Going back to work? wat happens to bm supply?

jojoki

Hi... I have to go back to work fr 2 weeks to serve notice.. i'm currently breastfeeding my 2 mth old... i'm worried tht my bm will decrease drastically whn i go back to serve notice... as i'm in service line i may not be able to pump regularly during working hours... may i knw wat can i do to keep my milk supply or increase it? btw... i've beenbfeeding my bb but not pumping at all.... if i start pumping between feeds can i still increase the supply?? please Help!!!! many thanks!

stonston

How long are your working hours and wot's ur break time like?

For me when i went back to work, i latch my boy every morning before go work (wake up earlier to prepare) and at office i tried to pump as much as i could. once reach home i will latch my boy as much as i can. the first few weeks my boy refuse bottle, only want me, so when i reach home, he's very hungry n will suck until my breast totally deflated. hahaha.
after a while my supply stabilized and i got used to pumping at work n latching at night. total breastfeed my boy for 1yr plus :)

jus rmb to drink more fluids. if possible drink more fish soup (i realise it helps to boost supply). before u go bac to work, try to express as much as possible so tt can store up and also can increase ur supply before u go back to work :)

pinkytham

hi just to check how do u sterilise ur bottles and pump at work??
than u store themilk? or throw away?

How long are your wording hours and wot's ur break time like?

For me when i went back to work, i latch my boy every morning before go work (wake up earlier to prepare) and at office i tried to pump as much as i could. once reach home i will latch my boy as much as i can. the first few weeks my boy refuse bottle, only want me, so when i reach home, he's very hungry n will suck until my breast totally deflated. hahaha.
after a while my supply stabilized and i got used to pumping at work n latching at night. total breastfeed my boy for 1yr plus :)

jus rmb to drink more fluids. if possible drink more fish soup (i realise it helps to boost supply). before u go bac to work, try to express as much as possible so tt can store up and also can increase ur supply before u go back to work :)

stonston

my office got freezer. so i freeze the milk. but sometimes freezer full, i use my fridge-to-go to keep it chilled.

i bought an extra set of sterilizer to put at work. initally wanted to buy the microwave steriliser (medela has a bag form) but my office got space to put the sterilizer so i jus put there lor.

usualli when need to pump i'll find a quiet room, bring my laptop n pump there, hide under my breastfeeding blanket jus in case someone barges in. do work while pumping. learnt how to hold the two pumps with 1 hand n type with the other hand :p
save time!

and i invested in a dual pump (avent duo) so tt can save time on pumping :) n i personally like it cos it saved me alot of time (pump 15-20 min can le).

MsPlumpy

For me, before I leave for work, I will feed him first and while feeding, I will also express the other side of the breast, store them in the fridge.

After lunch, I will quickly express for 20mins and then store them in the office fridge. Was asked to express in the toilet but after a while I just pump at my desk. Will keep the bottles in the fridge and then bring home in the thermal bag with ice bricks.

Before that I was pumping twice in the office, so I have a spare pump which s sterilised in advance. Am using avent manual pump - quiet :)

Once I reached home, I will let him latch on again, but if he had just taken, then I will pumped both side and store in the fridge

As my DS was quite a big eater, I will wake up in the nite to express to improve the supply.

Now he is around 6 mths and he doesn't want to latch on anymore. I reduce to expressing 3 times a day :)

joanne6298

hi,

where to get the bag to keep bm? the bottle sterlized 1st can a nt?

i also gg back to wk N want to know how to store bm..

MsPlumpy

hi,

where to get the bag to keep bm? the bottle sterlized 1st can a nt?

i also gg back to wk N want to know how to store bm..
For me, I used sterilised bottle (avent storage cups), I will freeze the milk if they are not finished within the next 48 hours ...

There are many milk bags out there, ranging from $12 to $18. I have tried all the brands out there. I was introduced by a mummy here in the forum a new brand that sells a pkt for less than $9. I find it quite good. If you need, I have 3 boxes unused.

