Do you use cane?

priscilla

My boy is really afraid of the cane when we were in Singapore. But over here, no caning is allowed, so we used 321 method, take 5 and sent him to the room for time out and also remove his favourite activities like watching TV, no play time with neighbours' kids.

I think as they get older, can reason with them and do not need to use the cane so frequently.

vion

Wow....green beans n bottle caps all sound painful to me.....In fact I myself find kneeling down oredi a torture....wahhaha.....but sometimes it'll work.....

Friend

I do not use cane, I always think that if I used cane, i do not know what will i do next if they are not scared of caning.

I used the patience of reasoning with them.

I believe in setting the rules/expectation on them, as long as they meet the expectation, parents needs to be generous with their praises.

But, if they violate the rules, we shld take effort to have 1 to 1 talking with the kid. Must be consistent and persistent and patience.

I'm lucky that my kids are very close and they are 7 and 5 YOS, touch wood - I do not have to resort to cane since then.

Parenting is tough especially kids are smarter than our generation.
:twink:

sherelle65

Initially we used the cane to just threaten and they would immediately listen and do what they were told to. Then after a while they realized that they are not actually getting caned so they decided to ignore the cane and continue to misbehave so no choice had to actually cane them. That worked for a while but after a while, I guess because we don't really hit the kids too hard, they must have gotten used to the sting of the cane and so decided they didn't care if they get caned and continued to defy us. Oh and the time out corner definitely didn't work coz they knew its just a couple mins of standing so it didn't affect them. So finally one day, when they chose to not listen to me, expecting me to whoop out the cane and threaten them, I just walked up to where they were playing and took their most favorite toy, one from each of them and walked away with it and put it away. This definitely caught their attention and they behaved for the rest of the day trying so hard to get their toy back. However, the moment i give the toy back to them they are back to square 1! Sigh....kids are getting too smart these days!:eek:

elfsg

i only started to use cane recently when all sort of warning, threatening does not work, i will bring the cane and whack on her palm or foot.

YES.

after several warning & to no avail, I will use the cane!
but, u have to let ur child know why U cane him.
if not, u're just wasting ur enery.

IJmum

Initially tot i would never want to cane my kids. But in the end we bought a cane when my boy turned 1. Daddy said jokingly it's his birthday present! :tlaugh:

So far we've used it a few times... but seems like nowadays using it more often. Maybe cos he's now in the 'terrible two' stage. I don't like the feeling of caning him. But... caning works for him.

shopaholic

Yes, I use it to threaten them. When the kids get out of hand, I take it and wave it at them. Hubby doesnt like me to really "use" it to cane the kids, and plus the kids do behave after seeing the cane, so I rarely need to use it.

babysammie

erm...I have bought the cane last year when my boy was 5! He is very playful but just can't lay my hands on him! So i ask daddy be bad guy and do it! HAHA!

stonston

i tink i'm fierce enuf, when i shout, my boi is scared. :p so far i dun rmb using cane on him recently. but my hb will.
usualli i will shout at him first, esp if he go n touch the fan! then later when he stop crying n apologise, i will tell him why cannot.

:err:wah.. scary lehh.. i hope i don need 1 though. i think i will use my mum's method during my childhood. she pinch our thigh when we misbehave. it's damn painful leh.. & wenever we misbehaved & we see our mum coming to 'attack' us,we instantly stop cos scared to be pinched by her:welaugh:

two_cute_babies

Nope I did not use cane. I think is better to use my hand rather than cane, so that I know how much force is used. So far my kids are manageable.

EnFlor

Starting to cane my 2.5 yo gal. Just a slight whip on her toes or near her ankles. It was a harmless whip lah but the good thing is she'll stop her mischief immediately.

As for my older kids, now they know how to taiqi the cane. :err:So, i've stopped whipping their little toes but just hearing the sound effect from the cane, SWISSSH, could turn them pale. Both will be scurrying to the sofa or to the room and sit down quietly.

My kids are sure lucky. When i was little, my dad used to take out his belt on us when my siblings and I were very naughty. OUCH!!!!! :embarrassed:

Last edited: