Do you all speak proper Eng or proper Chin to your child? Or Singlish/baby lang?

like if you want to say "Let's take a shower"

do you say
(1) Pom Pom loh...
(2) It's shower time! Let's take a shower
(3) Chong Liang Le! Zou ba!
(4) Shower time oledi la!

just wondering... i was reading the other thread on how old our babies starts to talk and wonder if the way we talk actually affects how well they pronounce words... what are your experiences?

my ds is only 8 months. and he's only just mumbling.. like ghee... dee... grrr... that's all.

apollo

do you say
(1) Pom Pom loh...
(3) Chong Liang ! Zou !
(4) Shower time oledi !

just wondering... i was reading the other thread on how old our babies starts to talk and wonder if the way we talk actually affects how well they pronounce words... what are your experiences?

my dear son is only 8 months. and he's only just mumbling.. like ghee... dee... grrr... that's all.
for bathing, i will say pompom but when it comes to 'conversation' with him, we will try to speak proper english, as proper as possible.. haha

shespice

do you say
(1) Pom Pom loh...
(3) Chong Liang ! Zou !
(4) Shower time oledi !

my dear son is only 8 months. and he's only just mumbling.. like ghee... dee... grrr... that's all.
My gal now just babbling like mamamama, papapapa, tatatata only LOL. Usually when going for bath, I will just say.....its bath time, or its bathing time. I don't always say in proper English and sometimes even say, "we go bathe bathe!" in a happy cheery tune way hahaha.

Phoebii Cheng

Mostly I speak proper english with my son, like bathing time....I will say "bathe bathe" & my son will follow but he will say like " be be".....like trees he will say "rees"

Some words we use double like walk walk, some will say go "gai gai" and he knows he oso say "walk walk"

So fun now tht he is 19mths and knows how to speak words and tell us what he wants like "milk", "where", "there"

I guess it's what you want your son to pick up......but so far I have not intro him to mandarin though

annie

i used to speak bb language to my girl eg book i say book book. bath i say bath bath lol. but then my sis n my auntie told me not to do tat cos bb learn fast n they will speak like a bb next time when they are a toddler.. then my sis says she realise her frens who speak proper sentence to a bb has cleverer bb as in they speak clearly n in sentences compare to those bb who speaks bb language.. so i change..

now i speak proper sentence to her.. when its bath time i will say "jumpy, its time for your bath, lets go!' or 'jumpy lets go for your bath!' or 'jumpy, its bathing time!' . then i walk n she will follow by crawling to the bathroom while i prepare water.. hehe

jazz_sofia

me and hubby tried our very best to talk to our little princess in proper english...and we never baby talk to her...well, i do the 'coochi coochi coo, you're a gorgeous little baby, yes u are!' kind of baby talk...

snowbear

I think it's impt to speak proper Eng/Chinese to the baby because babies learn fast. Even though they're not speaking at the moment doesn't mean that they're not picking things up. If only people around me can understand this simple fact and stop using baby language like 'mum mum' for eat and 'gai gai' for going out when they talk to Alicia... sigh...

apollo

I think it's impt to speak proper Eng/Chinese to the baby because babies learn fast. Even though they're not speaking at the moment doesn't mean that they're not picking things up. If only people around me can understand this simple fact and stop using baby language like 'mum mum' for eat and 'gai gai' for going out when they talk to Alicia... sigh...
when it's milk time, i'll tell ds "darling, it's milk time!" while my mum will say "mum mum liaoo... ur neh neh ready liaoo.." -.-"""

snowbear

when it's milk time, i'll tell dear son "darling, it's milk time!" while my mum will say "mum mum liaoo... your neh neh ready liaoo.." -.-"""
Every time my darling calls me 'mum', my mil will say my gal wants to eat! And when I'm gonna feed alicia, my mil will say 'mum mum liaoo'. So irritating! Told her so many times that my dd doesn't learn to associate that 'mum mum' is eat so whenever she says 'mum' she's actually calling me but of coz my mil is too dense to understand that...

meiteoh

Proper English for me since I'm in charge of the English "department" in my house - my hubby speaks French to my baby. I read that while it's important to speak the language properly, you ought to keep your sentences simple and "musical" - tone and pitch is important. For example, whenever I set her down for her bath, I'll go "Okay, time for Eva's bath. Mummy is going to prepare bath, k? Eva be quiet, k?"

It's important to speak a language properly in situations where your child will be exposed to many languages. This is to help them pick up the language faster as well as correctly.

apollo

Proper English for me since I'm in charge of the English "department" in my house - my hubby speaks French to my baby. I read that while it's important to speak the language properly, you ought to keep your sentences simple and "musical" - tone and pitch is important. For example, whenever I set her down for her bath, I'll go "Okay, time for Eva's bath. Mummy is going to prepare bath, k? Eva be quiet, k?"

