Desperate! Anyone using a pacifier??

sugarcookie

My DD is only 10 days old but I'm already thinking of using a pacifier, even though many people have advised me against it.

The reason why I'm thinking of doing it is she can't fall asleep without suckling at my breast. And when I place her back on the cot, she would wake up and start crying. She would only go back to sleep when I place her back on my breast.

Initially, I was really resistant against using a pacifier but I'm getting desperate, especially since I'm taking care of the baby alone. My husband works overseas and can only return for a few days each month. My mother helps out but as she is working, she only comes over at night. It's really, really, really tough taking care of a newborn alone and when she is unable to sleep and cries non-stop, it is really draining.

Has anyone's baby used a pacifier? What is your opinion???

autumn82

Personally, I'm fine with pacifiers as long as yr kiddo dun get addicted to it when he/she grows up. I tried giving DS pacifier but he prefers his thumb even though I was bfing that time.

The only problem I can think of for your case would be nipple confusion coz u're still bf-ing yr baby. Yr DD might get confused if u gonna intro pacifier but not 100% all babies get confused. So it's a 50-50 thing.

It is also a good thing that your baby is suckling at your breast coz in the same time, she is also stimulating your breast for more milk supply! Just let her latch on to stimulate for more milk supply.. :) Pacifers let her use when she is gonna sleep only. When she is asleep, take it out or it will drop out. :) *relax*

rachel.ang

My DD is only 10 days old but I'm already thinking of using a pacifier, even though many people have advised me against it.

The reason why I'm thinking of doing it is she can't fall asleep without suckling at my breast. And when I place her back on the cot, she would wake up and start crying. She would only go back to sleep when I place her back on my breast.

Initially, I was really resistant against using a pacifier but I'm getting desperate, especially since I'm taking care of the baby alone. My husband works overseas and can only return for a few days each month. My mother helps out but as she is working, she only comes over at night. It's really, really, really tough taking care of a newborn alone and when she is unable to sleep and cries non-stop, it is really draining.

i always have only 1 thing to say.
Motherhood is supposed to be a happy....
So, if really giving the pacifier can help to let you breathe a while,
why not?
We have heard of cases that baby will throw the pacifier away
after they grow tired of it, so you never know how your baby will react.

If you can sustain, don't give.
If you cannot, then no harm trying.
Who knows, your baby might spit out the pacifier,
don't even want it, like my fren's baby.
So you have to think of other alternatives then,
instead of circling around this topic of whether
you should or should not use pacifier on your baby.

Just my opinion!

CanCanMum

no harm trying, babe....whats more, a pacifier is designed for babies to pacify themselves, or calm themselves by sucking somedin....so its perfectly ok to use it. Just that u need to think of how to kick the habit outta them when they are in the right age to outgrow the need. Say, about 8 months old???

My boy hates pacifiers, and he will spit it out~ lols

but i still force it in during times when he is cranky or when he refused to sleep~~~

but good thing is tat he outgrew the pacifier himself, at about 8-9 months....own self reject lols!

snowbear

I'm personally against pacifiers but i think in your case you may just wanna give it a try to give yourself a break and get a breather! After all, what could be more impt than your own sanity?

isabelandrew

it seems that this is a problem among newborn BF bb?

mine also like that. dun wan to sleep must latch on. she very insecure like that. i guess bb is adjusting.

like rachel said, u shud try to make motherhood happy lor.

for me, i tried pacificer, she dun wan? only want breast. after 2 months, she seem to settle down liao..

can u get bb sitter help in the day? u shud rest more man..

sugarcookie

it seems that this is a problem among newborn BF bb?

mine also like that. dun wan to sleep must latch on. she very insecure like that. i guess bb is adjusting.

like rachel said, u shud try to make motherhood happy lor.

for me, i tried pacificer, she dun wan? only want breast. after 2 months, she seem to settle down liao..

can u get bb sitter help in the day? u shud rest more man..
I think my baby is the insecure type too. She does a lot of comfort sucking. So how did you get her to sleep on her own? My mother suggests that I put her to bed with me but I'm rather resistant against the idea.

