colours to match floor tiles

tinkerball

finally getting my flat, now more things to plan. but of course i'll be happy to do that. got a resale flat and the flooring is black in colour. i want to have a cosy yet spacious look. any ideas what colours for the wall that match the black tiles? and i intend to hack one side of the wall that leads to the kitchen cos the entrance is only about one arm's length wide and its obscuring my view towards the hall. will it cos much to hack just the upper half of tha wall?

Jlty

Hi tinkerball, Im interested to have black tiles for my flooring in future as well. Dun mind you post a pic of your flooring here n let me see see? for my reference? thanks thanks..

stonston

Wall colour depends on your overall theme & furniture colour too. Black floor can match rather easily for wall colour.

tinkerball

Hi tinkerball, Im interested to have black tiles for my flooring in future as well. dont mind you post a pic of your flooring here n let me see see? for my reference? thanks thanks..
im only getting my keys in May so i cant post it yet. if u still want to wait pm me ur email address and i'll post a pic to u once i get the keys.

tinkerball

Wall colour depends on your overall theme & furniture colour too. Black floor can match rather easily for wall colour.
actually what i felt black tiles is even more difficult to match with wall colours. if not careful enough u might end up making ur place look smaller than it already is.

stonston

actually what i felt black tiles is even more difficult to match with wall colours. if not careful enough you might end up making your place look smaller than it already is.
Not really true. My uncle's place has black marble floor (very beautiful). In his living room, his wall feature and TV console is wood grain laminate with silver laminate panels. I helped him to choose a light pale yellow. Makes the whole house look very big and gives a warm cosy feeling.

His dining room I picked bright white for him cos his dining table is grey and the hanging ceiling light is silver. Very 'futuristic' look and very minimalist (same as his Zen dining set).

His kitchen is also black tiles and his whole kitchen is red, silver and black. Aluminium counter top instead of the usual solid surface :) Looks very professional.

Bedrooms he change to parquet flooring though. He still prefers wood floors in bedroom :)

Btw, I helped him picked out the colours cos he wanted to save on ID and we 'DIYed' the place. Got a foreign worker from the construction site nearby to do the painting and the tiles. We bought the tiles from a friend who is a marble floor tile supplier in SG and got a carpenter from Msia to do the carpentry.

tinkerball

Not really true. My uncle's place has black marble floor (very beautiful). In his living room, his wall feature and TV console is wood grain laminate with silver laminate panels. I helped him to choose a light pale yellow. Makes the whole house look very big and gives a warm cosy feeling.

His dining room I picked bright white for him cos his dining table is grey and the hanging ceiling light is silver. Very 'futuristic' look and very minimalist (same as his Zen dining set).

His kitchen is also black tiles and his whole kitchen is red, silver and black. Aluminium counter top instead of the usual solid surface :) Looks very professional.

Bedrooms he change to parquet flooring though. He still prefers wood floors in bedroom :)

Btw, I helped him picked out the colours cos he wanted to save on ID and we 'DIYed' the place. Got a foreign worker from the construction site nearby to do the painting and the tiles. We bought the tiles from a friend who is a marble floor tile supplier in SG and got a carpenter from Msia to do the carpentry.
wooh.. u guys really saved alot of money.. anyway juz like ur uncle's place i also wanted a cosy and spacious look. i was thinking of grey walls with white ceilings. black, grey, white. im not sure if it would turn out disastrous. went to ikea to get some rough ideas. but didnt help much. if only i could have a preview before doing the actual painting..

CanCanMum

finally getting my flat, now more things to plan. but of course i'll be happy to do that. got a resale flat and the flooring is black in colour. i want to have a cosy yet spacious look. any ideas what colours for the wall that match the black tiles? and i intend to hack one side of the wall that leads to the kitchen cos the entrance is only about one arm's length wide and its obscuring my view towards the hall. will it cos much to hack just the upper half of tha wall?
black tiles are nice but its rather intimidating to have it all over the house, especially if its the whole living area. If u have black tiles all over the house, chances are u need Bright and Sunny colours, there is no worries about wad colours to choose because black is a neutral or non-existent colour, meaning u can match black with anything.

