EDD Nov 2012 mummies here

Mummies, do u only pump 15 min or pump till the milk flow slowed? If pump 15min n that doesn't drain the breasts, wouldn't the milk supply be affected??

Hi all

After I recover from my high fever, my left breast milk supply drops to 20ml (used to be 50ml). It's a week areadi..very sad n worried as bb like breast milk but now not enough. Anyone has heard of such case n any solution? How to recover? Lactation consultant say takes time..but I worry..heard it might not come back.

lactation consultant teach me massage then pump..but I feel that when massage, lots of milk wasted in the beginning..does all of u feel so?

Sometimes, pumping takes up an hr..how long do all of u spend pumping?

Thanks.

joasiss

Katherine57:731956 said:
Mummies, do u only pump 15 min or pump till the milk flow slowed? If pump 15min n that doesn't drain the breasts, wouldn't the milk supply be affected??
I usually pump until i get 100-120ml which is enough for a feed or til my breasts feel very soft. It usually takes 10 mins but i sometimes go up to 20 mins. I think its ok to pump longer as long as it is not all the time.

My milk supply has dropped since i started pumping less often. I am feeding my boy formula at night so dun need to produce so much. I used to freeze the extra of about 2-3 feeds worth but have since stopped because there seem no end in storing. Not sure if its the right thing to do. What do u all think?

Wow, 100-200ml in 10min is a lot! I am getting only 50ml after 20min and I cannot pump too long because nipple sore. In fact, nipple is constantly sore, I think still recovering from my previous failed latching but the pumping is not helping with the soreness. Tried hand expressing but that doesn't give a lot plus also will have some soreness around areola area. Haiz...I'm also not sure how long my pumping can persist. Now sticking to 15min, Max 20 because I want the soreness to go away but that means that in 3hrs time, my breasts will be painful because of engorgement.

Barneybaby, I also massage before pumping. Massage with warm towel before and after pumping according to my massage lady's advice. After massage, squeeze a little of the areola to see if milk is flowing out smoothly before pumping. The wastage can't be helped.

100ml - 200ml in 10min is a lot!! but Katherine, i just realised joassis meant 100-120ml, not 200ml..

i get ~80ml-110ml in 10min (5 mins, massage, 5 mins again) for both breasts. i dont dare to pump more than 10mins as it feels uncomfortable pumping and i dont want soreness to set in.

Katherine, if you are sore, how about pumping more often but less long? e.g. 8mins in 1.5 hrs instead of 20 mins every 3 hours? i dunno if it wld work, just a suggestion to try
20mins pumping is about the max... when i was reading most dont recommend pumping beyond 20mins

Wow, 100-200ml in 10min is a lot! I am getting only 50ml after 20min and I cannot pump too long because nipple sore. In fact, nipple is constantly sore, I think still recovering from my previous failed latching but the pumping is not helping with the soreness. Tried hand expressing but that doesn't give a lot plus also will have some soreness around areola area. Haiz...I'm also not sure how long my pumping can persist. Now sticking to 15min, Max 20 because I want the soreness to go away but that means that in 3hrs time, my breasts will be painful because of engorgement.

Barneybaby, I also massage before pumping. Massage with warm towel before and after pumping according to my massage lady's advice. After massage, squeeze a little of the areola to see if milk is flowing out smoothly before pumping. The wastage can't be helped.

joasiss

I think the main trick is to get let downs as many times as possible. Otherwise, all i get is about one drop of milk for every single pumping action.
I realized focusing on the sensation of the milk exiting the nipple helps to trigger more milk flow for me. When one side starts to slow down, switch over to the other side and keep swapping.

myminzz

If baby is drinking formula, can we let baby drink plain water? My mom keeps saying must give her plain water....
this is the problem I face with my mom. Keeps talking me to do the "old" ways.... very tough not to have post natal blue...

joasiss

myminzz:732552 said:
If baby is drinking formula, can we let baby drink plain water? My mom keeps saying must give her plain water....
this is the problem I face with my mom. Keeps talking me to do the "old" ways.... very tough not to have post natal blue...
I think its ok for babies to have some plain water although not necessary. The childcare book from thomson medical says we can give some water when they have hiccups. My mom and mil both say give water too. I just let him have a suck or two to keep them quiet.

