Group B Strep Positive (GBS +)

k-mom

anyone else tested positive for GBS (Group B Strep)?

just got my result this week. although my gynae said it's quite common (about 25% of pregnant mums get it) and they will put me on antibiotics drip during delivery (alternative to penicillin since i'm allergic) to prevent baby from getting infected, i am still a bit stressed out about it.

i did some research online and even though the chances of baby getting infected is drastically minimized by the antibiotics, the outcome of any infection seems to be quite scary.

my poor baby. i feel quite sad that as a mummy i can't protect my child and am instead exposing her to something that could potentially be dangerous :(

yakii

just got my result this week. although my gynae said it's quite common (about 25% of pregnant mums get it) and they will put me on antibiotics drip during delivery (alternative to penicillin since i'm allergic) to prevent baby from getting infected, i am still a bit stressed out about it.

i did some research online and even though the chances of baby getting infected is drastically minimized by the antibiotics, the outcome of any infection seems to be quite scary.

my poor baby. i feel quite sad that as a mummy i can't protect my child and am instead exposing her to something that could potentially be dangerous :(
\\
Yes i was tested wif this too..when i got the result i got really sad and miserable...but then my gynae was telling me there is abt 20% of mummy have that...is just that it wont harm the adult but it can be fatal to new birth when they r travelling down the virginal during birth....but he did told me tat all this can be minimise by having the antibiotics during birth...and i did spoke to a few mummy tat has tat and their baby is healthy after birth..so is the preparation during birth very important..and i will remind the gynae and remind my hubby and of cos those midwife and nurses that attending to me whether have they given me the jab b4 birth to have the prevention

sugarcookie

I had GBS and my baby is perfectly healthy.

And like what yakii said, do remind your gynae/nurses/midwife etc that you are GBS+ and require antibiotics. Also remind them that you are allergic to penicillin.

Don't be paiseh about reminding them. I reminded everyone during delivery!

k-mom

From various online sources:

Group B Strep

What you need to know to protect your baby.

By Robin Elise Weiss, LCCE, About.com

Group B Strep, also known as Beta Strep or GBS is a bacteria that can live within humans. About 25% of women are carriers of this bacteria and don't even know it. They don't have any feelings of illness and are not sick. It is not a sexually transmitted disease, so you don't have to worry about your husband or partner getting it. The risk to your baby comes at birth.

Effects on the Baby
98-99% of all babies born to infected mothers will not become infected, if treated. Of those who become infected few will have any problems with the treatment for the infection. There are two types of infections: early and late.
Early infections tend to occur usually within the first six hours after birth, and most by the seventh day of life. This infection can cause inflammation of the baby's lungs, spinal cord or brain. About 15% of these babies will die from the infection.
The other infection, late infection, occurs after the first seven days of life. Half of these late infections are not from the mother but from other sources of infection, such as contact with other carriers of GBS, including hospital personnel. Meningitis is the main risk from late infection, which has long term problems associated with the baby's nervous system. However, babies with late infections are less likely to die than those with early infections.
Risk Factors & Testing
During birth as the baby passes through the vagina it comes into contact with the bacteria, making it more likley for the baby to get Group B Strep. To prevent this from happening women who test positive or who have had a previous baby with Group B Strep will be given IV antibiotics during labor. If you were not test at the end of your pregnancy and you go into labor you will be treated if you have any of the following symptoms of a Group B Strep infection:
·Water is broken greater than 18 hours
·You run a fever of 100.4 degrees or higher
·You are in labor prior to 37 weeks

The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) guidelines are summarized as follows:
·Every woman should be tested between weeks 35-37 of gestation with a simple vaginal and rectal swab.
·If she tests positive she should be treated with antibiotics in labor.
·If a woman has tested negative within five weeks of labor, she does not need to be treated in labor, even if she develops risk factors.
·If a woman has an unknown GBS status in labor, she should only be treated if she develops risk factors.
·A woman should be treated in labor if she has ever had a previous baby born with GBS or if she has tested positive at any time during her current pregnancy.

Common Questions about GBS
How did I get it?
GBS is a naturally occurring bacterium in the body of both men and women.
Can I still breast-feed if I have GBS?
Yes you can. A colonized mother will not pass the bacteria on to her child.
Is there a vaccine?
Not yet, although they are working on it. So, someday there may be a vaccine. The Federal Government is currently funding some studies.
Would a cesarean prevent transmission to the baby?
No. There is not even a need to treat with antibiotics unless your water has broken in this case, or unless you need antibiotics for another reason. There have even been documented cases of babies born by cesarean who have developed infection through the amniotic sac, which was not ruptured until the surgery under way and birth occurred within seconds of rupture.
----
HOW CAN GBS INFECT MY BABY?

