Group B Strep Positive (GBS +)

iwan2noe

Hey iwan2noe,

Understand your anxieties and worries..Once I watched a cable discovery health channel "runway mom" featuring preggy models' life and work for them while they have that big bump with them.

There was one episode where one model was tested +ive for strep B and the doc did caution it is not something to be taken lightly. However, the issue was easily resolved with medication prescribed and she had a bouncy fat baby boy at > 8 pounds! :tlaugh:

So dont't worry too much for your gal k?..God bless and best of luck!
Thanks alot Koala bear mummy :)
thanks for ur reassuring words.. feel much relieved now.. I need to take my antibiotic soo..was given the med ytd but until now have nor taken it and was scolded by my hubby as i have forgotten to take and not BROUGHT TO WORK! i have set alarm on my hp to remind me to take in case i forget! hee

Thanks alot... u must remb to test for it ok? Coz this is not a complusory test and i didnt know until my gyane told me abt it... Prevention is better than cure.. if u r tested and tested negative then v safe, but if not, then have to take care and take antibiotic like me :)

iwan2noe

Group B step is quite common in pregnant ladies (my gynae told me) and i also got it during 38th week (my last checkup)

i was given an antibotic insert, to use for 5 days but my boy popped on the 2nd day liaOooo so i wasnt able to clear the infection as well leiii

i didnt tell any nurses or doctors about this during my admission becoz i did not even know wads that~~

but upon discharge they gave me a letter saying i was a Group B Strep carrier and was asked to monitor any reflux/diarrhoea/persistent vomitting etc in baby after discharge. The only problem my boy had was Jaundice lorrr....

other than the usual cranky baby, Baber was fine!!!
Hi CanCanMum,
Thanks alot for ur reassuring words also... I just pray for the best and cross my fingers :) I must must must remb to tell the doc and nurses when I am admitted, although I saw the admission letter my gynae has indicated... :)

Hope my bb is ok... will update again after she is born.. if i still remb :):Dancing_tongue:

CanCanMum

Hi CanCanMum,
Thanks alot for your reassuring words also... I just pray for the best and cross my fingers :) I must must must remb to tell the doc and nurses when I am admitted, although I saw the admission letter my gynae has indicated... :)

Hope my baby is ok... will update again after she is born.. if i still remb :):Dancing_tongue:
no worries babe~~another few weeks more, excited bo?:001_302:

iwan2noe

no worries babe~~another few weeks more, excited bo?:001_302:
Yes, very excited... Mixed feelings.. anxiously excited, scared and so looking forward to my own little baby called my daughter...

hehe, think 1st time mother are like that ! hor ? =P
hee

CanCanMum

Yes, very excited... Mixed feelings.. anxiously excited, scared and so looking forward to my own little baby called my daughter...

hehe, think 1st time mother are like that ! ? =P
hee
hahah~~~yea i would think so

at the same time i was busy imagining how he would look like lols

i even ask my friend dunno he will look cute or not so cute lols~~~~she scolded me crazy hahah~~~~

iwan2noe

hahah~~~yea i would think so

at the same time i was busy imagining how he would look like lols

i even ask my friend dont know he will look cute or not so cute lols~~~~she scolded me crazy hahah~~~~
haha, u are so funny la.. though i am like u also funny will imagine this and that.. haha =P

i just hope she will be a happy and healthy baby ! =)

Glad that ur son turn out healthy and cute!:001_302::Dancing_wub::shyxxx:

Mummy to Baby V

I was tested positive for GBS and yeast infection, both common among females. Administered a one-time vaginal pill to clear the yeast infection and took antibiotics via drip about twice during delivery. Healthy, large boy born naturally and he is now a 10kg 9.5-month old boy.

Relax, so that you can have a smooth delivery and happy baby! :)
Just make sure you are given antibiotic during delivery and watch baby for any signs of infection.
In case water bag bursts before contractions, go STRAIGHT to the hospital and tell the nurse you have GBS.
My gynae gave me a note with HIGHLIGHTED instructions about my GBS and the amt of antibiotics to administer. I photocopied the note and made sure EVERY nurse attending to me knew that I must be given antibiotics.

