Chewing instead of swallowing

stonston

stonston, i found some recipes online.. stating that we can use rice flour then just mix in enough water to make into a hard dough, roll it out on a floured board and cut into slices then bake for 20mins in a 150-160c oven. is that similar to what you did? those rice cereal(using normal rice grains) you made no need to roll out on the board and cut into shapes? if i dont add breast milk, jsut make the rice into cereal consistency(pasty?) then shape it myself and bake can or not? i tried making it just now using my brown rice flour and water but i think i put too much water or what.. fail. lol. the final pdt before putting into the oven should be a hard dough??
If you get a hard dough, the outcome will be very hard.

I dun like to use rice flour because the texture comes out very hard. As mentioned before, you need to spoon it onto the baking tray. Meaning the texture before baking is not a dough but more of a thick batter. Like pancake batter type of consistency. & it needs to be low heat (150 - 170 degrees C).

If I'm not wrong, my maid still bakes the oatmeal version in the day for my mum as snacks. I try to ask her what temperature she use.

annie

ooh.. ok.. shall try it again using just plain rice cereal then. i also use 150-160c for oven.. no need to preheat right? but then if the batter like those pan cake ones.. when baking wont spread out n become very big n messy? shall experiment it again! thanks stonston!

annie

fail again.. very hard like rock again though i use rice grains.. can it be cos i never add milk?? hmm...i cook the rice till like congee consistency then spoon into the tray n bake at 150c for about 40mins...

CanCanMum

ooh.. ok.. shall try it again using just plain rice cereal then. i also use 150-160c for oven.. no need to preheat right? but then if the batter like those pan cake ones.. when baking wont spread out and become very big and messy? shall experiment it again! thanks stonston!
paiseh i juz clarify a bit

i tot all baking needs to preheat oven???? So tat the cooking is even throughout ???? Nope???

stonston

I just asked my maid. She bakes at 150 degrees C with open door slighlty ajar to allow moisture to escape (she also aims the fan at the oven to improve air circulation). She only bakes for around 20 min. Once it's almost dry (still moist), switch off the oven & leave it in there for another 5min. Then take it out for it to cool down.

The amount of cooked oats she put in the baking tin is around 2cm height. When dried is around 1 - 1.5cm.

annie

thanks stonston! i tried baking only 20mins last night but end result is still moist so i put in n bake more till totally dry n hard! lol. but my batter i put very thin only leh. not even 1 cm.. maybe i try put thicker n see how again. my oven door if not close cannot start baking de. shall experiment with oats later..

annie

i think im successful with the oatmeal version! hehe. i made it mix with a little bit of barley flour though.. end results is a soft rusk.. like muffin kind of texture.. i gave my girl n she chews! but then she very messy with it on her hands so crumps all over the floor.. finally i cant take it so i feed her instead hehe

stonston

Being messy & making a mess is part of the learning. If you rob her of it (like how my maid dun allow my son to make a mess), she'll take longer to learn to self-feed. Like my spoilt son, till now refuse to self-feed unless it's curry (he LOVES curry).

annie

oh i never totally rob her of it la. i just break it into smaller chunks n give her so she can put into her mouth by herself.. cos if i give her the whole pc, she will just crush them up with her hands.. i wanna let her practise her pincer grasp also thus i break it into smaller pcs n give it to her.. then i also feed her while she is playing with it. she looks at it more than putting into her mouth hehe. exploring her new toy.

btw, is it suppose to be like muffin texture(soggy) or crunky n makes sounds when bite? mine, the top is crunchy but inside soft like muffin.. as if those 'lao4 hong1" biskuits leh.. hehe