Cloth diapers

Frenchkitty

i'm also planning to use cloth diaper, in fact oredi bought some normal cloth diaper. Only after reading tis thread thn i realised there's other type of cloth diapers (bumwear & insert). the latter is so exp. I was thinking of using the normal cloth diaper first when my baby is born, roughly how long can it last before changing to bumwear + insert? hopefully by thn, my finances improve thn wont nid to skimp and bargain hunt so much.
Hi Joeyz Im also a Bumwear convert!
Like you, I bought 2 dozens of normal cloth nappies as advised by all my elders because their times also use normal cloth nappy.. those square pieces whereby you have to fold into the trianlge nappy shape.
Plus im a first-time mum to a now 3mth old boy so inexperienced, gotta trial and error everything.
End up, my poor mother in law has to keep washing.. and the cloth nappies dont hold pee very well so it leaks (even with the nappy cover) onto beddings and his rocker. Then poor mother in law again, gotta keep washing..

Then we ended up using disaposables full time but I think its so sinful and harmful to the environment. Not to mention waste $$.

Tonight I bought 4 pcs Bumwear + 5 inserts.. gonna wash and try them tomorrow!
Cannot stand the frequent washing and leaks already Heh..

Frenchkitty

Hi snowbear, after your baby pees in the Bumwear do you find the smell abit funny? Sorry to sound disgusting but I think it smells like saline or semen.. :err:

Im using Kodomo baby clothes detergent by the way...
other than that, Bumwear really good in holding pee!

uddermummy

Hi snowbear, after your baby pees in the Bumwear do you find the smell abit funny? Sorry to sound disgusting but I think it smells like saline or semen.. :err:

\
french kitty, you may want to try country wash (from bumwear too) or napisan (from major NTUC outlets). I find them v good in getting rid of stains and smells.

maybe can try baking powder too?

Frenchkitty

Uddermummy Alamak I just bought a refill bag of Kodomo... thanks for the recoomendation I will buy the NTUC brand one the next round.. You using Bumwear too?

joeyz

Hi Frenchkitty,

well, it's no doubt tat bumwear & insert is good but u knw i'm one of those ppl who hold back buying bcos of vit. M$$$.. Not being miser but as i'm not working and my hubby is not drawing any money (doing his own biz, gd to hear but lots of hardwork before u finally see your fruits) and are now living off on saving which i dun knw how long it can last esp little ones will be joining us in oct'09. i project it will take him till next year before he get his first cheq of cos hoping for the best.

How much did you buy your bumwear & insert? i wonder is there any bargain sales manz.

Can i ask how many cloth diaper did you use each day for your newborn?

Hi Joeyz Im also a Bumwear convert!
Like you, I bought 2 dozens of normal cloth nappies as advised by all my elders because their times also use normal cloth nappy.. those square pieces whereby you have to fold into the trianlge nappy shape.
Plus im a first-time mum to a now 3mth old boy so inexperienced, gotta trial and error everything.
End up, my poor mother in law has to keep washing.. and the cloth nappies dont hold pee very well so it leaks (even with the nappy cover) onto beddings and his rocker. Then poor mother in law again, gotta keep washing..

Then we ended up using disaposables full time but I think its so sinful and harmful to the environment. Not to mention waste $$.

Tonight I bought 4 pcs Bumwear + 5 inserts.. gonna wash and try them tomorrow!
Cannot stand the frequent washing and leaks already Heh..

snowbear

I use napisan to soak the inserts and pigeon laundry powder for the bumwear. I emailed bumwear's website before and the person who replied said not to wash bumwear with napisan. Inserts are ok.

I also do a quick soak of bumwear and inserts in some dettol (for laundry) (you can find this in the laundry detergent section).

After baby pees in bumwear it can be really smelly, esp if you leave it unchanged for awhile... ewww...

snowbear

Hi Frenchkitty,

well, it's no doubt that bumwear & insert is good but you knw i'm one of those ppl who hold back buying bcos of vit. M$$$.. Not being miser but as i'm not working and my hubby is not drawing any money (doing his own biz, good to hear but lots of hardwork before you finally see your fruits) and are now living off on saving which i dont knw how long it can last esp little ones will be joining us in oct'09. i project it will take him till next year before he get his first cheq of cos hoping for the best.

How much did you buy your bumwear & insert? i wonder is there any bargain sales manz.

You may wanna chk the section in the forum where pp sell stuff. i think every now and then someone will be selling bumwear off... :)

uddermummy

Uddermummy Alamak I just bought a refill bag of Kodomo... thanks for the recoomendation I will buy the NTUC brand one the next round.. You using Bumwear too?
i'm thinking of changing to bumwear too. Have been thinking for a v long time cos i have to do the nappies on my own. :p

Will prob start after dd starts on solids.

My dd poops and spits a lot, so her clothes are always stained in one way or another. :p

joeyz

You may wanna chk the section in the forum where pp sell stuff. i think every now and then someone will be selling bumwear off... :)
So far, i dun any ppl selling off their bumwear & insert.. but i will keep a look out. Thanks alot snowbear. :)

DodoTan

Hi Frenchkitty,

well, it's no doubt that bumwear & insert is good but you knw i'm one of those ppl who hold back buying bcos of vit. M$$$.. Not being miser but as i'm not working and my hubby is not drawing any money (doing his own biz, good to hear but lots of hardwork before you finally see your fruits) and are now living off on saving which i dont knw how long it can last esp little ones will be joining us in oct'09. i project it will take him till next year before he get his first cheq of cos hoping for the best.

