EDD Sep 2010

Mickey88

Halo Mummies... ^^

I'm experencing wrist pain/numb/weak on both my hands... found this and like to share.

One of the more common symptoms that occurs during pregnancy is hand or wrist pain. There can also be numbness or tingling. Weakness of grip. Night pain. Or pain that originates in the wrist and travels up the arm to the elbow. What's happening is most likely a temporary case of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (CTS).
The carpal tunnel is a small canal in the hand where a big nerve (the median nerve) passes through to control part of the hand. There are also 9 tendons inside the tunnel that control hand and finger movements. This tunnel is created by the alignment of your wrist bones (the word carpal is Latin for wrist) and some soft tissue structures (primarily the flexor tendon). It is about the size of the tip of your pinkie. Women have very small carpal tunnel as compared to men, and are more prone to CTS.
When a woman is pregnant she retains more fluids to help nourish and protect the baby. Often times the cells that make up part of the carpal tunnel will swell up and put pressure on the median nerve, creating a temporary case of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, which can be very painful.
If this occurs I recommend seeing a chiropractor, massage therapist, or physical therapist that is familiar with this condition. It can be treated successfully most of the time. In addition, refrain from extensive computer use, wear a wrist splint, and ice your wrist/hands 3-4 times per day. Also consider some light Yoga stretches for CTS or exercises. With the right kind of treatment the symptoms should resolve quickly.
Thanks mecolemummy for the info. i also have similar problem but mine is more on the wrist, the joints of my fingers and thumbs ... pain and numb in the night and when i wake up .... hopefully all these will go away after i delivery...

Hi all,

I'm expecting a baby gal on 30 September, delivering in TMC. hehe this is my 3rd gal :)

Do all of your gyn ask you to count your baby's movements everyday from Wk 28? Cos my gyn, Dr Paul Tseng says to monitor from wk 32, but don't deliberately sit down to count the number of kicks... How does your gyn ask you to count? 10 kicks within an hour during the 'active period' or every hour?

nightingale

Hi all,

I'm expecting a baby gal on 30 September, delivering in Thomson Medical Center. hehe this is my 3rd gal :)

Do all of your gyn ask you to count your baby's movements everyday from Wk 28? Cos my gyn, Dr Paul Tseng says to monitor from wk 32, but dont't deliberately sit down to count the number of kicks... How does your gyn ask you to count? 10 kicks within an hour during the 'active period' or every hour?
Hi and welcome! My gynae didn't specify how but what I do is to just be conscious of baby's movements throughout the day - after a while it would be obvious when her active times are - so long as I can feel continuous movement each time she kicks (at least 10 movements), and I do this twice a day at least, usually more. She has several active periods in a day, normally after meals or a snack!

I think the main idea is to be alert to when baby is not behaving normally so that we know when we need the gynae to have a closer look. :)

lulu8173

Since I'm having twins, the kicks are all over the place! And it's hard to tell from which baby..
At least if I can feel something... it eases my mind somewhat!

happybaby

Great post, Mecolemummy.

I suffer from that too as well as leg cramps and most recently, quite sharp pelvic pains.

Any sufferers of pelvic pain out there? I had it when I was carrying my son but the pain only occurred within the last few weeks of my pregnancy.

I guess I'm older now so joints are even stiffer and more prone to injury!

Here's a good article on this.

Pelvic pain (SPD)
me too...especially in the morning after waking up from sleep...

Busybugz73

Happybaby, what did your gynae advise you? I'm scheduled for my physiotherapy tomorrow. Will let you know if there are handy tips to share.

Hi and welcome! My gynae didn't specify how but what I do is to just be conscious of baby's movements throughout the day - after a while it would be obvious when her active times are - so long as I can feel continuous movement each time she kicks (at least 10 movements), and I do this twice a day at least, usually more. She has several active periods in a day, normally after meals or a snack!

I think the main idea is to be alert to when baby is not behaving normally so that we know when we need the gynae to have a closer look. :)
Hi hi, just want to check if baby's movements are getting lesser day by day, it's better for us to let gynae know is it? I observed my baby's active times for the past few weeks but strangely these few days, my baby has less activities in the day but I always get disturbed in the middle of the night. Sometimes can wake up 3 or 4am and sit up. Help!!! I m feeling the toll now...

