Everyone telling me my milk supply is low n to use formula :(

Am pumping every 2 hours as breast feel super engorged ! When I was at home I didn't feel this way, maybe baby is drinking more than what I originally thought ! Mum is even giving her pacifier as she usually does comfort sucking at my breasts .. sigh all those things I wanted to avoid ..

Doc says there might be remaining placenta in my womb, they said it's common . Just went for scan n hope to go home tmr .. If not, I have to go for op ..! The joys of motherhood ..

MumsandBubs

Then the leftover is wats causing the milk issue. Once it's out you should be producing well hooray! Just keep expressing and when home quickly put baby to boobs. Pacifier is ok to give my bub takes that but latch on fine n use bottle fine too. Just don't give bottle first when establishing supply else baby will choose that over yr breasts. Comfort sucking removes milk too so just out bb to breasts all she/he wants!

Really ? It might be ! Baby is now on bottle for 3 days already since I got admitted, I'm hoping to be able to go home tmr so I can throw that bottle away !

Haha . Thanks .. I feel a bit more motivated ! All is not lost yet I hope ..

lovepixie

Get well soon Honeyfiedcherry
You can do it! My MIL always give baby bottle vs direct latching from me. I was hoping baby do not have nipple confusion. Lately she has trouble latching. She gets more frustrated than last time she managed to do well before the bottle came into picture. Aih~

tuzii

Just do the way u are comfortable with.. As long Is breastfeeding.. I pump out to bottle feed me baby since the first day i am home . As i prefer to monitor how much he drink each feed ..

CDAH77

If this is ur first baby the milk usually comes slow n low supply. U can ask a lactation consultant for help, my milk flow only comes at day 4 n it was very little too. I'm given fenugreek n domperidone n was to drink lots n lots of fluid. u keep on pumping or if bb can suckle it will stimulate more milk flow. U may wish to supplement with milk powder too. half BM half formula. Do not give up, My baby never suckle from day 1 n I can continue give her BM till she 1 year old. u must work hard n jia you. Do the breast massage n put hot towel over. Use a cream for Ur crack nipples or squeeze a bit of Ur milk n rub on Ur nipples. B batient n think only what's best for Ur baby.

ling.er

Like what other mummies saying, dun give up. Try whatever way
most inportant is drink more water & get rest whenever you can. Pump every 2-3 hour then latch.
Drink more soup if you can up to 3 month.
before bf drink red date tea / milo

Jia you.. At first I also very low supply but I didn't give up.. Till now also low suppy but I latch as long as I can & do pump too..

MumsandBubs

Just do the way u are comfortable with.. As long Is breastfeeding.. I pump out to bottle feed me baby since the first day i am home . As i prefer to monitor how much he drink each feed ..
It's best to pump out and bottle feed after supply is established. Best to latch bb on according to bb's schedule to stimulate lots milk first.

MumsandBubs

Get well soon Honeyfiedcherry
You can do it! My MIL always give baby bottle vs direct latching from me. I was hoping baby do not have nipple confusion. Lately she has trouble latching. She gets more frustrated than last time she managed to do well before the bottle came into picture. Aih~

More worrying is bb wanting the fast flow of bottle rather than breast once used bottles. Then he will be very frustrated at breasts. Nipple confusion isn't the main problem but well every bb may be diff. My two bb can latch on and take diff teats all at same time. Currently my bb is taking 2 types if pigeon teats and 1 Aprica teat, plus my nipples...no confusion for him...just that sometimes I bf him flow is slow then give him formula in bottle flow is too fast he will frustrate..so I hold him upright and hold bottle at horizontal level so he can suck at his pace and adjust...too suddenly fast flow he blur esp when sleeping..

MumsandBubs

Placenta remaining in womb will have hormones inhibiting milk supply.

comfort sucking nit most effective to bring in lots milk BUT baby is still drinking...just at slower pace.

Hi dear, had a d&c done .. And it's actually true that remaining placenta in womb will cause low milk supply !

