

isabelandrew

i have the same prob as you isabelandrew. :p. Now we're all sleeping in dear daughter's bed in her room. We actually bought a king sized bed just so we can sleep with her!

My hubby takes 1/2 of the bed, dear daughter takes 3/4 of what's left and I'm squashed in one tiny corner. I usually wake up with cramps all over because I have to contort myself to avoid dear daughter. :p

But I've read so many stories about how children who share sleep with their parents eventually sleeping on their own, so I'm just taking it one day at a time for dear daughter to grow out of the habit.
great! im not alone. my hubby is always telling my bb (though she cannot understand) that we never factor her in when we bought our queen sized bed :p

well when u see that your bb sleep so well and soundly, y not? the irony is ... bachaches.. like u, i hv to control not to 'crash' over her:)

isabelandrew

why not buy her a mattress on the floor and then you all can sleep on the floor together maybe with her beside you? i dont like putting my girl in between us cos i worry she wakes up and crawl to the edge of the bed and fall, or one of us will crush her.. or.. she will pull or hair, kick and punch me sometimes when she wakes up..

she sometimes after her 5.30am milk feed also will want to sleep between me and hubby so sometimes i let her . she dosent need that everytime though.. sometimes after milk she will sleep back in her cot..but i do realise that she tend to sleep longer in between us..
this is security? that's y they sleep longer?

annie

yah lor. same as her naps. if i nap with her she will nap longer. but then i dun like the idea of sleeping or napping with her cos its so dagerous in case she falls off our bed..