do u let yr baby watch tv?

cmeilim

We dont't let our baby watch any kiddie channel at home.

She seems to enjoy Channel News Asia or Youtube (animal clips or sesame st programmes).

She watches one Elmo DVD at our place which I use to distract her when I cut her hair monthly. Unfortunately, at my mother & sis place, she watches Dora DVDs very regularly. She jumps w excitement whenever she sees Dora.

Currently, my girl is able to sit thro a 10-20 page book easily. I find Okto's commercials have fast-changing images. So, we've decided no kiddie TV as much as possible in case she gets used to snappy editing & loses her interest in books.

can i ask how old is your baby gal?

we let my boy watch BabyTV becos it's more peaceful and slow-moving. we just started him on Baby Signing Time DVD. usu abt 30min watching time and usu during his meal-times. i also expose him to phonics CD, educational hands-on toys and lots of books; we go to the library every 3 weeks and cart home mroe than 10 books each time.

i think at the end of the day, it's all abt balance between the different resources.

ping26

can i ask how old is your baby gal?

we let my boy watch BabyTV becos it's more peaceful and slow-moving. we just started him on Baby Signing Time DVD. usu about 30min watching time and usu during his meal-times. i also expose him to phonics CD, educational hands-on toys and lots of books; we go to the library every 3 weeks and cart home mroe than 10 books each time.

i think at the end of the day, it's all about balance between the different resources.
She's 10.5 mth old now.

yes, different parents will teach differently.

I think slower DVDs programmes are great in that they're educational, occupy some of kids' time (giving parents a break) and do not overstimulate.

I have limited time with her. Most of time, I teach her based on her mood/interest (a form of child-led therapy), ie if she resists repeatedly, I don't force her to 'learn'. She plays in the day & reads books at night.

Domains : developmentally appropriate stuff e.g. fine motor e.g. pointing, grip, oral-motor eg chewing, textures, sucking, gross motor e.g. throwing, walking

language/cognition (Topics) : animals, fruits, food, daily activities eg. supermarket, places eg zoo, school, etc

I have just introduced the alphabet & letter assn. i don't flash cards. I show her the card, name it & make sounds. Now I'm showing her different pic of same thing eg cartoon dog, toy dog, dogs, dog sound too.

well, she's fast in certain areas & average in some areas. The most impt thing is she had fun while learning/exploring.
I control exposure of 'undesirable' behv eg watching kiddie tv programmes.

I also make sure she plays by herself for a little while as I want her to explore/discover using her senses & process as well as get used to not having constant adult 'adoration'.

cmeilim

She's 10.5 month old now.

yes, different parents will teach differently.

I think slower DVDs programmes are great in that they're educational, occupy some of kids' time (giving parents a break) and do not overstimulate.

I have limited time with her. Most of time, I teach her based on her mood/interest (a form of child-led therapy), ie if she resists repeatedly, I dont't force her to 'learn'. She plays in the day & reads books at night.

Domains : developmentally appropriate stuff e.g. fine motor e.g. pointing, grip, oral-motor eg chewing, textures, sucking, gross motor e.g. throwing, walking

language/cognition (Topics) : animals, fruits, food, daily activities eg. supermarket, places eg zoo, school, etc

I have just introduced the alphabet & letter assn. i dont't flash cards. I show her the card, name it & make sounds. Now I'm showing her different pic of same thing eg cartoon dog, toy dog, dogs, dog sound too.

well, she's fast in certain areas & average in some areas. The most impt thing is she had fun while learning/exploring.
I control exposure of 'undesirable' behv eg watching kiddie tv programmes.

I also make sure she plays by herself for a little while as I want her to explore/discover using her senses & process as well as get used to not having constant adult 'adoration'.
heehee, i think we share similar teaching methods and philosophy. i too have limited time with my boy as i am a FTWM. i try to teach my boy with actual things around the house, complemented by me making lots of associated sounds, making the sign for the objects, pointing to same pictures in books or on cards i make myself, as from as from my own sketches on a doodle screen. it's fun watching his facial expression as he deliberates, as if making the mental connection between the real thing, what i vocalise/sign, the 'artificial' picture, etc.

except for babyTV, i find the other channels, incl the so-called kiddie channels way too noisy, violent, fast and age-inappropriate, IMHO. as it is, my child, being a boy, is already very hyperactive by nature and it's not easy to get him to stay focused for too long a time. reading thru a complete book at one seating is getting increasingly challenging as he gets more mobile, but i still try to choose interesting books for him, and also try to use other props like puppets and soft toys to make the story 'come alive' for him. it's a lot of trial and error every day, to see what he enjoys and what he doesn't. i particularly enjoy quietly watching him play on his own, to learn what he's fascinated with, what and how he explores and discovers new things. =)

SH74

IMO, it's ok to watch tv. but hv 2 b those educational prog, suitable for their age group. my boy learn alot fr tv prog.

cmeilim

my boy too! when he was 2 months old and i was still on ML. he would watch when my FIL watched it during the day time.

Phoebii Cheng

Wait till they are older, they won't sit there quietly to watch soccer....my boy now very vocal, whenever the programme he don't like he will say "mummy, Noooo!":tlaugh:

Mummy to Baby V

meiteoh: I support your views!

My boy is 12 months old and I have not let him watch TV (no DVD, no TV programmes), not until he is old enough to differentiate between real and virtual world.

We learn baby sign language too, via real interaction during daily experiences. He is able to make many signs now and say many words. I think it's great for a 12-month old.

As a SAHM, I play with him overmany activities daily to develop his communication skills, motor skills and creativity. TV does nothing to help a child develop his creativity and self-exploration, which is critical in the early years.

When I do chores, I put him in a play-pen near me to play. If he gets fussy, I would chat with him, sing to him, show him the fruits/vegetables I'm cutting, etc. Yes, I have learnt to do things very fast and delegate some chores to my husband.

By the way, are those so-called 'educational' DVDs really educational or simply claimed to be? Read about the recall of Baby Einstein videos at Baby Einstein Recall and Refund for Disney DVD Videos - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com or simply Google 'Baby Einstein DVD recall' to find out more.

I am certainly letting my boy learn from real-life human interaction, toys (mainly non-electronic ones) and books, until he is much older.

raeka

My baby dont like tv. Watch elmo for 5 mins start to turn about. Should I be concern?
it's depend on the baby whether which show he/she is more interested in.
maybe can try barney sing along , HI 5 , richard rich sing along or counting .
can find " the chen liping, ai yoyo enrichment show for them ."

my baby also dun like elmo.