nightingale

Hi hi, just want to check if baby's movements are getting lesser day by day, it's better for us to let gynae know is it? I observed my baby's active times for the past few weeks but strangely these few days, my baby has less activities in the day but I always get disturbed in the middle of the night. Sometimes can wake up 3 or 4am and sit up. Help!!! I m feeling the toll now...
Hey bubbleblue,
I'm about 30 weeks and am experiencing the same - baby's activities seem to be reduced somewhat, or rather the type of movement these days is quite different from a few weeks ago. But I read that as baby grows bigger in the 3rd trimester, because of the space constraints in the uterus we are more likely to feel nudges, stretches and turns rather than free kicks. Also baby will start having longer periods of sleep, so may appear quiet for some time. My gynae said to look out for signs that are not normal - like a stretch of 12 hrs without any sign of movement. Otherwise I think baby should be doing fine. :)

Hey bubbleblue,
I'm about 30 weeks and am experiencing the same - baby's activities seem to be reduced somewhat, or rather the type of movement these days is quite different from a few weeks ago. But I read that as baby grows bigger in the 3rd trimester, because of the space constraints in the uterus we are more likely to feel nudges, stretches and turns rather than free kicks. Also baby will start having longer periods of sleep, so may appear quiet for some time. My gynae said to look out for signs that are not normal - like a stretch of 12 hours without any sign of movement. Otherwise I think baby should be doing fine. :)
Hi nightingale, you are 30 weeks? Our EDD should be around the same time!! haha. I feel nudges and turns more often in the night than afternoon. Do other mummies have problem sleeping at night or waking up in the middle of the night looking for food? I so sleepyhead everyday.... :eek:

Adelene

Hi Playful Fairy

I asked my gynae whether I need to count kicks. She says there isn't a standard number of kicks that a baby is supposed to have as each baby is different. She said that the mummy would be most familiar with baby's movements/ activity levels and the key is to look out for any changes between the activity levels.

I read that if you don't feel baby's movements, don't panic. Have a sweet drink or snack and lie down/ sit still for 15 minutes and see whether baby moves.

And of course if there's no movement for 12 hours then need to see gynae.

Hope this helps :)

Adelene

Hi Nightingale

I did my test about 2 weeks ago. I read that it's supposed to be routine to have the glucose tolerance test.

But for me, my sister had gestational diabetes for her 1st pregnancy and my dad has diabetes so I guess there's strong family history so I didn't ask her why she's sending me for the test.

Unfortunately, i didn't pass the 2nd blood test so I have to go to see the doctor and dietician. Currently I have to watch my diet and intake of sugar (no more ice creams *sniff *).

Adelene

hello MTB
I have just joined and my EDD is Sept 14.
I am with singapore general hospital and we did not find out the gender...

Question - do any of you feel hungry, like i am always hungry. i did not have this in the 2nd trimester. now i am like a monster..got to eat and eat..sigh..
Hi dl28
I am with SGH too! Which doctor are you seeing? I am so glad to find someone else at SGH...

Adelene

Hi Adelene
Have book an appt with with Babies Bellies next Fri. Will surely update after that. Am also thinking of trying out Mumbabybliss at Forum so that can compare their skill before deciding where to sign up for post-natal. But they are more expensive than Babies Bellies though.
Hi Happy baby how was the massage with Babies Bellies?

I got their brochure during the Motherhood Expo but didn't try them out cos it's quite far...nowadays feel tired so trying to cut down on too much travelling.

Instead I am checking out massage places in Siglap which is nearby for me. I tried out House of Traditional Javanese Massage y'day. $50 for 60 min prenatal massage.

Honestly, I won't be going back though. I kept telling the therapist to use less strength but she says I have a lot of wind so must use more pressure. Now my shoulders are aching/ hurting more than before going for the massage!

Plus the place is quite old, dim and dingy. I didn't really enjoy my experience. Maybe they are able to charge less because it's considered very "no frills" but I'd rather pay more to have a better experience.

After my massage I walked 2 shops down to check out Java Java Spa. I asked to see their treatment rooms and found it much better. But of course price is also more expensive. $75 for 60 min prenatal massage.

Will try Java Java Spa next...if it's ok, might decide whether to get the postnatal massage package.

Looking forward to hear how your experience at BB went :) Thanks!

Adelene

Hi Claralicious,
do you know when the sale at Baby Kingdom ends? still thinking when to go down and shop for some things from there?

Hi Mummies,
I considering between cordlife and stemcord? anybody has any ideas which is better?
Hi Mickey88

I chose Cordlife. I think it's more established and my sister uses them too. Their technology seems sound (not that I am an expert) but I believe they are one of the pioneers in this area.

We signed up during the Motherhood Expo and chose the 21 year plan. Upon reaching 21 years of age, your child can then decide whether he/she wants to continue with the cordblood storage. We think that this is a good gift to give to your child...it's kind of like insurance.