Good luck! :)

Cheers,
Mummy to Baby V
Win a Modern Cloth Diaper by joining the Giveaway at my blog, Mummy's Reviews

iwan2noe

I was tested positive for GBS and yeast infection, both common among females. Administered a one-time vaginal pill to clear the yeast infection and took antibiotics via drip about twice during delivery. Healthy, large boy born naturally and he is now a 10kg 9.5-month old boy.

Relax, so that you can have a smooth delivery and happy baby! :)
Just make sure you are given antibiotic during delivery and watch baby for any signs of infection.
In case water bag bursts before contractions, go STRAIGHT to the hospital and tell the nurse you have GBS.
My gynae gave me a note with HIGHLIGHTED instructions about my GBS and the amt of antibiotics to administer. I photocopied the note and made sure EVERY nurse attending to me knew that I must be given antibiotics.

Good luck! :)

Cheers,
Mummy to Baby very
Win a Modern Cloth Diaper by joining the Giveaway at my blog, Mummy's Reviews
Hi Mummy to Baby very,

I was given clamovid 625 to be taken over a course of 2 wks. It comes in a box of 15 tabs of pills. Such big tab of pill ! luckily it is coated with some coating else if i cant swallow it u can imagine how awful it can be .. (YUCKS!)

Hmm,I know this antibiotic contains penicillin and when i read the instruction indications booklet in the box, it stated that it cant be used by pregnant ladies in their 1st trimester, but then though I am in my 3rd trimester is it safe for use(my gynae claim that it is!) ?*wondering*

if i know there is this one-time vaginal pill to clear the yeast infection, i would not take the pills. I hate taking pills and would avoid it at all cost , not bcoz I am afraid of taking pils but rather I dun want any medicine to be taken in by my bb as much as possible...

Btw, who is ur gynae. I am thinking of changing one if I have my 2nd one :)
the med he prescribe like not v good in the sense does not care alot for his patient. U can have this one-time vaginal pill to clear the yeast infection why must i take the anitbiotic pills?

Still quite upset. No choice to haev GBS cos it is in my body all along and many woman which we wont know until we are being tested....

anyone also took the antibiotics pills(clamovid 625) which I mention in my post here and bb is fine when delivered?

iwan2noe

Hi Mummy to Baby very,

I was given clamovid 625 to be taken over a course of 2 wks. It comes in a box of 15 tabs of pills. Such big tab of pill ! luckily it is coated with some coating else if i cant swallow it you can imagine how awful it can be .. (YUCKS!)

Hmm,I know this antibiotic contains penicillin and when i read the instruction indications booklet in the box, it stated that it cant be used by pregnant ladies in their 1st trimester, but then though I am in my 3rd trimester is it safe for use(my gynae claim that it is!) ?*wondering*

if i know there is this one-time vaginal pill to clear the yeast infection, i would not take the pills. I hate taking pills and would avoid it at all cost , not bcoz I am afraid of taking pils but rather I dont want any medicine to be taken in by my baby as much as possible...

Btw, who is your gynae. I am thinking of changing one if I have my 2nd one :)
the med he prescribe like not very good in the sense does not care alot for his patient. you can have this one-time vaginal pill to clear the yeast infection why must i take the anitbiotic pills?

Still quite upset. No choice to haev GBS cos it is in my body all along and many woman which we wont know until we are being tested....

anyone also took the antibiotics pills(clamovid 625) which I mention in my post here and baby is fine when delivered?
hi hi,

is there any opinion and info on this by anyone?
Hopet o hear from u soon! :)

linalee

Hihi ladies, am happy to find out Strep B being so common in mummies... Juz tat e bad thing was that... i only found out i'm positive after my bb was infected on e day she's born... went thru a very rough patch during tat period cos bb was in icu for 1wk n thereafter continuing antibiotics for another 14days...