As I am giving the excess milk to my elder son, so now I have nothing left to freeze :tlaugh::tlaugh::tlaugh:

joanne6298

what brand is that? care to share?

anyway i though if ur baby drink the EBM le u cannot store the unfinish one?

MsPlumpy

what brand is that? care to share?

anyway i though if ur baby drink the EBM le u cannot store the unfinish one?
Nope, what I meant unfinished is the expressed milk that is stored in the fridge after I expressed, not the left over from the feed :)

The brand of the milkbag is BLUE EGG.

isabelandrew

for me, i express in the morning and afternoon at office. i use avent breast milk bottle. but i nvr bring sterilizer, just use hot water. if i work late, i express in the evening before going home.

my flow is better at night so i spend so long as one hour before sleeping to express and i bother to wake up at 5am to express also..

my supply not very good one so must do the hard way

joanne6298

i read frm internet that EBM when store chill cannot freeze oni can bring to room temperature..

The packet got how many milk bags?

joanne6298

oh ya.. BTW where do u all express ur milk?? anyone do in toilet?? i wk in a school so most of the time class rooms are full plus can see through..

isabelandrew

i read frm internet that EBM when store chill cannot freeze oni can bring to room temperature..

This one, you sure? From what I read and checking with the support group, can leh. What I did was to chill EBM first and then bring up to freezer. It can last about 3 months max. Somewhere I read you cannot directly freeze freshly EBM. I need to chill first becos I need to combine many expressed sessions. So to combine, the EBM must be at the same temperature - ie. cannot have one chilled and one fresh from breasts. Their temperature different and might affect the quality of storage. :)

MsPlumpy

oh ya.. BTW where do u all express ur milk?? anyone do in toilet?? i wk in a school so most of the time class rooms are full plus can see through..
For me, sometimes in the toilet when I boss is in town, if not will be at my desk (cover with a shawl)

This one, you sure? From what I read and checking with the support group, can leh. What I did was to chill EBM first and then bring up to freezer. It can last about 3 months max. Somewhere I read you cannot directly freeze freshly EBM. I need to chill first becos I need to combine many expressed sessions. So to combine, the EBM must be at the same temperature - ie. cannot have one chilled and one fresh from breasts. Their temperature different and might affect the quality of storage. :)
I agree with Isabelandrew ...

I think its 20 pieces per pack ...

jellybnzw

Can anyone help me? I will be going back to work soon but I might not be able to express out at work. But I will be able to feed bb in the morning and at night when i come back home. Will this affect my milk supply? Will bb get enuf milk for her growing demands?

isabelandrew

Can anyone help me? I will be going back to work soon but I might not be able to express out at work. But I will be able to feed bb in the morning and at night when i come back home. Will this affect my milk supply? Will bb get enuf milk for her growing demands?
Yes, it will affect your supply:nah:

If you are latching well at home (every 3 hrs at least), you will feel really engorged in the 1st few days cos your body cannot adjust yet. That was what happened on my 1st day of work which is a meeting. I can only pump in the afternoon. My god! when i reach home, my breast is hard and pain man.

your body will adjust to lower demand cos only 2 (extraction) - your am and evening. slowly will reduce.

you might wan to store up now to build ur supply now. i did that before going to work :001_302: i am glad i did. cos my supply drop when i return. i only pump at 10am, 2pm in the office. my next pump is after i reach home, eaten dinner, settle e bb.... abt 9 plus liao.... sigh... so i force myself to wake up at 5am to pump before going work.

weekend i let my bb latch to stimulate suppply and catch up to build my supply in the freezer..........

joanne6298

For me, sometimes in the toilet when I boss is in town, if not will be at my desk (cover with a shawl)

AT ur desk?? how to? using mannual pump or electric? what if got ppl walk ard? so is it u wear nursing clothes to work everyday??

Than if pump in toilet, nt dirty meh??

I agree with Isabelandrew ...

i try go find the link.. need some time..

I think its 20 pieces per pack ...
i got the supplier contact already. thanks.

stonston

For the breastmilk bags, i used playtex cos it's the cheapest n quality wise i find it good. just tt need to use clips or rubber band to tie it up :)