Chewing instead of swallowing

annie

when does your bb starts to chew her food instead of swallowing? any way we can encourage chewing? should we give them harder food so that they can chew? so far ive only given my girl porridge, cereals, n small diced cooked veg n fruits.. she only swallow them..

yakii

when does your baby starts to chew her food instead of swallowing? any way we can encourage chewing? should we give them harder food so that they can chew? so far ive only given my girl porridge, cereals, and small diced cooked veg and fruits.. she only swallow them..
i think is not a wise idea to give something hard for the baby to chew..cos the baby might not be ready for harder food..but you can try a few grains of soft rice and if you see her chewing then give a little more..i start my dear son with little rice and slowly rice with soup and just rice and veg

Last edited by a moderator:

annie

my girl loves the normal rice which adults eat.. i gave her before for her meal! so she took alot! but then.. she swallow them.. not chew..so i stopped giving her that n stick to porridge instead..

CanCanMum

have you given her baby bites or those baby biscuits? Once you start finger foods they will associate with chewing coz its human nature to take and chew.....lols~~~

but once the full set of milk teeth has spouted they will start chewing coz their gums will get itchy lols~~~

annie

hmm ive never given her bb biskuits cos i worry she allergy to the ingredients inside (sometimes got egg, milk, wheat etc) and also its snack ma.. im trying not to give her any snack yet hehe

finger food.. so it can be fruits as well?? maybe i try to give her bigger chunks of fruits n see if she chew..

stonston

You can try:
1. Large pieces of SOFT fruits like papaya first. At least it's soft so if they dun chew properly, it's still ok for them to swallow. Once you notice they are able to bite/chew, try apples (cut into wedges, skin removed) or pears (can buy the soft pears as it's gentler on the gums & sweeter).

2. Bake your own rusk/biscuits. It's very easy to DIY rusks. It's basically rice cooked in milk & baked till dry/crispy. I used to make alot of this for my boy. Use brown rice & ikan bilis (for taste).

3. Soft pasta (cook longer to make it soft so it's safe to swallow if they din chew).

Ting

yah, agree with stonston.
i also let pin take soft fruits.
or u can try cereal?
there's this brand of cereal, comes in banana flavour, cant rmb the brand(but i think is gerber?). bt is quite ex de, the cereal comes in a bottle instead of packets.
the cereal is very soft. almost just melt in your mouth, maybe can let your girl try tt.
n its not very sweet, just mild banana taste.

annie

hmm stonston, i gave her papaya just now in bigger chunks. she swallow lor lol.

milk is also an allergent right? her pd advise to give her after 1yr old cos she is diagnose with an allergy constituition when born(though we dunno wat she is allergy to. might not be food also). i got allergy constituition also but not food related. mine is nose, eyes n asthma hehe. my youngest sis has seafood allergy...

pasta is made from wheat right? im also advise to refrain from giving wheat..

the cereal needs to bite de ma?

Ting

actually the cereal no need eh..
cos it melts in your mouth within 1-2 secs due to the saliva.

snowbear

hmm stonston, i gave her papaya just now in bigger chunks. she swallow lol.

milk is also an allergent right? her pediatrician advise to give her after 1yr old cos she is diagnose with an allergy constituition when born(though we dont know what she is allergy to. might not be food also). i got allergy constituition also but not food related. mine is nose, eyes and asthma hehe. my youngest sis has seafood allergy...

pasta is made from wheat right? im also advise to refrain from giving wheat..

the cereal needs to bite ?
You can buy pasta that's wheat-free. Just look out for those type, usually sold at organic stores, not sure if supermarkets carry that. :)

annie

oh got wheat free types ah? i wanna let her try macaroni leh hehe. shall look out for wheat free types of pasta!

CanCanMum

annie babe, why dun u try stonstons suggestion tat is to bake yr own bb rusks??? Coz its soft and "melts" with bb saliva, isn't it safer tat way?

my own opinions only, dun *biSh* me :p

stonston

When I make any food for my boy before he was 1yo, I always always always use BREASTMILK. I've never used any other milk until he was 1yo. Even for yogurt, I make breastmilk yogurt for him.

That's why I suggested home made rusks. You can control the ingredients. Use the FM that your child is used to or use BM.

You can find wheat-free pasta very easily in supermarkets now. Just go to the organic section. Or you can make your own pasta if you want. I prefer making my own pasta cos I like to hide carrots & green leafy vegetables inside the pasta :p

annie

whahah sounds fun to make own pasta! hehe.

oh breastmilk... never thought of it! hehe. hmm.. any online recipe to share?

stonston

Not too sure if got online recipe for this. But it's quite simple. Just cook the rice until like thick cereal, mix in the milk. If you are using FM, can cook the milk with the porridge. Then just spoon it into a baking tray lined with baking paper. Loosely cover with aluminium foil it does not burn. Then bake until it is dry.

annie

hmm do i need to grind up the rice before cooking? same as cooking oatmeal or brown rice cereal? just tat i add milk and then bake them? if dun add milk, can simply bake the cereals itself? hw long n wat temp to bake it? also, after that, its very hard right? if they cant bite it off then choke how?

stonston

hmm do i need to grind up the rice before cooking? same as cooking oatmeal or brown rice cereal? just that i add milk and then bake them? if dont add milk, can simply bake the cereals itself? hw long and what temp to bake it? also, after that, its very hard right? if they cant bite it off then choke how?
1. There's no need grind the rice. Just cook like porridge & keep stirring till it's thick like cereal. If you are lazy to keep stirring, you can grind the rice (but not too fine).

2. You can do the same with oatmeal & brown rice but the texture comes out harder.

3. Length & temperature depends largely on how much water you used to cook and how long you cook it. I dun follow recipe cos I base it on the thickness of the cooked rice cereal before I decide on the temperature & length of baking.

4. If you cooked the rice till it's like cereal, it should not be hard until they cannot bite. It's the same as rice cereals outside. It'll melt when you bite. Since it MELTS, it won't choke.

annie

melt.. ooh.. ok.. so... rice as in normal white rice ah? so just cook like how we cook porridge lor? dun add milk can ma?

annie

stonston, i found some recipes online.. stating that we can use rice flour then just mix in enough water to make into a hard dough, roll it out on a floured board n cut into slices then bake for 20mins in a 150-160c oven. is that similar to wat u did? those rice cereal(using normal rice grains) u made no need to roll out on the board n cut into shapes? if i dun add bm, jsut make the rice into cereal consistency(pasty?) then shape it myself n bake can or not? i tried making it just now using my brown rice flour and water but i think i put too much water or wat.. fail. lol. the final pdt before putting into the oven should be a hard dough??

annie

hai~ i remade it again n this time it became hard liao but then its as hard as a rock! even i have problem biting it lol. wonder where the problem lies...