How much does a lactation consultation cost anyway ? Baby seems to sleep for longer periods, so difficult to wake baby up, pumping but only getting 2oz from both !
Am really frustrated .. Baby's stools smell weird as seem to be tiny yellow balls, unlike previously it was really runny .

Not wanting to give up, just bought fenugreek from an online store, I read reviews that it works ! A friend told me that maybe my body doesn't respond well to pump but have no problems w baby's suckling .

If I actually don't have any problems w milk supply, taking fenugreek will cause oversupply !

babylurve

I used to pump only 1-2 oz in my first week of giving birth till my maid helped me. Apparently, the way I position my breast over the silicon plays a BIG part. after rectifying the mistake, immediately i managed to pump close to 4 oz! so maybe u could try re-adjusting ur breast few times

MumsandBubs

It will b good to seek LC help re the pump cos maybe its the shield size vs your nipple size etc that's the problem, so good to see one if you can afford to rule out pump issues.

Great that D&G is done to get remains out. A friend had similar experience as you but by the time she had her OP her supply dropped.

Pls don't depend on pump too much too to tell you how much you may be making. Your baby is best so try wake her up to drink by removing her nappy or even strip her. Sg is so hot it's ok to do that. Stripping nappy will stir baby up.

if she really can't be woken up then no choice keep removing milk using pump but in this way you may just get those 2oz without increase cos bb is best pump. For me it's like that only bb sucking helped me increase, not pump. Every time I pump I got 20-30ml only.

A friend who demand bf her baby100% and is now 11 weeks can only pump out 20ml! But she 100% demand feed you know? So how can she have low supply if her baby has been having BM for more than 2 months?? It's just the pump route doesn't work for her. And as for me. But my biggest mistake is not latching baby on in the beginning and not demand feeding and giving bottle. That's my downfall till now I can't make enough for baby.

u try your best but don't let anyone make you guilty even if u need to give formula as well. I am bfg n giving formula. Really hate it when every relative and stranger I met asked me if I am bfg. It's none of their biz.

fenugreek didn't make any difference for me and I took it from day 1. But it may work for you.

:)

Hi all,
Milo works I guess, right now lack of rest with baby constantly crying, possibly because of bcg !

Am adjusting pump, found out the avent massage cushion doesn't work for me ..

Everytime after I pump baby would wake up to feed . Why ?! My breasts are almost empty by then, lol . But I still let baby take from breasts as sometimes after she suckles for a while, I can feel let down .

Yeah I have ppl asking if I'm bfing, I do feel like it's not their business, they don't know how tiring it is to bf exclusively . To wake up for night feeds n always there to let baby suckle, sometimes for a long time ! Im trying my best n hoping to do it for at least 6 mths .

I read fenugreek only works for some people, I hope I can keep up w the side effects mainly diarrhea and smelling a bit spicy, haha . Btw today I feel engorged again, have not felt that for days now .

andieluv2

I had low supply too. After working soo soo hard every day I will only manage to get 600-700 per day combined. But I managed to still bf my girl till 6 months. But due to work commitment, I have stop bfing as baby oso wean already.

I kind of think once they start weaning they will require nutrients that is more than wat bm only can give. Hence dun stress urself out. Set reachable targets and works towards it rather than setting ur goals too high and gotta handle the disappointment if its not met. Take 1 baby step at a time afterall the journey to bfing is never smooth. Be it u low supply or over supply. Both have their own set of problems. So take it easy yea.

saladbowl

I would say the best person to seek advice would be your doctor. I prefer proper prognosis or sound scientific advice over any old wives' beliefs or assumptions. :)

I'm hoping to bf for at least 6 mths, but these days baby seems fussy at breast . She would feed a while den pull off . She's also very gassy ! I don't keep track of what I eat, oh this bf thing is harder than I thought it would be ..

I would ask a doc prolly on my next check up, but Polyclinic docs are not very dependable ..