If you open a Child Development Account (CDA) after the birth of the child, you can use the money inside the pay for this. Government matches dollar for dollar the amount you deposit into the CDA (up to 6k, I think).

Hope this helps!

mecolemummy

Baby Boy
1. cheng0605 - Thomson Medical Center 02 Sept
2. Delvy - Thomson Medical Center 8 Sept
3. mickey88 - Thomson Medical Center 6th Sept
4. pinkymummy - Thomson Medical Center 26 Sept
5. lovemk87 - Thomson Medical Center 23 Sept
6. kittymeowmeow - Thomson Medical Center 29 Sept

7. bubbleblue - Mt. A 15 Sept

Baby Gal
1. Mecolemummy - Mt. A 12 Sept
2. Nightingale - Mt. A 12 Sept :p
3. happybaby - Thomson Medical Center 03 Sept
4. raine - Thomson Medical Centre 12 Sept :001_302:
5. Mrs_EG - Thomson Medical Center 18 SEP :p
6. Jaslyn - Thomson Medical Center 21 Sept :001_302:
7. Danerine - Mt. A 7 Sept :001_302:
8. Christinawong - Mt. A 24 Sept
9. Adelene - singapore general hospital 24 Sept
10. MR300909 - Kandang Kerbau Hospital 13 Sept
11. xian - Kandang Kerbau Hospital 23 Sept
12. bee - Gleneagles 28 Sept

13. MummyK - Mt. A 28 Sept

14. Claralicious - Mt. A 1 Sept

nightingale

Hi nightingale, you are 30 weeks? Our EDD should be around the same time!! haha. I feel nudges and turns more often in the night than afternoon. Do other mummies have problem sleeping at night or waking up in the middle of the night looking for food? I so sleepyhead everyday.... :eek:
That's cool~ hey you're delivering at Mt A too? We could be neighbours! :)

Speaking of nudges and turns... in the past few days, especially today, I have been feeling the top of my uterus somewhat 'hardening'. At first I thought they were just baby's movements and the pressure caused by her stretching or something - but then I started to wonder whether they are the so-called Braxton Hicks contractions? The top of my uterus 'tightens' for a few seconds and then release, sometimes this is repeated a few times (a bit more frequent and pronounced today compared to past few days). Do any of you experience this as well?

Last edited:
Baby Boy
1. cheng0605 - Thomson Medical Center 02 Sept
2. Delvy - Thomson Medical Center 8 Sept
3. mickey88 - Thomson Medical Center 6th Sept
4. pinkymummy - Thomson Medical Center 26 Sept
5. lovemk87 - Thomson Medical Center 23 Sept
6. kittymeowmeow - Thomson Medical Center 29 Sept

7. bubbleblue - Mt. A 15 Sept
8. Claralicious - Mt. A 1 Sept :D

Baby Gal
1. Mecolemummy - Mt. A 12 Sept
2. Nightingale - Mt. A 12 Sept :p
3. happybaby - Thomson Medical Center 03 Sept
4. raine - Thomson Medical Centre 12 Sept :001_302:
5. Mrs_EG - Thomson Medical Center 18 SEP :p
6. Jaslyn - Thomson Medical Center 21 Sept :001_302:
7. Danerine - Mt. A 7 Sept :001_302:
8. Christinawong - Mt. A 24 Sept
9. Adelene - singapore general hospital 24 Sept
10. MR300909 - Kandang Kerbau Hospital 13 Sept
11. xian - Kandang Kerbau Hospital 23 Sept
12. bee - Gleneagles 28 Sept

13. MummyK - Mt. A 28 Sept

happybaby

Hi Happy baby how was the massage with Babies Bellies?

I got their brochure during the Motherhood Expo but didn't try them out cos it's quite far...nowadays feel tired so trying to cut down on too much travelling.

Instead I am checking out massage places in Siglap which is nearby for me. I tried out House of Traditional Javanese Massage y'day. $50 for 60 min prenatal massage.

Honestly, I won't be going back though. I kept telling the therapist to use less strength but she says I have a lot of wind so must use more pressure. Now my shoulders are aching/ hurting more than before going for the massage!

Hi Adelene
My expereince with babies is quite ok. Find their fee is reasonable and skill is quite good, compared to my first experience with freelance..i prefer going to shop so that my house will not be oily after the session and i find that having massage at reap a better experience because of the environment...u can try babies if you r keen cos different pple will have different expectation..but personally, i find them quite professional and they are not pushy..so if i have the time, i might go back for another session :)