Spacious look will depend on your carpentry items and loose furnitures in total, not only on wall colours alone.

For instance, if now that u have a black tile, the look is heavy bottom, u should bear in mind to create more wall flanked minimalist storage spaces as opposed to heavy feature walls as it will make the entire space look even more cluttered.

U can do bold colours as well as it moves the focal point away from the heavy floor bottom look to vertical and makes the space look more balanced. (Bold colours like salsa red wall on one side etc.)

Simple easy to create look would be Plain Grey walls with salsa red wall on one side, off white curtains, plain glossy egg shell white cabinets with accent wood grains, light grey or neutral colour sofa with accent wood grain coffee table, accent wood grain meaning Very grainy look wood grains. Your home will look simple, elegant and speaks individuality by itself.

Refrain from heavy feature walls and heavy woody grainy wall cabinets will not go wrong. Use white with little accent woodgrains and some bold colours will accentuate your black flooring.....

omg have i bored u with my long essay haha~~~~:001_302:

CanCanMum

for lights u should oso refrain from choosing heavy chandeliers, look for something more modern, fun and cute light fittings if u r going for pendant lights. If not u should opt for false ceiling downlights to make the space look more spacious. One or 2 pendant lights are fine and do it at the dining table will be pUUUrrrfect~~~:wong19:

tinkerball

black tiles are nice but its rather intimidating to have it all over the house, especially if its the whole living area. If you have black tiles all over the house, chances are you need Bright and Sunny colours, there is no worries about what colours to choose because black is a neutral or non-existent colour, meaning you can match black with anything.

Spacious look will depend on your carpentry items and loose furnitures in total, not only on wall colours alone.

For instance, if now that you have a black tile, the look is heavy bottom, you should bear in mind to create more wall flanked minimalist storage spaces as opposed to heavy feature walls as it will make the entire space look even more cluttered.

you can do bold colours as well as it moves the focal point away from the heavy floor bottom look to vertical and makes the space look more balanced. (Bold colours like salsa red wall on one side etc.)

Simple easy to create look would be Plain Grey walls with salsa red wall on one side, off white curtains, plain glossy egg shell white cabinets with accent wood grains, light grey or neutral colour sofa with accent wood grain coffee table, accent wood grain meaning Very grainy look wood grains. Your home will look simple, elegant and speaks individuality by itself.

Refrain from heavy feature walls and heavy woody grainy wall cabinets will not go wrong. Use white with little accent woodgrains and some bold colours will accentuate your black flooring.....

omg have i bored you with my long essay haha~~~~:001_302:
hahaha.. thanks for the tips. yup i have decided on grey with white ceilings. and yes its all black tiles all over the house. having decided on the living room now my next task will be the kitchen which also comes with black tiles. dunno wat colour is suitable or types of cabinet. i know bright colours is ideal but since this is the kitchen where stains and grease might be all over the place i really didnt want them to look so prominent. ive seen my granny's home.. beside the sink area is grown with algae and black stains. and i really dun wish to have a kitchen like that. a neat, easy to clean and non clustered area is what im looking for. was thinking of red. but dunno lehh. never seen a home with black tiles before, so its kinda intimidating to decide on the colours when i dun have a single clue about these things especially with black tiles..

Jlty

for lights you should also refrain from choosing heavy chandeliers, look for something more modern, fun and cute light fittings if you r going for pendant lights. If not you should opt for false ceiling downlights to make the space look more spacious. One or 2 pendant lights are fine and do it at the dining table will be pUUUrrrfect~~~:wong19:
Can Can Mum, U look very pro on home design n space control. R u a interior designer? Can help me to design my house? heheheh.. :tlaugh:

Jlty

CancanMum, quote me quote me.. a 4 room HDB Flat.. whole flat need to reno.. kekekekek.. cos mine is BTO..