Food Recommended for Pregnant Woman

Echo

My gynae told me that I can eat everything during the first trimester, as I don't have apetite and could possibly lose weight. But he also asked to avoid coffee or tea. I found from website that papaya is not good for pregnant women as it may cause miscarriage. Not sure if it is true.

jean85

My gynae told me that I can eat everything during the first trimester, as I dont't have apetite and could possibly lose weight. But he also asked to avoid coffee or tea. I found from website that papaya is not good for pregnant women as it may cause miscarriage. Not sure if it is true.
thanks for your reply. ya i heard coffee, tea and papaya not good. i was told to eat more fish and drink more milk.

sarahkls

I guess u can take any food moderately. Fish is good but some species u have to avoid like sharks, tilefish , king mackerel . My gf told me those deep sea fishes. All meats must be fully cooked and no raw egg. There alot info u can google it.

xiaodaisy

actually gynae would always allow us to eat anything we like as long its the moderate portion but some elders would always make us avoid some foods which are cold , like clams , lotus soup , watermelon , pineapples , green bean soup , green tea , bubble tea ..

ast0212

Just avoid foods that have a risk of listeria. Cold meats, uncooked/partially cooked meat, cured meats, raw and soft boiled eggs, soft cheeses, salad (if not homemade)...food like that. Does your dr/gynae/midwife give you info sheets on listeria and foods to avoid?

I heard unripe papaya is also quite dangerous for pregnancy.

panpan

Erm.. cannot take bubble tea, green bean soup and papaya?? I think i took them quite regularly.. =X

anyway, preggy should avoid raw food and especially 1/2 cooked items. And fishes with heavy mecury content (e.g. sharkfin)

On the side note, i had salad every now and then.. so should be okay ba.. just that i get hungry v easily. hahaha

Phoebii Cheng

I guess eat moderately...but do avoid caffeine, not only coffee or tea, if you must have, take one cup a day the most.....avoid also cokes

And elder pple say don't take too much cooling food, like watermelon, oranges etc cause flames in bb and also cold drinks....dun know is it true or not? I guess up to individual to believe

But for me eat everything in moderation..........so long as u hv craving just eat, but don't overeat cos' the weight that you gain during pregnancy will be difficult to loose them after u give birth

xiaodaisy

Erm.. cannot take bubble tea, green bean soup and papaya?? I think i took them quite regularly.. =X

anyway, preggy should avoid raw food and especially 1/2 cooked items. And fishes with heavy mecury content (e.g. sharkfin)

On the side note, i had salad every now and then.. so should be okay ba.. just that i get hungry v easily. hahaha
cos its consider cooling food but if its moderate like Phoebii , should be ok .. afterall gynae allows us to eat anything lol ..

i took them too but not so often , ur in ur last term so should be ok .. elders dont let sometimes is due to they afraid that might cause mc ..

ast0212

avoid raw foods like sashimi, half-boiled eggs. even cheese as well.
It depends what type of cheese it is. Avoid soft cheeses that may carry listeria like Brie, Camembert, Ricotta if they are not cooked or heated thoroughly. Hard cheeses like Cheddar are great sources of calcium and are very safe to eat during pregnancy. There's a list here: Eating cheese during pregnancy

I would avoid sushi altogether as you don't know how clean it is and how it is prepared..unless it's homemade then it is safe. My cousin (who is a guy) nearly died from eating a chicken teriyaki sushi because he's allergic to raw salmon and his chicken sushi was contaminated with salmon. It must have happened during preparation as they probably prepare everything on the same surface.

bleeeee

Any preggie woman here took sushi while preggie? I have cravings for sushi!!! :(((

How about fruit juices, is that ok?

And steak? Like medium or medium rare?

xiaodaisy

Any preggie woman here took sushi while preggie? I have cravings for sushi!!! :(((

How about fruit juices, is that ok?

And steak? Like medium or medium rare?
i'm taking sushi , fruit juices , steak medium rare

but if wanna be on safer side, avoid those den ..

for fruit juices some are on the 'liang' side , so avoid if ur worry

to me , everything i also eat but in moderation ..

Gyne said anything also can eat but must be in moderation. "Dangerous" food like raw fish, soft cheese, etc is quite standard info by gyne and pregnancy books alike - avoid. Chinese medicine like american ginseng and dang gui also dont eat so much.

But book say papaya is good and I was about to tuck into my papaya today when colleague said cannot eat, will run risk of MC.. Aloe vera and avocado also cannot. Now I am so confused... so what can eat and what to avoid??? :eek:11:

Already no appetite but still must eat more and nutritious food to ensure baby grows healthy... so stressed...

Rukia

Gyne said anything also can eat but must be in moderation. "Dangerous" food like raw fish, soft cheese, etc is quite standard info by gyne and pregnancy books alike - avoid. Chinese medicine like american ginseng and dang gui also dont eat so much.

But book say papaya is good and I was about to tuck into my papaya today when colleague said cannot eat, will run risk of MC.. Aloe vera and avocado also cannot. Now I am so confused... so what can eat and what to avoid??? :eek:11:

Already no appetite but still must eat more and nutritious food to ensure baby grows healthy... so stressed...
Avoid avocado? I thought avocado has lots of vitamin? Did you colleague state any reason for avoiding it? Ii love avocadomilkshake ..a pity if I have to avoid it for 9 months :(

ast0212

I haven't heard or seen anything about avocado! As for papaya it is safe if it is fully ripe. There's some research that suggests that eating unripe papaya may cause uterine contractions because of the high levels of latex in unripe papaya which causes the contractions.

ast0212

Here's a bit of info about papaya:

Is it safe to eat papaya during pregnancy

Oxytocin causes contractions but it depends on how much I guess. Activities like breastfeeding and intercourse also releases the oxytocin hormone in the body but the amount of oxytocin released is not enough to cause any harm to the baby in healthy pregnancies.

Colleague seeing TCM with purpose to try for baby, so TCM told her to avoid papaya, aloe, avocado, pineapple and hawthorn. I also think avocado is very rich in vitamin and wanted to take but now.. I guess better be safe than sorry..