GBS can infect your baby before birth — even before your water breaks. Procedures such as cervical exams and stripping membranes or using cervical ripening gel to induce labor can all push GBS closer to your baby.3-8

GBS can cause preterm labor so that your baby is born too early.

GBS can also cause your water to break prematurely without labor starting, causing your baby to lose a significant layer of protection.

Babies are most often infected with GBS as they pass through the birth canal. Internal fetal monitors can cause GBS to enter your baby’s bloodstream through the cut in his/her scalp.1 GBS infections within the first week of life are called “early-onset”.

Babies can become infected with GBS by sources other than the mother. GBS infections after the first week of life are called “late-onset”.

Be aware that your womb and/or C-section wound can become infected by GBS.

HOW CAN I BEST PROTECT MY BABY

...during pregnancy?

Ask your doctor to do a urine culture for GBS and other bacteria in at least your first and third trimesters.9

See your doctor promptly for any symptoms of vaginal infection.10

Make sure you are tested at 35-37 weeks.

Avoid unnecessary, frequent, or forceful internal exams. Internal exams can tell how far you are dilated, but do not accurately predict when your baby will be born.5 (Vaginal ultrasounds may be available as a less invasive alternative.3)

Talk with your doctor about not stripping your membranes or using cervical ripening gel to induce labor. 4,6-8

Tell your doctor if you are allergic to penicillin. There are antibiotic alternatives.1

Plan ahead if you have short labors or live far from the hospital. The intravenous (IV) antibiotics you should receive in labor generally take 4 hours to be effective. 1

If you are having a planned C-section, ask to start IV antibiotics 4 hours before your incision. Your baby is still at risk if you have a C-section.

Talk to your doctor about whether or not to use internal fetal monitors during labor before you have had IV antibiotics for at least 4 hours. Benefits may outweigh the risks.

...when my water breaks or I start labor?

Call your doctor.
If you tested positive for GBS, immediately go to the hospital to start IV antibiotics.
If you do not have a GBS test result, and your hospital does not offer a rapid DNA-based test such as the Xpert™ GBS test, you should be offered IV antibiotics based on the following risk factors:
You have already had a baby with GBS disease.

You have had GBS in your urine during this pregnancy.

Your baby will be born before 37 weeks.

Your water has been broken 18+ hours without delivering. (Even 12+ hours increases the risk.11)

You have a fever of 100.4 °F or higher during labor

In half of GBS infections, the mother has no risk factors.12 This is why testing is so important!
...after my baby is born?

Antibiotics generally take 4 hours to be effective. If you give birth before this, the hospital may culture and observe your baby for 48 hours.

You can ask for your baby to have antibiotics while waiting for the results of the culture.

Some hospitals will give your baby a penicillin shot within 1 hour of birth to further reduce the risk of GBS infection.1,14 Ask your doctor.

Have everyone wash their hands thoroughly before handling your baby.

Breastfeeding can supply your baby with important antibodies to fight infection. 15

WHAT GBS SYMPTOMS DO BABIES SHOW?

Take your baby to the emergency room or call your baby’s doctor immediately if you notice these signs:
High-pitched cry, shrill moaning, whimpering

Marked irritability, inconsolable crying

Grunting as if constipated

Projectile vomiting

Feeds poorly or refuses to eat

Sleeping too much, not waking for feedings

High or low temperature; hands and feet may still feel cold even with a fever

Blotchy, red, or tender skin

Blue, gray, or pale skin due to lack of oxygen

Fast, slow, or difficult breathing

Body stiffening, uncontrollable jerking

Listless, floppy, or not moving an arm or leg

Tense or bulgy spot on top of head

Blank stare

CanCanMum

hi babe~~~this is very common and there is nothing to feel bad about, becoz we cannot prevent this from happening.