Was really angry when we gota noe bb was infected with Strep B as our gynae did not advise me to do e test... N e most angry thing is that when we went for my 1st post natal checkup, he asked howz baby (where bb was still in KKH) and he sae my bb's lungs are not developed in e womb which e actual fact was Strep B n the doc at KK's icu told us he had INFORMED MY GYNAE n asked him to rec in my gynae's rec... which means to sae he's aware i had strep b lor... i'm really so pissed with his doings n he seems to tink we are STUPID...

iwan2noe

Hihi ladies, am happy to find out Strep B being so common in mummies... just that e bad thing was that... i only found out i'm positive after my baby was infected on e day she's born... went thru a very rough patch during that period cos baby was in icu for 1wk n thereafter continuing antibiotics for another 14days...

Was really angry when we gota know baby was infected with Strep B as our gynae did not advise me to do e test... N e most angry thing is that when we went for my 1st post natal checkup, he asked howz baby (where baby was still in Kandang Kerbau Hospital) and he sae my baby's lungs are not developed in e womb which e actual fact was Strep B n the doc at KK's icu told us he had INFORMED MY GYNAE n asked him to rec in my gynae's rec... which means to sae he's aware i had strep b ... i'm really so pissed with his doings n he seems to tink we are STUPID...
I think ur Gynae shd ask u to take the strep b test, though it is not a compulsory test. I was asked by my Gynae n he too tell me tt he asked me as it is a cautionary measurein case I m really positive. I m glad I did as I m strep b positive n after my gal was born, she is required to take the antiobiotic for 3 days after she was being discharged together with me...

This strep b test is best advised to take as if undetected it might cause complications n even death of the bb during delivery.

Mummy to be's pls ask urdoc for this test when u f in ur early 3rd trimester.

Hope this helps!;)

Last edited:
hi all,

I'm also gbs +. just finished my course of antibiotics. Was given a note from my gynae to bring along when I'm in labour so that they can administer the antibiotics via drip. Didn't have it with my 1st child but have it for this one. Just a question for mummies who tested + for gbs and gave birth with the antibiotics administered during delivery - did your baby get to go home the same day as you did? How many days did the baby have to stay in the hospital?

CanCanMum

hi all,

I'm also gbs +. just finished my course of antibiotics. Was given a note from my gynae to bring along when I'm in labour so that they can administer the antibiotics via drip. Didn't have it with my 1st child but have it for this one. Just a question for mummies who tested + for gbs and gave birth with the antibiotics administered during delivery - did your baby get to go home the same day as you did? How many days did the baby have to stay in the hospital?
Baber went home together wif me on the 2nd day morning after i delivered, only thing is need to monitor his jaundice.

iwan2noe

hi all,

Hihi,

I'm gbs+ n my gal went home with me straight after i got discharged:)
she is required by the doc to feed her antibiotics for 3 days str..

summertime

Hi mummies

I just got my test that im affected by Group G strep. I have not yet talk to my gyn but im already on the antibotics. The thing is anyone know what is the different between Group G and group B? I tried to seach online but not much information.

Mummy to Baby V

Just some updates on GBS: Expecting baby #2 now and at 13 weeks, urine test shows GBS bacteria.
Taking antibiotics called Augmentin for 7 days.

As for first baby, he was discharged with me after 2 nights and didn't have to take any antibiotics.
Guess the antibiotics taken during delivery was sufficient.

otterised

I was tested positive too, my gynae at TMC was the one who initiated the test and she had me on a round of antibiotics, called amoxicillin, she also informed me i will be on antibiotics drip during labour. Praying baby will be ok...

otterised

It's juz another communicable disease like GBS, juz that GBS affects the reproductive tract more, GGS more on skin, throat, intestinal tracts etc... found an article here hope it helps... :)

rh1212

I was tested positive too, my gynae at Thomson Medical Center was the one who initiated the test and she had me on a round of antibiotics, called amoxicillin, she also informed me i will be on antibiotics drip during labour. Praying baby will be ok...
Hi there, i'm currently 30 weeks pregnant. May I know how is the test being done? Is it thru vagina swab? or urine culture? Thank you.