Am really frustrated as I find myself having to latch the baby on really often, leaving me little time to do anything else. Sigh, I would like someone to help out but my husband and I aren't comfortable with the idea of strangers in the house...

BTW, how old is your bb now?

snowbear

Maybe you can put baby in a sling? Then at least your hands are freed up.

When my DD used to do comfort suckling, my lactation consultant told me to stop her from sucking every time she was treating me as a pacifier then place her back again with normal latch. Keep doing that until bb gets the idea that you're not a pacifier. It worked for me. Maybe you can try this method...

sugarcookie

Maybe you can put baby in a sling? Then at least your hands are freed up.

When my DD used to do comfort suckling, my lactation consultant told me to stop her from sucking every time she was treating me as a pacifier then place her back again with normal latch. Keep doing that until bb gets the idea that you're not a pacifier. It worked for me. Maybe you can try this method...
Thanks for the tip! But how did you stop her from suckling? You just removed her from the nipple? I've done that a few times but she always yells her head off :( When I place her back onto the nipple, she comfort sucks again!

Angelvan

Firstly, Im against pacifiers earlier. As kids will have trouble later stage when they are addicted to it. Rabbit Teeth or words spoken not clear.
> But mum in law claims if baby keeps crying, might have lots of wind turn colic.
> If we cuddle or comfort her to help, carrying her around. Worst, it will become a habit.

Reluctantly after 1mth+, i bought one.
But i choose carefully. I have bought a smaller kind compared to our
common pacifier in those of our days. I tin the brand is "Tommy Tippe" for nb.
Glad that I resist after 1mth, so bb will think that this is not a must.

We dont use it frenquently. But at times, it really helps a lot.
So why not use a pacifier. Im into it.

snowbear

Thanks for the tip! But how did you stop her from suckling? You just removed her from the nipple? I've done that a few times but she always yells her head off :( When I place her back onto the nipple, she comfort sucks again!
Yeah, was told to remove her from the nipple, tell her not to do that then put her back on again. Sure yell and try to go back to comfort sucking after u put her back lah, but gotta keep trying until she understands eventually that nipples are for milk only. :) Will take time though. Meanwhile maybe you can invest in a sling and have her close to you without letting her suckle?

Oppsgal

Starting I am also against pacifier. MIL suggest we use it as bb keep crying. Also bought sarong, although I am against it at the start too.

Now my bb seems to sleep better in sarong with a pacifier stuck in mouth.

When turn 6 months, better to stop using pacifier. If needed, heard put chilli sauce on the pacifier to stop from wanting the pacifier. :001_302:

hubby and i were against pacifier as we were afraid that bb will get addicted

heard a few advice not to use pacifier because
1. addiction
2. bad gums
3. ugly teeth (?)

anyways, not personal opinion, dont bomb me ok...thats what i was told

so anyways, had a bit of back and forth with my mother who is helping me out

finally, after his first month birthday celebration, we got bb a pacifier...had to go through a "deal" with the hubby and my mother

NOT to use pacifier unless bb really cry like mad and we know that he is full

U see, i had the same problem...BB was starting to treat me as pacifier.
I have lil BM, so some feeds , esp at night, we use formula...yet he wants to suckle
then how do i know overfeed? a lil of the BM is flowing out of his mouth...so bascially he is suckling for comfort and letting the milk out of his mouth cos he is full

nipple confusion? well , bb has been on bottle and latch on alternate since day 3...so no problem....

am proud to say that my bb rejects the pacifier (touchwood...hope this goes on)
i use the pacifier to get at least 30secs of peace while im changing his diapers

else it really doesnt work for us...

Spiralng

Pacifier will helps alot but if you are afraid that the baby will get addicited, only give the pacifier when the bb cry.

VroomVroomBoys

Alpha Male
rachel.ang said:
i always have only 1 thing to say.
Motherhood is supposed to be a happy....
So, if really giving the pacifier can help to let you breathe a while,
why not?
We have heard of cases that baby will throw the pacifier away
after they grow tired of it, so you never know how your baby will react.

