Do Children help to do household chores

Gladys

Hi,

Being a homemaker without maid do we need to ask children to do household chores.

What is everyone comment?

littlehelper

Why not?
Its good for the children to learn to do household chores as well.It will be good if they are willing to learn and do they should not need to be ASKED.
At the beginnign yes, they need to LEARN afte thatn they HELP.
It also teaches them to be indepent and it will be easier for you too.
But i believe they don't like to be forced so if they are older like primary 4 & above, beisdes house work they would like to go out with friends...

tika

definitely. but it must be a routine from young if you want your child to help willingly in the long run. My girl is 19 months only but I am consistent in telling her to keep her toys before a change of activity. Most times she will do it, but sometimes she doesn't. And when she doesn't I will keep half of it and tell her to help mommy keep the rest. It works most of the time. I think if you tell older children to help out with the housechores when they were seldom told to help out since young, it would backfire cos they will never see the need to help out no matter how many times you nag at them.

just my 2 cents worth. :)

Ting

i USED to help my mum vacuum n mop the floor. hehe.
now pin also does that, she likes to mop... for fun though..
n she likes to take the wet wipes to clean the tables n chairs n sofa.... -.-"
sometimes she "helps" to fold her own clothes..
but i always make sure she keeps her toys back after she's done with it.

jazz_sofia

i believe yes...although some mummies may not think so...im stay at home mum, no maid (but hubby helps me in hsehold chores)...now my 3y/o girl is also helping me...she tidy up her toys after she's done playing with them (but sometimes she doesnt like to do that...hahaha)...she helps me set the table at dinner time (she put the spoons and fork on the table)...she arranges the shoes and slippers on the shoe rack...she water our plants (which is by the way only 2 pots)...and 'fold' her clothes and towels... i believe it is impt that she learns some of the basic chores so it wouldnt be difficult when she grows up.

Ottermum

i'll try to get my boy help me out when he grows older...if not when he got married his wife's gonna suffer!!!!!!

like me :001_302:

autumn82

Yes, I think it is good to incorporate into their daily routine. Like clearing dishes after eating, throw rubbish, keep toys, fold clothes, put own dirty clothes into laundry bag.. blahblahblah..

I started training Iggy to do some chores already.. Wahahahah :p

CanCanMum

in fact children likes to "monkey see monkey do"

so far baber likes to Sweep the floor, mop the floor, wash the dishes and hang my laundry

but he scores only 1 outta 10 points lols~~~~

LoVeS

It gd if they r willing to help but it is nt a MUST for them if they r nt willing to do so n most importantly it depends on their age too~

jasobias

I think household chores r a must for kids..after all both kids n adults make up the household.I trained my kids fr young.They know tht doing some of the household chores they r assigned too does not mean tht they r doing me a favour.Its their responsibility too to keep house neat n tidy n i have ingrained tht in them.No way am i gonna have kids tht think doing household chores means doing mummy a favor.My kids r 5 n 7 yrs old boys.They vacuum,fold their laundry,wash their own dishes n of course they have to keep their own room clean.

meiteoh

Even if you have a maid, housechores is a MUST for kids for a lot of reasons other than helping out mum and dad.

For starters, when a child takes on housechores as part of their daily routine, it is about taking on responsibility and learning how to cope with it. On top of that, it gives them a sense of community and respect for those they live with - eg help to clean up coz mum and dad can't do everything while learning that messing things up requires someone to clean it up and what they do affects others too. It also teaches them life skills such as cooking, cleaning and so forth which will come in handy when they are living on their own and/or married.

I remember talking to many people who grew up having others do housechores for them only to suffer when they were in university. One of my mum's friend grew up having a maid (her father was a rich businessman and in the 60s, rich meant having your own driver and maid) to do everything for her but when she was sent to Australia to further her studies, she was on her own. She didn't know how to boil water, fry an egg or even iron her own clothes. I remember what she told me - she would fill the kettle and put it on the stove thinking that it would boil by itself!!!! When she got married and had kids, she made sure that they helped out with the housechores unlike in her case.

Other people like those around my age do okay on their own for the cooking, cleaning because they eat out all the time and don't dirty the place so much but after getting married, with a tight budget and another person to feed/look after, they find that it becomes necessary to learn to do things like cooking, cleaning and so forth.

As women, I do believe that one way to make sure that other women don't have to go through what we did is through educating our children, especially our sons. Respect and proper treatment towards other women also starts with the simplest of things - housechores. By allowing or giving boys leeway in housechores (like my parents whereby I had to wash and iron my bro's clothes even until after he got married!!!!), we are teaching them to discriminate against their female peers, that it's a woman's job whereas it isn't. There is nothing wrong with a man/boy who knows how to iron his own clothes, cook, clean and so forth. That's why I respect my mother-in-law a lot. She showed no preference towards my hubby and his sister - both of them HAD to help out.

Ting

i agree, both men n women shld know how to do housechores. it's not just a women's job.
my dad also helps out to clean the hse like mopping/sweeping/cooking.
he irons his own clothes. (in fact, he irons til very detailed n dun miss a spot)

autumn82

I agree w meiteoh.. That's why I started training Iggy on it! LOL. :p So next time his wife won't complain serving a "king"... Wahahahahah

Just last Sat, Iggy took a piece of tissue to wipe the floor coz he drool on it and then dumped into the rubbish bin. MIL saw and gave the :eek:, "U're a boy! Why u do all this things??"

She commented twice on this and DH couldn't take it, laughingly told his mum, "boy also need to mop and help do chores what!" Then MIL laff off.. zzz. Silly.