Cloth diapers

karoru

glad to see this thread coz i m also sourcing cloth diapers for my boy... mayb i will also try bumwear... sounds good...

DodoTan

So glad to see more people interested in cloth diapers. Did you know that disposable diapers are one of the leading cause of pollution all over the world? Also, the stuff that goes into making disposable diapers are mostly NOT YET TESTED on their effects on humans. Those few that are already tested aren't showing good signs.

But, we're all so used to convinence that we forget that what we do to the environment, we go to ourselves, our babies and their babies. So kudus to all of us on cloth diapers. Seriously, there literally hundreds of brands, all with their own uniqueness. I just chose Bumwear cos it's a reginal brand and thus cheaper than the other US or European brands.

DodoTan

i'm one of those weirdoes who tries to dry my clothes in a closed up house. :001_302: cos I live on the ground floor and there's a perv road sweeper.

hmm, but dont't you need to clean the inserts more thoroughly if there's poop on them?

yeah, my baby also pees a lot at night, but that's cos she sleeps quite long at night... 10 to 12 hours...
The poo on diaper thing gets easier as your baby gets older. When they're younger, yes it really messy cos the poo is gooey. So what I did was to rinse off what I can then soak the rest in a basin of soapy water for about 20-30min. Sure clean one. No need to scrub at all. Now that baby's on solid food for some time now, his poo not gooey anymore. So can just pick up with tissue and flush it down the toilet. The diaper isn't that soiled. So can simply rinse with a little soap.

snowbear

I use bumwear for my son too. Change every 2 hours unless poo. No need to wash by hand. I have a basin near the washing machine. After every change, will rinse the diaper then put it in the basin. Then at night do laundry, just throw all the diapers with your clothes. >---Bumwear The Fun Batik Boutique---<

I also use soapnuts to do my laundry, so there's no need to separate baby's clothes with ours. Organic, easy and eco-friendly. Costs about the same as the liquid laundry detergents. Just put 7 of the soapnut shells in the cotton bag provided and throw it into the wash. (same shells can be used for 3 washes!) No need for softeners even and clothes won't have detergent smell. Free delivery in Singapore. OneEcoStep.com, Earth Friendly Products

You can PM me if you're interested, have questions or want recomendations on other eco-friendly products. :)
You use the washing machine every day? My washing machine is quite big so i only have enuff clothes to use it every 4-5days. My bumwears can't wait that long... :tlaugh::tlaugh:

DodoTan

You use the washing machine every day? My washing machine is quite big so i only have enuff clothes to use it every 4-5days. My bumwears can't wait that long... :tlaugh::tlaugh:
Wow. Why did you get such a huge washing machine? Usually, baby's clothes, hubby's clothes, my colthes, maybe a towel plus the diapers at least half load already.

snowbear

Wow. Why did you get such a huge washing machine? Usually, baby's clothes, hubby's clothes, my colthes, maybe a towel plus the diapers at least half load already.
The min load is 4kg. My dh and i used to only need to do our laundry once a week when we didn't have a bb. The machine was a gift from my mil when we bought our house.

uddermummy

my washer's load is 7kg... and i have to do the laundry every other day, if not every day...

yeah dodo, am slowly trying to ease dd into cloth diapers. prob will start when dd is on solids.
btw, have you tried the laundry ball? don't know whether to use that or the soap nuts...

currently using country wash

snowbear

my washer's load is 7kg... and i have to do the laundry every other day, if not every day...

yeah dodo, am slowly trying to ease dear daughter into cloth diapers. prob will start when dear daughter is on solids.
btw, have you tried the laundry ball? dont't know whether to use that or the soap nuts...

How do you find so many clothes to wash? :tlaugh::tlaugh: My machine's max load is 8kg. Every 4-5 days the washing machine will be full...

uddermummy

How do you find so many clothes to wash? :tlaugh::tlaugh: My machine's max load is 8kg. Every 4-5 days the washing machine will be full...
i leak a lot... :001_302: so i must always wash my nightie and my day time clothes.
not always full load, but at least 3/4...

and i use dd's muslin squares as breast pads! hahaha, so every day will have at least 2 to wash...plus dd's clothes some more.

in fact, i quite regret not getting an 8kg machine.