Who knows, your baby might spit out the pacifier,
don't even want it, like my fren's baby.
So you have to think of other alternatives then,
instead of circling around this topic of whether
you should or should not use pacifier on your baby.

Just my opinion!
I must say you are a very smart mummy.
:laugh: :laugh:

IMHO, parenthood is a long journey & every child is different ... so, why get yourself bogged down by problems relating to overcoming the 200th hurdle when you already have trouble clearing the 5th hurdle?
:wink: :wink:

For the record, both my boys are on pacifiers ... Seamus has stopped using them on a regular basis after we stopped replenishing the broken* ones, which was just before his 2nd birthday earlier this month.
He still playfully places his brother's pacifier in his mouth sometimes, but will quickly stuff it into his brother's mouth when we wag the finger.
:rofl: :rofl:

* broken becoz Seamus dun suck on his pacifiers anymore, he actually bites them (just like he does on the teats of the milk bottle) ... this has been the case ever since he started to have his molars growing out of his gums.

hstan15

hi sugarcookie

u shld try putting ya baby next to you when sleeping cos i heard baby can sense our presence since they are inside us for 10 mths. they will find comfort if they know we are jus right beside them.

pacifiers i heard better dont give during the first mth. not sure the reason but thats what those experience moms told me. i started giving my baby pacifier during the second month but i remove them once she is asleep cos i dont want her to get addicted to it.

CanCanMum

tough taking care of a newborn alone and when she is unable to sleep and cries non-stop, it is really draining.
sugarcookie babe~~~

i have read your blog....understand totally what you have been going thru as my case last time WAS similar to yours....baby you really need to pull yourself together.....please please....

You have some happening place to go....we talk craps there....COME COME....go there trash out your woes.....

*encouragement encouragement**

http://www.mummysg.com/forums/f15/mummysg-night-owls-club-11192/

yvonne_ktw

sugar,
Maybe when yr DD cry you try "shhh" beside her ear? but your shh cannot be too soft. I went for event it teaches us this, i'm ugsing it on my son even till now. When in hospital just born he just cry abit i shhh ad it works. Now when he stomach bloated no one can handle till i shhh again...
If u scare too loud not good. I shh and my cheek is beside his ear that means my mouth is facing outward. Sorry not very good in explaining here.

Oppsgal

sugar,
Maybe when yr DD cry you try "shhh" beside her ear? but your shh cannot be too soft. I went for event it teaches us this, i'm ugsing it on my son even till now. When in hospital just born he just cry abit i shhh ad it works. Now when he stomach bloated no one can handle till i shhh again...
If u scare too loud not good. I shh and my cheek is beside his ear that means my mouth is facing outward. Sorry not very good in explaining here.
Just shhh very loud infront of my baby, but still continue to cry.

itx habit...
wadever habit / action the caregiver's does to the baby more than 30days will become a habit.. it'x like.. euuu read bedtime stories to baby for 30days.. sudddddenly 31st day 32nd 33rd euu never read... baby will cry cry cry.....

in this mummysg.com i've heard of some mommies taught baby poo-poo since 3rd month... mastered at 9th month...

lalala... try shh / any easy gesture euu prefer .. do it regularly lo...
lalala... any method... but try not get into the habit of cuddle baby and walk around to comfort her down.....
nothing bad about this... just tiring...

yes. first month is tough...
i couldnt take it..... probably im too lazy.......HA!

bad teeth or not.. i dont really think so... my niece HATE pacifier.. gave her all sorts of brand before... (my sister-in-law loves shopping.. cant imaging the amount of pacifier she bought lo)....... never ever seen her sucking pacifier for more than 15seconds... now.. she's 7year old.. her gums bad.. teeth very ugly.... hmmmmm....

is case to case de....

im GONNA READ UR BLOG LATER!!!!!!!!RAWR! haha
PLEASE GERR, REST MORE!!