Please see the earlier posts about GBS Positive:

http://www.mummysg.com/forums/f34/gbs-positive-11612/

CanCanMum

" Group B streptococcus (GBS) is a type of bacterial infection that can be found in a pregnant woman’s vagina or rectum. This bacteria is normally found in the vagina and/or lower intestine of 15% to 40% of all healthy, adult women. "

will need to clear the infection prior to delivery to minimise the risks involved.

side effects are reflux/diarrhoea if baby is affected.

i was also a GBS carrier when i gave birth coz i was not able to clear the infection before i deliver.

just use that insert given by your gynae to insert for 5 days and should not be a problem
do not worry juz clear the infection as soon as you can, preferably before yr delivery will be good.

k-mom

i didnt get any insert, only antibiotics to take (2 pills twice a day for one week). and gynae said i will still need to be on antibiotic drip when i deliver. she also told me to tell them when i get admitted and she indicated my status on the front page of my admission booklet.

sigh, i really hope for the best for my darling baby.

jasobias

i didnt get any insert, only antibiotics to take (2 pills twice a day for one week). and gynae said i will still need to be on antibiotic drip when i deliver. she also told me to tell them when i get admitted and she indicated my status on the front page of my admission booklet.

hi,
i was positive for strep B too when pregnant.N i was so worried.Reading more on it made me even more paranoid!!I too was given antibiotics for 1 week n was on the antibiotic drip while in labor.Baby is 5 weeks old today n doing just fine.Dont worry abt it(easier said than done i know!)..ur baby will do just fine.Infection to baby fr mummy after following all precautions is abt 1% which is negligible my gynae had told me then.

CanCanMum

ok, its fine. I was oso on anti-botics drip thru out the 16 hours of my labour~~

hmmm...now i thought about it, is it GBS tat caused me to have early labour? Coz i was induced at 38 weeks 2 days, coz my waterbag burst :p

so whenz yr EDD??

k-mom

my edd is 28 sep but gynae said to be prepared anytime in sep. first baby, so a bit hard to predict.

shopaholic

Dont worry about it. As long as it's treated with anti-biotics, both baby and mum will be fine. I had it for my first pregnancy and baby was ok.

Hope all goes well for you too! Hv a smooth delivery. :)

sunshinyday

i was group b strep positive with my 2nd girl and was real worried. read up on it in the internet. and made sure i did my best to reduce the group b strep:

You could have her try the "garlic protocol". Have her break a fresh, hard clove from a bulb of garlic and peel off the paper-like cover then cut it in half. A whole clove will NOT work. A crushed clove releases more allicin, but is harder to insert. Sew a string through it for easy retrieval.

Have her put the damaged garlic clove into her vagina in the evening before she goes to sleep. Many women taste garlic in their mouths as soon as it is in their vagina- so it is less pleasant to treat while awake.

In the morning, the garlic may come out when she poops. If not, many women find it is easiest to take it out on the toilet. She can circle the vagina with a finger, till she finds it. It cannot enter the uterus through the cervix. It cannot get lost- but it can get pushed into the pocket between the cervix and the vaginal wall.

Most people will taste the garlic as long as it is in there. So if she can still taste it, it is probably still in there. Most women have trouble getting it out the first time.
For easy retrieval she can sew a string through the middle of the clove before she puts it in- She doesn't want to get irritated in the process of getting rid of the GBS. Tell her to be gentle as to not scratch herself with long nails. Have her repeat this for 8 nights (around week 36). Or for 2 nights on, 1 night off, for 5 times (8 nights in 15 days)
After the eight night of treatment, have her get cultured at the health care place she goes to. Before she goes to get the culture, have her wash her perineum and rectal area with soap and put on clean cotton underwear. GBS usually lives in your large intestine, and from there contaminates the vagina. A Rectal/Vaginal culture is done with a cotton swab inserted into the vagina and then into the anus.

Garlic is amazing at killing GBS. There are other ways like using oil of oregano, coconut oil, and iodine. But I haven't heard that they are as successful as garlic.

Bacterial overload can take weeks to months to rebalance, and can also
go from within balance to colonization in weeks.

The goal is prevention! Prevention is a lifestyle, not a treatment.

Garlic is an antifungal, and can reduce the number of bacteria in the
vagina (and rectum if inserted there) but is much better when taken
internally. A whole clove (slightly crushed or bruised) swallowed
daily for a period of time will reduce fungi in the intestines.
http://www.ei-resource.org/treatment-options/treatment-information/antifungal-treatment/

Garlic can have adverse effects on the gastric system and can interfere with some medications so do not take more than 4 cloves a day.

Here is from Gentle Birth on GBS remedies
http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/gbsAlt.html

Here is from Moon Dragon
MoonDragon's MDBS Birthing Guidelines: Group B Strep (GBS) Labor & Birth

If your situation clears up you do not need antibiotics at delivery. So take action and do something about it to PROTECT YOUR BABY FROM THE ANTIBIOTICS!!!
Take care.
sunshinyday

sunshinyday

Hi mummies,

Group b strep is not something you have to bear with. You can do something about it before you deliver. Take action now with one of the solutions below in this website to clear it up.