I'm sticking to 20min pumping now. Harder to do more frequent pumps though because mostly occupied with baby stuff and there's always something waiting to be done around the house etc. in fact, I can hardly keep to 3hr pump now, I'm usually about 4-5hrs pump so i guess that affects the volume as well. Usually my pumping coincide with baby's feeding so it gets delayed.

Myminzz, I do Try to feed baby some water as well since he is on fm now. It's to prevent constipation because fm is more heaty.

Cindylam

Hi Mummies. My baby gal is 19 days old. Not too sure if my latching is correct but my baby seems to be able to latch on and drink well. I ever tried express milk and could express up to 110ml which is the amount she normally drank. I expressed a bottle yesterday and had freezes it but not sure when to give her as whenever she is hungry, I can let her latch on. I don't understand how some mothers can pump and store the milk. My baby drink almost every 3hrs. When my breast is ready for pumping, why pump when I can let her latch on. Right? When my confinement ends, there are a few days when I will have to leave her for my mum to look after and I not sure how to do about breastfeeding. Like I may be attending a 2 days course, how to prepare the milk in advance for her? My hubby has planned for two of us to go relax at Batam. How to prepare the milk for my baby that can last 2dayd? How? Or should I let her drink formula milk? What should I do?

teriwinkle

Hi all I m choosing whether to hire a maid , babysitter or put my bb infant care. What r all ur plans ?
Don't really trust a maid or babysitter, at least infant cares have got more eyes on your baby to prevent abusive behaviors. Am already on waiting list for the infant care near my home.

Yup I m also waiting for first skool infant care.
But they dun hav flexi plan. Cos I'm only working for at most 5 hrs per day

Last edited:

MSK

Any mummies give your baby pacifier at this age? My girl doesn't sleep v well in the afternoon, keeps waking up and gets cranky.. And she keeps looking for things to suckle even though she just finish her milk! So am thinking whether should intro pacifier to her so tat she can sleep better...

moonbeam

lactation consultant teach me massage then pump..but I feel that when massage, lots of milk wasted in the beginning..does all of u feel so?

Sometimes, pumping takes up an hr..how long do all of u spend pumping?

Thanks.
When I saw the lactation consultant, she massaged and saved my milk in a bottle so I do the same now during the massage before pumping. I either let the milk drip directly into the pump bottle or use a sterile wide neck bottle (to catch the drip better). Must make sure hands and breasts are clean of course. It is tricky to balance the bottle on my lap though while I use both hands to massage and can be messy but I just do it because I can't bear to waste my precious white gold. :)

I try not to pump more than 15 mins on each side but with the massage it takes me at least 45 mins each time. Can't seem to increase my supply to beyond 110ml. Tried to do 3-hour pump but often drag till 4 or 5 hours because busy attending to baby. :(

moonbeam

Any mummies give your baby pacifier at this age? My girl doesn't sleep v well in the afternoon, keeps waking up and gets cranky.. And she keeps looking for things to suckle even though she just finish her milk! So am thinking whether should intro pacifier to her so tat she can sleep better...
I started giving my boy the pacifier at week 3 because he cried and wouldn't settle down, turned out all he wanted was something to suckle. Has always been against using a pacifier but now I understand that babies need some sort of comfort item, be it a pacifier, thumb-sucking, bolster or blanket etc. it gives them security and helps to calm them down so why deny them? Ya, might be hard to wean them off these items but hey, that's a problem for another day. ;) I now live one day at a time. Ha.

My bb girl given pacifier during week 3 too..it quiet her down n she sometimes dont like too..so it's not confirm that they sure like it. She can hv n without it. But having it can keep her occupy for awhile if not I see that she nibble her mouth. Think my hubby read its more gd to use than the bad. Hubby was very against but after reading the gd points, he say hv to give. U can read up abt using pacifier. :)

myminzz

We gave our baby girl pacifier since day 2, cause she kept crying and my mom keeps saying that must give her pacifier. To shut her off her nagging, I gave in. It works for the baby so far.

I m thinking whether to let my boy has the pacifier or not cos he also seem to be quite unsettle n wanna suck something even right after milk. But still controllable by shifting his attention using some toys or item. He is 51 days today :)