Actually, if you do a quick and simple calculation, you will find that getting bumwear is cheaper than using disposables. Only diff is that you buy disposables a bit at a time so you don't feel it. Furthermore, if you have more than 1 kid later, your other babies could continue to use the bumwear too! Even more savings. Try it yourself. Pick a brand of disposables that you would use, estimate 1 diaper every 3hr until your child is 2 or 3 years old. Compare that with a bumwear package deal. It's worth it.

Last edited:

amiin

i have prepared coolababy, a brand of cloth diaper produced in China, for my baby arriving in Nov. Heard lots of good comments from my friends and has compared the material with bumwear. felt that not much different with the material but it is almost half of the price of bumwear.

lynnzo

i have prepared coolababy, a brand of cloth diaper produced in China, for my baby arriving in Nov. Heard lots of good comments from my friends and has compared the material with bumwear. felt that not much different with the material but it is almost half of the price of bumwear.

Hi amiin,care to share where u get this coolababy from?thanks

Frenchkitty

Hi Frenchkitty,

Hi Joeyz yes I totally understand what you mean.. My hubby is also self-employed and he has no benefits such as Annual leave, medical leave etc... when I gave birth he also never take leave, only time off work to help abit here and there.
But cant complain cos he gave me 3 supp cards for my & baby's shopping so I guess just gotta be understanding to our men :D

I used to change up to a dozen cloth nappies for my newborn because he peed alot and also cos I wanna keep him as dry as possible to prevent nappy rash last time.. but as he got slightly older things got better.. He pooed less and also pees less but just in larger quantity.

Last edited:

joeyz

Actually, if you do a quick and simple calculation, you will find that getting bumwear is cheaper than using disposables. Only diff is that you buy disposables a bit at a time so you dont't feel it. Furthermore, if you have more than 1 kid later, your other babies could continue to use the bumwear too! Even more savings. Try it yourself. Pick a brand of disposables that you would use, estimate 1 diaper every 3hr until your child is 2 or 3 years old. Compare that with a bumwear package deal. It's worth it.
Hi Dodo,

Actually, frm start, i'm already planning to use cloth diaper (at home) and diaposable (when going out) but mainly cloth diaper so as to save $$ as financial is very very tight now. I only got to knw abt tis bumwear/insert frm tis thread. I would def luv to give it a try but way over my budget. Hoping to find some 2ndhand one to try out first. Tentatively, will use cloth diaper first. if anyone giving away their cloth diaper, I would like to have them.

joeyz

Hi Joeyz yes I totally understand what you mean.. My hubby is also self-employed and he has no benefits such as Annual leave, medical leave etc... when I gave birth he also never take leave, only time off work to help abit here and there.
But cant complain cos he gave me 3 supp cards for my & baby's shopping so I guess just gotta be understanding to our men :D

I used to change up to a dozen cloth nappies for my newborn because he peed alot and also cos I wanna keep him as dry as possible to prevent nappy rash last time.. but as he got slightly older things got better.. He pooed less and also pees less but just in larger quantity.
Hi FrenchKitty,

At least your man still gv u 3 supp cards and i suppose he still bring back some dough$$ home, my man haben contribute to me & bb though he is trying v hard but it takes time (well cant blame him cos there's no sales yet), i've been using my own saving to pay for gnae, baby stuffs, hospital fee etc. At times, I work part time for my frd to earn some $$. As such, i need to thift n save esp for my little one. Wonder is there any job for stay home mum.

P.S. Are u a stay home mum as well? It feels good to talk to someone who understand my situation and somewhat been thur before.

Bumwear

Hi ladies,

My name is Rita and I run Bumwear. My youngest child has just been toilet trained and I have 20-25 diapers to give away to moms who don't mind used diapers.

Some of the diapers have been used by 2 babies but there is still a lot of life in them as I do take very good care of my diapers. Some are newish. I will be dividing my used diapers into 4 lots to give to 4 moms and will be mixing some newer and some older diapers in them. First come first serve please :) I will be leaving the dipes in my shop @ United Square for collection.

If you have any questions regarding cloth diapering, I'll be happy to answer them here. Thank you!

Last edited:

joeyz

Hi ladies,

My name is Rita and I run Bumwear. My youngest child has just been toilet trained and I have 20-25 diapers to give away to moms who dont't mind used diapers.

Some of the diapers have been used by 2 babies but there is still a lot of life in them as I do take very good care of my diapers. Some are newish. I will be dividing my used diapers into 4 lots to give to 4 moms and will be mixing some newer and some older diapers in them. First come first serve please :) I will be leaving the dipes in my shop @ United Square for collection.

If you have any questions regarding cloth diapering, I'll be happy to answer them here. Thank you!

Hi Rita, I would love to have some of your used baby diapers. I can meet you this Sat at your shop. I will PM my contact no and u can advice me your shop address. Thank you so much for your kindness to new mothers.

Cheers~

Bumwear

Joeyz, I can only leave it at the shop next Saturday (5 Sep 2009) as I'm not going to my shop this weekend (got to drill my PSLE boy lah :)

OK, the first lot is reserved by Joey. I will divide up my cloth diaper stash to 4 lots. Mixed colours as I diapered both my boy and girl in them. I will also include inserts.

My shop address is #01-35 United Square. If you take MRT to Novena station, there is an underground link to United Square. My shop is just above the Cold Storage.