If you need help on where to get the ingredients mentioned below, feel free to sms me at 96333137 and i will help you with it. Be proactive. God helps those who help themselves!!

Group B Streptococcus | What Does the Research Really Say?
Are there alternatives to antibiotics?

Even though Group B Streptococcus is a transient infection, without an active effort to eradicate the GBS colonization, it is likely that you will still be colonized after 37 weeks. We will see better outcomes by simply focusing on reducing colonization rather than treating it after the fact.

There are many probiotic, natural remedies that focus on restoring a healthy vaginal flora balance, reducing bacterial overgrowth, and directly reducing the bacterial concentration. These treatments can begin at 32 weeks rather than waiting for a positive culture. Another option is to NOT screen for beta strep during pregnancy, but to follow a strict protocol during birthing if you have the following risk factors: 1) fever over 38 degrees Celsius, 2) pre-term birthing < 37 weeks, 3) prolonged rupture of membranes > 18 hours, 4) multiple births, and 5) previously-infected baby. In these cases antibiotics may be indicated. Those infants who are symptomatic (fever, fast breathing, poor feeding, high pitched cry) can be evaluated for sepsis and given antibiotics for 48-72 hours. Alternately, you can request a C-reactive protein test to determine the presence of an active infection before giving antibiotics to the baby.

Return to Top of Group B Streptococcus

Treatment Options

Below are a series of treatment options for you to consider:

TREATMENT OPTION #1:
If you have a heavy colonization, use Tea tree oil vaginal suppositories 3-4 times daily for that time. This can be done on a small size tampon or a cotton ball, whichever is more comfortable. Colonization is measured on a range from 1-4 with 1 being minimal and 4 being heavy colonization.

TREATMENT OPTION #2:
Take 500mg Vitamin C, Propolis 4x daily, and insert a tampon soaked in 2% Tea Tree oil solution (2%Tea Tree essential oil, 98% Olive oil). Leave the tampon in for 4 hours each day for 6 days.

TREATMENT OPTION #3:
Take 3 caps of Congaplex by Standard Brands 3 times a day for a week, then re-culture. If still positive, take 1 cap per day until the end of pregnancy.

TREATMENT OPTION #4:
At 32 weeks, begin to take a supplement of 500 mg of Vitamin C and one cup of burdock root and Echinacea root infusion. To prepare the infusion, steep one-half ounce of each of the herbs in four cups of boiling water for two hours. Strain and take the above dose, storing the rest in the refrigerator for the next day.

TREATMENT OPTION #5
Drink 3 teaspoons of Colloidal Silver, which is silver suspended in water, per day between meals. Hold the liquid in your mouth a few minutes before swallowing. Colloidal Silver can be purchased in most health food stores. It is antibiotic in nature and safe in pregnancy.

TREATMENT OPTION #6:
Use of oral antibiotics: 3 a day starting at week 37 and then one a day until birthing begins. When birthing begins, take one every 4-6 hours until the baby is born. (It seems like a lot, but it lets you avoid the cascade of interventions that IV antibiotics brings at the hospital).

TREATMENT OPTION #7:
Treat with antibiotics by intramuscular injection (IM) before the birth. This method will cover you for 30 days after the injections (4 injections total to give the full dose).

TREATMENT OPTION #8:
Take 1/3 teaspoon of echinacea and astragalus tinctures twice daily. You can get dried astragalus in the herb department of health food stores. Cook two strips into a pot of rice or soup 2-3 times per week Remove the strips when done cooking and eat the rice or soup. Astragalus is an immune system tonic used in Chinese medicine.

TREATMENT OPTION #9:
Make a garlic elixir by blending 1/2 cup of honey, 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar, and half a bulb of fresh garlic until liquified. Take 1/2 teaspoon up to twice daily. Season to taste with honey or vinegar.

PREVENTION TIPS

• Breastfeed immediately and frequently. The colostrum is the best antibiotic treatment your baby could ever get.
• Refuse vaginal exams
• DO NOT permit artificial rupture of membranes.

Sample Birth Plan Language

After you have assessed your situation and decided upon your preferred course of treatment, you must add it either in the body of your birth plan or as an addendum. Here is some sample language you may wish to include:

I (will/will not) be screened for Group B Streptococcus.

