Fresh Silver Fish

snowbear

Hihi, I'm thinking of preparing fresh silver fish powder for my dd but I'm not sure how to do it, especially like how many times to rinse it to get rid of the saltiness etc...

Also, what nutrients do fresh silver fish provide exactly? Is it just calcium? And is the saltiness harmful for baby?

Thanks!

annie

ive never prepared these before but as far as i know, they are rich in calcium, iron, DHA if im not wrong.

candy_ian

i bought fresh silver fish n grinded them into powder last week for my son. I think fresh silver fish not salty only dried ones. I soak them abt 5 mins n rinse twice then i pan fry them till dry without any oil n grind into powder.. Not salty at all

diymummy

Must the head be removed?? I remember reading one of the forums saying that the head must be removed?? Not sure if I am confused with another type of fish.

Thanks.

snowbear

i bought fresh silver fish n grinded them into powder last week for my son. I think fresh silver fish not salty only dried ones. I soak them about 5 mins n rinse twice then i pan fry them till dry without any oil n grind into powder.. Not salty at all
oh, not salty? Tot it'd be...

Thanks!

diymummy

ya, i think stonston mummy says must remove the head...
Thanks snowbear.

But the silver fish so small worr... Must remove until ki siao if buy a lot.

And you will be using 1 teaspoon of silver fish powder??? Or more? Or less??

Thanks thanks... I have many questions pertaining to food.

CanCanMum

????????

all of u actually removed the head??????

but its so small leiiiii

can i align them on a chopping board den one shot cut the heads off? it sounds easier~~~:p

snowbear

I haven't bought to try. Wanted to find out more about it first before trying.. most imptly i wanted to find out if it's salty... haha... coz tt day mil made ikan bilis powder for dd but so salty so i didn't dare to give her so i was thinking maybe try fresh silver fish.

The fresh silver fish i saw at the wet mkt are quite big for silver fish in my opinion... haha. i always imagined them to be very small so i think it isn't so bad to remove the head? hmmm, then again, i've not tried. Maybe will really go crazy.. hahahaha... thanks all! :)

shulyn

Mummies,

wanted to check, for silver fish, after soaking can i grind the silver fish and cook together with porridge?

jojoki

I have not't bought to try. Wanted to find out more about it first before trying.. most imptly i wanted to find out if it's salty... haha... coz that day mother in law made ikan bilis powder for dear daughter but so salty so i didn't dare to give her so i was thinking maybe try fresh silver fish.

The fresh silver fish i saw at the wet mkt are quite big for silver fish in my opinion... haha. i always imagined them to be very small so i think it isn't so bad to remove the head? hmmm, then again, i've not tried. Maybe will really go crazy.. hahahaha... thanks all! :)
hi snowbear,

i tried making this whitebait (its silver fish right?) powder fr my bb, but its quite salty leh.. the ones u made are they salty? or not at all?

jojoki

and btw the whitebait powder grind di, i kept in jar? need to fridge n can keep how long? thanks thanks!!

stonston

1. There's no need to soak the fresh silver fish. I rinse it twice in distilled water to get rid of excess salt.

2. How long you can keep the powder largely depends on how well you dried it. If you used a professional dehydrator, it can keep up to 6 months in air tight container. If you rely on the sun, I won't recommend that you keep it for more than 2 weeks as our weather is very humid recently. If you used the oven, it again depends on how well you dried it, it's hard to say.

3. You must remove the head. If you have time, rinse the insides of the silver fish as you remove the heads.

4. I normally use 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon per 1 chinese bowl of porridge I'm cooking. I don't use alot as I also use vegetable stock.

snowbear

1. There's no need to soak the fresh silver fish. I rinse it twice in distilled water to get rid of excess salt.

2. How long you can keep the powder largely depends on how well you dried it. If you used a professional dehydrator, it can keep up to 6 months in air tight container. If you rely on the sun, I won't recommend that you keep it for more than 2 weeks as our weather is very humid recently. If you used the oven, it again depends on how well you dried it, it's hard to say.

3. You must remove the head. If you have time, rinse the insides of the silver fish as you remove the heads.

4. I normally use 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon per 1 chinese bowl of porridge I'm cooking. I dont't use alot as I also use vegetable stock.
Hi, how dry is considered dry? I put them in my oven to dry till they didn't feel moist at all and some were a bit crispy but they weren't browned or burnt. Is that ok? How long can that last then?

After blending them into powder, if I keep the powder in a jar in the fridge, how long can it last? Is it a must to put it in the fridge?

Thanks!

ping26

4. I normally use 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon per 1 chinese bowl of porridge I'm cooking. I dont't use alot as I also use vegetable stock.

Is there any special reason as to why got to remove head?

I've been feeding my girl dried Hokkaido "ikan bilis" pwd. Now I'm wondering if it belongs to silver fish species. They look like baby silver fish but longer. Seller told me they're unsalted. They're drier than normal gang hee & yiky BLAND. (like eating string) I bought them at wholesaler at Rochor.

(what have I done?)

I make enough for 1 week & keep in fridge.

stonston

It up to you if you want to remove the head or not, but the head & the stomach area is full of toxins which baby's body may not be able to process as well as adults.

After knowing the contents of the head & gut, I definitely pluck off the head & wash every single fish thoroughly.