Do you all speak proper Eng or proper Chin to your child? Or Singlish/baby lang?

CanCanMum

Wow.. that's good :) at least there's proper foundation at home :)
but its true lorr he really cannot rem a single thing learnt during chinese lesson really wonder wads wrong

perhaps i shd sneak and peep around and see wads really wrong wif their lesson....gotta take half day leave :001_302:

Ting

pin also doesnt speak chi unless we prompt her like asking her hao bu hao? then she will say hao.
but mostly, we just forget to prompt her, cos my family is just so used in speaking english.
but i spoke to her chinese teacher n she commented that she can speak quite well during chi lessons. n her portfolio also state likewise.

but one thing good is, when we wanna say something not for pin to hear, then she will not understand. hehe :D

diymummy

Ya man... that would be the best... to monitor the class... Hehe.. Maybe it would help if you can ask other parents if they also notice it in their children? If also like that ah... Then think must tell principal liao...

elmo493

Agreed and I hate it when my hubby or mother in law baby-talk to my son. They thought it is cute, personnally, I don't like it too. I can't imagine baby-talk to him when they are a toddler.
Luckily my maid never baby talk to him. E.g if he want to eat something, he will point that to that thing and say 'eat something' and not mah mah.

i used to speak baby language to my girl eg book i say book book. bath i say bath bath lol. but then my sis and my auntie told me not to do that cos baby learn fast and they will speak like a baby next time when they are a toddler.. then my sis says she realise her friends who speak proper sentence to a baby has cleverer baby as in they speak clearly and in sentences compare to those baby who speaks baby language.. so i change..

now i speak proper sentence to her.. when its bath time i will say "jumpy, its time for your bath, lets go!' or 'jumpy lets go for your bath!' or 'jumpy, its bathing time!' . then i walk and she will follow by crawling to the bathroom while i prepare water.. hehe

lizzy.liz

It's always wise to speak a proper sentence. For very young children, use only 3 to 4- letter sentence. They cant register anything longer than that and wont grasp. As they get older use longer sentences.
My guide is : Age under 2 ( 3+1-word sentence); age 3 (use 3+ 2 = 5 to 6-word sentence; Above 5 (5 + 3-word sentence.) After that, they can handle longer sentences.
The best guide comes from reputable titles of kids' storybook. Look at the no. of words they use for the sentences in the storybook for diff ages.