If the result is negative, the only precautions will be to closely monitor birthing for the above risk factors and monitor the baby after childbirth for possible signs of infection.

If any of the risk factors (fever over 38 degrees Celsius, pre-term birthing < 37 weeks, prolonged rupture of membranes > 18 hours) occur, mother will consent to alternative treatment options other than those listed above in the best interest of the health of the baby.

If the result is positive the treatment of choice is (list treatment option #):_______

Mother’s Signature Date Care Provider‘s Signature Date

Read more: http://www.givingbirthnaturally.com/group-b-streptococcus.html#ixzz0PioHEYGe

yakii

Hi mummies,

Group b strep is not something you have to bear with. You can do something about it before you deliver. Take action now with one of the solutions below in this website to clear it up.

If you need help on where to get the ingredients mentioned below, feel free to sms me at 96333137 and i will help you with it. Be proactive. God helps those who help themselves!!

Group B Streptococcus | What Does the Research Really Say?
Are there alternatives to antibiotics?

Even though Group B Streptococcus is a transient infection, without an active effort to eradicate the GBS colonization, it is likely that you will still be colonized after 37 weeks. We will see better outcomes by simply focusing on reducing colonization rather than treating it after the fact.

There are many probiotic, natural remedies that focus on restoring a healthy vaginal flora balance, reducing bacterial overgrowth, and directly reducing the bacterial concentration. These treatments can begin at 32 weeks rather than waiting for a positive culture. Another option is to NOT screen for beta strep during pregnancy, but to follow a strict protocol during birthing if you have the following risk factors: 1) fever over 38 degrees Celsius, 2) pre-term birthing < 37 weeks, 3) prolonged rupture of membranes > 18 hours, 4) multiple births, and 5) previously-infected baby. In these cases antibiotics may be indicated. Those infants who are symptomatic (fever, fast breathing, poor feeding, high pitched cry) can be evaluated for sepsis and given antibiotics for 48-72 hours. Alternately, you can request a C-reactive protein test to determine the presence of an active infection before giving antibiotics to the baby.

Treatment Options

Below are a series of treatment options for you to consider:

TREATMENT OPTION #1:
If you have a heavy colonization, use Tea tree oil vaginal suppositories 3-4 times daily for that time. This can be done on a small size tampon or a cotton ball, whichever is more comfortable. Colonization is measured on a range from 1-4 with 1 being minimal and 4 being heavy colonization.

TREATMENT OPTION #2:
Take 500mg Vitamin C, Propolis 4x daily, and insert a tampon soaked in 2% Tea Tree oil solution (2%Tea Tree essential oil, 98% Olive oil). Leave the tampon in for 4 hours each day for 6 days.

TREATMENT OPTION #3:
Take 3 caps of Congaplex by Standard Brands 3 times a day for a week, then re-culture. If still positive, take 1 cap per day until the end of pregnancy.

TREATMENT OPTION #4:
At 32 weeks, begin to take a supplement of 500 mg of Vitamin C and one cup of burdock root and Echinacea root infusion. To prepare the infusion, steep one-half ounce of each of the herbs in four cups of boiling water for two hours. Strain and take the above dose, storing the rest in the refrigerator for the next day.

TREATMENT OPTION #5
Drink 3 teaspoons of Colloidal Silver, which is silver suspended in water, per day between meals. Hold the liquid in your mouth a few minutes before swallowing. Colloidal Silver can be purchased in most health food stores. It is antibiotic in nature and safe in pregnancy.

TREATMENT OPTION #6:
Use of oral antibiotics: 3 a day starting at week 37 and then one a day until birthing begins. When birthing begins, take one every 4-6 hours until the baby is born. (It seems like a lot, but it lets you avoid the cascade of interventions that IV antibiotics brings at the hospital).

TREATMENT OPTION #7:
Treat with antibiotics by intramuscular injection (IM) before the birth. This method will cover you for 30 days after the injections (4 injections total to give the full dose).

TREATMENT OPTION #8:
Take 1/3 teaspoon of echinacea and astragalus tinctures twice daily. You can get dried astragalus in the herb department of health food stores. Cook two strips into a pot of rice or soup 2-3 times per week Remove the strips when done cooking and eat the rice or soup. Astragalus is an immune system tonic used in Chinese medicine.

TREATMENT OPTION #9:
Make a garlic elixir by blending 1/2 cup of honey, 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar, and half a bulb of fresh garlic until liquified. Take 1/2 teaspoon up to twice daily. Season to taste with honey or vinegar.

