Cloth diapers

k-mom

Hi mummies,

Anyone using cloth diapers for their babies? Any recommendations? Hubby and I are considering using cloth diapers when our baby's born (save money and environment) so would appreciate any advice. Also, any cloth diapered baby face problems in infant care centers? Heard that these centers would prefer to use disposables.

thanks in advance :)

adoncia

i m using cloth diapers for my girl previously.. now she doesn't wear, not even pampers... my newborn i will let him wear cloth diapers too... i find that cloth diapers not only save money and environment, but also protects the baby's skin more.. pampers is too enclose and often cause rashes to baby's skin.. even though there is no rashes, but the skin will be redish... cause it's too warm... i am not sure about centers cause my girl is taken care by my mil and maid... but i believe centers prefer disposables so that they don't have to keep the dirty and wet cloth diapers for you... it will stench too if you keep too long...

snowbear

I use Bumwear for my dear daughter 2 weeks after she was born (she's 1 year old now and still using it). She only wears disposable diapers when we bring her out for prolonged periods of time and when she goes to bed.

uddermummy

I use Bumwear for my dear daughter 2 weeks after she was born (she's 1 year old now and still using it). She only wears disposable diapers when we bring her out for prolonged periods of time and when she goes to bed.
how's the bumwear diapers? wanted to get those too but find the laundry part v siong.

how many do you have and how do you do the laundry? does it have to be changed after every poop and pee?

it's good to use cloth diapers cos i read that bbs will be toilet trained more easily than bbs on disposables. seems they don't like to feel wet when on cloth.

snowbear

how's the bumwear diapers? wanted to get those too but find the laundry part very siong.

how many do you have and how do you do the laundry? does it have to be changed after every poop and pee?

it's good to use cloth diapers cos i read that bbs will be toilet trained more easily than bbs on disposables. seems they dont't like to feel wet when on cloth.
I have 14 bumwears and 22 inserts (the inserts are for putting into the bumwear to absorb the pee). Inserts are thicker and harder to dry so i have more of em. Most of the time my dh washes the bumwear and inserts by hand at nite. :) When bb's young and more prone to diaper rash i had to change her quite often, about every 2hrs. Must change after poo but not after every pee.

uddermummy

I have 14 bumwears and 22 inserts (the inserts are for putting into the bumwear to absorb the pee). Inserts are thicker and harder to dry so i have more of em. Most of the time my dear husband washes the bumwear and inserts by hand at nite. :) When baby's young and more prone to diaper rash i had to change her quite often, about every 2hrs. Must change after poo but not after every pee.
wah, heavy investment!

your husband so nice! will wash the bumwear for you! i also want a husband like that. Where to buy huh, a husband like that???

k-mom

thanks mummies - uddermummy, you're very funny.

snowbear, is that what i should be looking at in terms of the number of diapers and inserts to buy? for bumwear, i understand there are prefolds for newborns or did you use the one size diaper straight away?

adoncia, what brand cloth diapers do you use?

snowbear

thanks mummies - uddermummy, you're very funny.

snowbear, is that what i should be looking at in terms of the number of diapers and inserts to buy? for bumwear, i understand there are prefolds for newborns or did you use the one size diaper straight away?

adoncia, what brand cloth diapers do you use?
You can go to bumwear's website. They've got different packages. You can decide based on their descriptions there. I used the one sized diaper straightaway.

adoncia

k mom, i just use the normal traditional type.. cause my girl use a lot.. 1 day can change around 10 pcs... so if u r on the budget type, then can just use the normal traditional type.. trouble part is need to fold lo... and buy the diaper wrap.. when baby is playing can use... slping, just use the cloth diaper and use the rubber mat to place it below baby...

snowbear

wah, heavy investment!

your husband so nice! will wash the bumwear for you! i also want a husband like that. Where to buy huh, a husband like that???
haha... used some of the $$ from angpows colleagues and friends gave to buy them. So didn't really feel very heart pain buying them. :tlaugh:

This type of husband ahh... cannot get off the shelves... :tlaugh::tlaugh:

uddermummy

still wondering if i should switch to cloth nappies cos i don't get a lot of sun at my place.

worried about the electrcity bills if every time have to use dryer.

snowbear

still wondering if i should switch to cloth nappies cos i dont't get a lot of sun at my place.

worried about the electrcity bills if every time have to use dryer.
I dun get sun at my place either! But they still manage to dry coz it's quite windy here at my place.

DodoTan

I use bumwear for my son too. Change every 2 hours unless poo. No need to wash by hand. I have a basin near the washing machine. After every change, will rinse the diaper then put it in the basin. Then at night do laundry, just throw all the diapers with your clothes. >---Bumwear The Fun Batik Boutique---<

I also use soapnuts to do my laundry, so there's no need to separate baby's clothes with ours. Organic, easy and eco-friendly. Costs about the same as the liquid laundry detergents. Just put 7 of the soapnut shells in the cotton bag provided and throw it into the wash. (same shells can be used for 3 washes!) No need for softeners even and clothes won't have detergent smell. Free delivery in Singapore. OneEcoStep.com, Earth Friendly Products

You can PM me if you're interested, have questions or want recomendations on other eco-friendly products. :)

DodoTan

The outer part dries quite fast. Even if you hang in the house and close all the doors and windows, it'll still dry within 24 hours. Inserts however, in the above-mentioned condition could take up to 48 hours. But usually within 24 hours everything will dry. Few people so extreme as to dry clothes in a totally closed up house/room.

I do however, use disposables at night. My son pees a lot at night. Don't know why. Tried the bumwear at night but next morning it was so heavy, a little scary. It was a wonder it didn't leak!

Last edited:

uddermummy

The outer part dries quite fast. Even if you hang in the house and close all the doors and windows, it'll still dry within 24 hours. Inserts however, in the above-mentioned condition could take up to 48 hours. But usually within 24 hours everything will dry. Few people so extreme as to dry clothes in a totally closed up house/room.

I do however, use disposables at night. My son pees a lot at night. dont't know why. Tried the bumwear at night but next morning it was so heavy, a little scary. It was a wonder it didn't leak!
i'm one of those weirdoes who tries to dry my clothes in a closed up house. :001_302: cos I live on the ground floor and there's a perv road sweeper.

hmm, but don't you need to clean the inserts more thoroughly if there's poop on them?

yeah, my bb also pees a lot at night, but that's cos she sleeps quite long at night... 10 to 12 hours...

Last edited: