Fever fever~

mummymirda

Hi mummies,My 2yr old son is down with fever & diarrhea since yeasterday. Brought him to see a doctor & was given medication. I was having a hard time cos he refused to be sponged. luckily he did not refuse the fever medicine (maybe it tasted nice) but he refuses the diarrhea medicine. I tasted it. got this musky horrible taste though:nah:his fever did subside after half an hour but temperature go up again after that. i tried sponging him while he's sleeping but he will wake up & wail out loud as though i hentam him:err: somehow i didnt get to sponge him properly till now. sighhhhhh~ i notice his fever went off then come back again (39.2 degrees). is it ok by not sponging him? he is now asleep aft giving him the fever med. i put on the fever patch also he will take it off. really making my chest pain seeing him like that. :shyxxx:

Last edited:

d_mum

Hi mummies,My 2yr old son is down with fever & diarrhea since yeasterday. Brought him to see a doctor & was given medication. I was having a hard time cos he refused to be sponged. luckily he did not refuse the fever medicine (maybe it tasted nice) but he refuses the diarrhea medicine. I tasted it. got this musky horrible taste though:nah:his fever did subside after half an hour but temperature go up again after that. i tried sponging him while he's sleeping but he will wake up & wail out loud as though i hentam him:err: somehow i didnt get to sponge him properly till now. sighhhhhh~ i notice his fever went off then come back again (39.2 degrees). is it ok by not sponging him? he is now asleep after giving him the fever med. i put on the fever patch also he will take it off. really making my chest pain seeing him like that. :shyxxx:
Hi... mummymirda... u must be worried sick.. actually sponging your baby is very important as this method will helps to lower the temperature...

autumn82

Hi mummy,

Do use lukewarm water to sponge your son, areas like forehead, neck, back of ears and neck, armpits & back will do.

Iggy was also down with high fever for almost 8 days just a week back. So ya. :p I use tap water when his temp goes high like 39.3deg. Else it would be lukewarm water for about 15mins each time. I do it when he's drinking his milk so he won't move around that much. :001_302:

For such high fever, do feed medicine on time and did your doc prescribe Iburofen/Nurofen or anal suppository? It's for fever 38.5deg and above. Rem to standby.. :)

Fever is a way of your body fighting away the virus.. So don't worry too much. As long as your boy is still active. Oh ya, do keep him hydrated with Electrolyte popsicles since you mentioned he has diarrhoea too. :) :wong19:

mummymirda

thanks mummies. somehow manage to make him quietwhile sponging. yup gave milk n hv to 'scold' him a bit:001_302: temp went down a little.

LoVeS

If u haf prob sponging him then it is a MUST for u to put the gel like thingy on his forehead to reduce his fever~ Tats pretty gd whenever fever comes~

SH74

when my boy got high fever, i tried all methods, like, letting him wear light cotton sleeveless clothes n keep d place cool n airy so dat his temp can go down. he's still active n playing, so i'll alw carry a wet towel w me to sponge him when he's engrossed w his playing. i even gave him cold ribena to drink. d temp did go back but aft d med wears off, fever came back.

i oso tried d chinese method, wrapping him up like a dumpling so dat he can sweat it all out. it seems like d chinese method works faster n better.

my boy oso doesnt like to sponged esp when he's asleep. esp when he's having fever. he doesnt wan anything cold in contact w his skin.

btw, did ur doc give u a fever med meant for fever more than 39 deg? u can feed dat at nite cos d med can ctrl his fever for 6 hrs. at least u'll get some sleep at nite.

camom

The gel fever patch didn't work for my kids. I find the cooling mat easier to use.

I actually prefer sponging/warm showers to the mat & patch. Fever goes down faster with sponging. Don't wrap the child up, cos the fever might spike further. I usually dress the sick child in thinner clothes to allow the heat to dissipate faster.

For warm showers, remember to reduce draughts by closing all doors and windows. Immediately wrap and dry the child after showering.