PREVENTION TIPS

• Breastfeed immediately and frequently. The colostrum is the best antibiotic treatment your baby could ever get.
• Refuse vaginal exams
• DO NOT permit artificial rupture of membranes.

Sample Birth Plan Language

After you have assessed your situation and decided upon your preferred course of treatment, you must add it either in the body of your birth plan or as an addendum. Here is some sample language you may wish to include:

I (will/will not) be screened for Group B Streptococcus.

If the result is negative, the only precautions will be to closely monitor birthing for the above risk factors and monitor the baby after childbirth for possible signs of infection.

If any of the risk factors (fever over 38 degrees Celsius, pre-term birthing < 37 weeks, prolonged rupture of membranes > 18 hours) occur, mother will consent to alternative treatment options other than those listed above in the best interest of the health of the baby.

If the result is positive the treatment of choice is (list treatment option #):_______

Mother’s Signature Date Care Provider‘s Signature Date

Read more: http://www.givingbirthnaturally.com/group-b-streptococcus.html#ixzz0PioHEYGe
frankly i dare not try to treat it myself, i rather go to the gyane for advice rather i duno wat will harm my baby...cos as from the above i saw the use of tea tree oil which is harmful to baby and also as far as i know we not suppose to have deep internal check when we have GBS +ve as it may irriate the waterbag and break it then infection will go straight to the baby. Then how can we use tampon during pregnancy??

k-mom

frankly i dare not try to treat it myself, i rather go to the gyane for advice rather i dont know what will harm my baby...cos as from the above i saw the use of tea tree oil which is harmful to baby and also as far as i know we not suppose to have deep internal check when we have GBS +ve as it may irriate the waterbag and break it then infection will go straight to the baby. Then how can we use tampon during pregnancy??
yups, i agree with yakii. the advice seems to contradict what you can find online.

on another note, for those mummies who were/are GBS+ and have been prescribed antibiotics, did you notice more vaginal discharge? i hope it's due to the body getting rid of the bacteria. :err:

iwan2noe

\\
Yes i was tested with this too..when i got the result i got really sad and miserable...but then my gynae was telling me there is about 20% of mummy have that...is just that it wont harm the adult but it can be fatal to new birth when they are travelling down the virginal during birth....but he did told me that all this can be minimise by having the antibiotics during birth...and i did spoke to a few mummy that has that and their baby is healthy after birth..so is the preparation during birth very important..and i will remind the gynae and remind my hubby and of cos those midwife and nurses that attending to me whether have they given me the jab before birth to have the prevention
Hi yakii,

I am also tested positive for GBS. I am so sad and worried too. But my gynae only break the results to me when I went for my subsequent check up. I did my test last mth but he only tell me I am positive this month and gave me anitbiotic. he also told me to inform the nurses and doc attending to me during delivery. i must remb to tell them and i have to remind my hubby..ghe is quite forgetful at times...
Have u given birth? How's ur bb? The antibiotic only take 1 course is enuff right?

Hi yakii,

I am also tested positive for GBS. I am so sad and worried too. But my gynae only break the results to me when I went for my subsequent check up. I did my test last month but he only tell me I am positive this month and gave me anitbiotic. he also told me to inform the nurses and doc attending to me during delivery. i must remb to tell them and i have to remind my hubby..ghe is quite forgetful at times...
Have you given birth? How's your baby? The antibiotic only take 1 course is enuff right?
Hey iwan2noe,

Understand your anxieties and worries..Once I watched a cable discovery health channel "runway mom" featuring preggy models' life and work for them while they have that big bump with them.

There was one episode where one model was tested +ive for strep B and the doc did caution it is not something to be taken lightly. However, the issue was easily resolved with medication prescribed and she had a bouncy fat baby boy at > 8 pounds! :tlaugh:

So don't worry too much for your gal k?..God bless and best of luck!

CanCanMum

Group B step is quite common in pregnant ladies (my gynae told me) and i oso got it during 38th week (my last checkup)

i was given an antibotic insert, to use for 5 days but my boy popped on the 2nd day liaOooo so i wasnt able to clear the infection as well leiii

i didnt tell any nurses or doctors about this during my admission becoz i din even noe wads tat~~

but upon discharge they gave me a letter saying i was a Group B Strep carrier and was asked to monitor any reflux/diarrhoea/persistent vomitting etc in baby after discharge. The only problem my boy had was Jaundice lorrr....

other than the usual cranky baby, Baber was fine!!!