DodoTan

yeah dodo, am slowly trying to ease dear daughter into cloth diapers. prob will start when dear daughter is on solids.
btw, have you tried the laundry ball? dont't know whether to use that or the soap nuts...

I strongly recommend soapnut. Everyone I've known whose tried it hasn't turned back since.

Frenchkitty

hi can I check with mums who use Bumwear, is it everytime the baby needs a change then must change the whole Bumwear + insert, and not just the insert only?

If yes, is it safe to say that I will need 1 Bumwear + 1 insert for every change?

Frenchkitty

And sorry I forgot to ask ... Regarding Cloth diapering: is there any difference if I use the normal square white cloth nappies + liners vs Bumwear?
Cos Bumwear is obviously more expensive.

Thanks!

snowbear

And sorry I forgot to ask ... Regarding Cloth diapering: is there any difference if I use the normal square white cloth nappies + liners vs Bumwear?
Cos Bumwear is obviously more expensive.

Thanks!
If the baby only peed very little, then just change the insert. Poo or heavy pee must change both.

Normal terry cloth nappies aren't as absorbent as the insert. The insert's really very absorbent and bumwear remains dry after the pee seeps through into the insert. Normal cloth nappies get instantaneously wet and remains wet. That's why bumwear's sooo expensive :) U still need liners for Bumwear to catch the poo. :)

DodoTan

The normal cloth nappies and liners are good for newborns only. Bumwear can last all through till they are toilet trained.

Normally, I would change only the insert every about 2-3 hours. But like snowbear says, if baby poos or pees a lot (until the whole diaper is very heavy and wet), then I'll change the whole thing.

joeyz

i'm also planning to use cloth diaper, in fact oredi bought some normal cloth diaper. Only after reading tis thread thn i realised there's other type of cloth diapers (bumwear & insert). the latter is so exp. I was thinking of using the normal cloth diaper first when my baby is born, roughly how long can it last before changing to bumwear + insert? hopefully by thn, my finances improve thn wont nid to skimp and bargain hunt so much.

snowbear

i'm also planning to use cloth diaper, in fact oredi bought some normal cloth diaper. Only after reading tis thread thn i realised there's other type of cloth diapers (bumwear & insert). the latter is so exp. I was thinking of using the normal cloth diaper first when my baby is born, roughly how long can it last before changing to bumwear + insert? hopefully by thn, my finances improve thn wont nid to skimp and bargain hunt so much.
I also bought so many normal cloth diapers before i discovered bumwear. But it took me a long while before i decided to invest in bumwear and the inserts coz they're expensive. Each set of bumwear + insert can last 2-3hrs. I'd say 3hrs max coz if not the bumwear may be too wet and besides, the smell will kill you first. :001_302:

k-mom

saw the bumwear and insert but can't believe that the bumwear will stay dry after the pee seep through to the insert. really ah? how? not dirty meh? and what if the baby poos? won't the bumwear get soiled? (sorry about separated post - too excited so clicked too fast :))

snowbear

saw the bumwear and insert but can't believe that the bumwear will stay dry after the pee seep through to the insert. really ? how? not dirty meh? and what if the baby poos? won't the bumwear get soiled? (sorry about separated post - too excited so clicked too fast :))
:tlaugh::tlaugh: Yup, the bumwear can stay dry after the pee seeps through the liner and bumwear and is absorbed by the insert. If the baby poos, you need to change the baby. And yes, the bumwear will get soiled if it's a young baby (watery poo) and/or if the liner gets out of place. For me, i'd usually check the insert if it's wet. Sometimes my darling poos but no pee so the insert is still re-usable (just stuff it into the next bumwear). And sometimes when the poo is caught nicely by the bumwear and there's no pee, the whole set can be reused (with a new liner of course). :)

P.S. my baby's already 13mths so her poo is quite solid as she's eating solid food.