It's important to speak a language properly in situations where your child will be exposed to many languages. This is to help them pick up the language faster as well as correctly.
then i think i shd faster stop all the 'pompom' alrdy, change to BATHING... hehe :001_302:

stonston

We use proper English/Chinese/Malay at home with my boy. No baby language.

Different people will use different languages with him so that he is exposed to different languages. They learn through imitation. If you use Singlish with them, they'll pick up Singlish & it's hard to correct.

MomoMummy

huh? ive been talking baby language to my gerl. opps muz change.

i say pom pom liao ah den she will laugh. she say what i repeat what.
must change from tomm. scared my mil take care cos she will say cb and knn... told hubby to tell her but cannot stop as she too used to it. haizz

annie

yea yea thats wat my sis n aunt says as well.. they learn fast n will follow wats being said to them all these mths thus speaking proper english is impt... talk to them as if u r talking to adult then they can learn to speak correctly like an adult hehe

apollo

huh? ive been talking baby language to my gerl. opps must change.

i say pom pom then she will laugh. she say what i repeat what.
must change from tomm. scared my mother in law take care cos she will say cb and knn... told hubby to tell her but cannot stop as she too used to it. haizz
WOW! that's much more worse than baby langauge or singlish!!! must stop her from saying all these in front of ue baby...

autumn82

Every time my darling calls me 'mum', my mother in law will say my gal wants to eat! And when I'm gonna feed alicia, my mother in law will say 'mum mum liaoo'. So irritating! Told her so many times that my dear daughter doesn't learn to associate that 'mum mum' is eat so whenever she says 'mum' she's actually calling me but of coz my mother in law is too dense to understand that...
snow darling~~ we are in the same boat! :( My MIL is super... ~~~~~~ "U playing with MONEY (Barney)? Come watch BICKEY MOUSE (Mickey Mouse)! :embarrassed: Inital (Ignatius)~~ SHE CALLED MY SON's NAME WRONGLY!!!!!!!! AND STILL CAN KEEP ON CALLING!!!! :( Luckily Iggy ignored her. :tlaugh:

snowbear

snow darling~~ we are in the same boat! :( My mother in law is super... ~~~~~~ "you playing with MONEY (Barney)? Come watch BICKEY MOUSE (Mickey Mouse)! :embarrassed: Inital (Ignatius)~~ SHE CALLED MY SON's NAME WRONGLY!!!!!!!! AND STILL CAN KEEP ON CALLING!!!! :( Luckily Iggy ignored her. :tlaugh:
My mil has never called my darling by her name, whether it's the christian name or chinese name! 1 year+ already and all she calls her is 'ah girl'! I really dunno why she refuses to call my daughter's name. Maybe she's upset that we refused to go to the fortune teller to choose our daughter's name and just went ahead with the name we picked. sigh. But who cares... :tlaugh::tlaugh:

stonston

snow darling~~ we are in the same boat! :( My mother in law is super... ~~~~~~ "you playing with MONEY (Barney)? Come watch BICKEY MOUSE (Mickey Mouse)! :embarrassed: Inital (Ignatius)~~ SHE CALLED MY SON's NAME WRONGLY!!!!!!!! AND STILL CAN KEEP ON CALLING!!!! :( Luckily Iggy ignored her. :tlaugh:
Actually can't blame the old folks. They did not grow up speaking English, you can't expect their pronunciation to be perfect. Can discuss and ask your MIL to call by Chinese name, then your boy will be bilingual.

Actually, that's the reason why I chose a simple to pronounce English name that my parents can handle. But they still prefer calling him by Chinese name as we have an agreement that they'll speak more Chinese to him so that he won't grow up to be a 'banana'.

Ting

for me its a mixture.
but we try to speak as proper as we can.
so far so good. pin has her lehs n lahs n lorhs in her words but still not tt bad.
but her command in english is still considered very good for her age, n she has a very wide vocab alr, thus many ppl cant believe she is only 2.5yo, they thought she is alr 4 yo due to the way she talks. :)

Ting

huh? ive been talking baby language to my gerl. opps must change.

i say pom pom then she will laugh. she say what i repeat what.
must change from tomm. scared my mother in law take care cos she will say cb and knn... told hubby to tell her but cannot stop as she too used to it. haizz

oh no... i said the F word a few times in front of pin when she was much younger, like 1 yo.
n til now she still rmb.
got once she scolded the F word, n i was like screamin n smackin her telling her canot say!
then guess wat, she goes:" cannot arh, cannot scold "f" arh!"
then ytd my parents were talkin abt someting, then she told me my mum :ma ma~ canot arh~ canot scold "f" arh! later mummy beat u!!"

faints!!!! -.-"