Help!Can i give my baby eat rice cereal when he is 4 mths old?

iynix

Hi...as above...my mother in-law and parent asked mi to feed my baby rice cereal when he is 4mths old...Is it ok?Where do i buy those rice cereal that is suitable for him?Which brand is better?Can i give him eat those Heinz pureed that are sold at supermarket?As i am a 1st time mum and as well i am quite young and is taking care of the baby myself but doesn't know wat to do...help....

annie

is there any reason y u need to give your bb solid at 4mths old? if no reason, only cos your whoever told u so then dun give. bb's digestion is not fully develope till after 6mths n before 6mths they tend to get allergy easier. of cos unless they show signs of readiness for solid. best to ask your pd.

stonston

If you want to follow strictly by SG's guidelines, they'll tell you to wait till 6mths before introducing solids.

I introduced solids to my son at 4mths because he showed many signs of readiness and was starting to take lesser milk. I started off with plain rice cereals (home made) with was very diluted and he was ok with it. gradually moved on to thicker consistency and other vegetables and fruits.

By the time he was 6mths, i had already introduced him to more than 20 types of vegetables and compared to peers his age (as in born within the same week), he was less fussy with food and loved eating.

It's best to read up more on feeding solids before you start so you have a better idea of what to do and what to feed :)

A good book i'll recommend is Super Baby Food Super Baby Food. It's selling at local bookstores for $39.90. If you want it cheaper, can PM me (brand new copies and it's the latest version).

snowbear

Hi...as above...my mother in-law and parent asked mi to feed my baby rice cereal when he is 4mths old...Is it ok?Where do i buy those rice cereal that is suitable for him?Which brand is better?Can i give him eat those Heinz pureed that are sold at supermarket?As i am a 1st time mum and as well i am quite young and is taking care of the baby myself but doesn't know what to do...help....
Yes, you can start rice cereal at 4 months old. You can simply buy cereals at supermarkets that state specifically that it's suitable for babies from 4 months. However, it's best that you observe your baby for signs of readiness (you can read Is Baby Ready for Solid Food? Signs of being ready for solid foods at wholesomebabyfood.com for more info) and chk with your PD.

Actually the purees (stage 1 and 2) sold at supermarkets are really easy to make so i personally dun think it's worth it to spend money to buy those. :)

snowbear

By the time he was 6mths, i had already introduced him to more than 20 types of vegetables and compared to peers his age (as in born within the same week), he was less fussy with food and loved eating.
Care to share what you fed your ds? :)

iynix

There not much reason why i wan give him rice cereal..whenever we are eatin,he will look at us and move his mouth and drool tat y my mil and mum ask mi to gave him those rice cereal...i have already give him 210ml of milk but he seem not quite enough...He will continue to suck even though i have taken out the bottle...For homemade cereal how do i make it?or do i go to those herbal store and buy from there?

snowbear

There not much reason why i want give him rice cereal..whenever we are eatin,he will look at us and move his mouth and drool that why my mother in law and mum ask mi to gave him those rice cereal...i have already give him 210ml of milk but he seem not quite enough...He will continue to suck even though i have taken out the bottle...For homemade cereal how do i make it?or do i go to those herbal store and buy from there?
Chk this website out regarding making homemade cereals:
Baby Cereal Recipes - Homemade Recipes for Baby Cereal Rice, Oatmeal Baby Cereal Recipes. Lots of information there! :)

stonston

avocado, pumpkin (butternut), spinach, carrots, asparagus, corn, potato, sweet potato, turnip, celery, caixin, chinese cabbage, sweet onion, broccoli, eggplant, tomato, green peas, sweet peas, radish, etc.

i dun hv the list w me now cos i'm in office and my book is at home. but we also gave fruits: peach, apples, pear, mango, durian, banana, apricot, etc.

snowbear

avocado, pumpkin (butternut), spinach, carrots, asparagus, corn, potato, sweet potato, turnip, celery, caixin, chinese cabbage, sweet onion, broccoli, eggplant, tomato, green peas, sweet peas, radish, etc.

i dont have the list w me now cos i'm in office and my book is at home. but we also gave fruits: peach, apples, pear, mango, durian, banana, apricot, etc.
Ok, i've given most of these things too! :)

Anyway what's sweet onion? Chinese cabbage is wongbok? You gave fresh apricots?

stonston

Snowbear, those foods were introduced to my son before he turned 6mths old :) after he turned 6mths old we introduced many other fruits and vege to him and he is not fussy about his food (though he prefers meat/fish to veges but loves fruits).

Sweet onion i normally get from Tanglin Mall's Brown Rice Paradise (organic food store), i tink u can get it from the cold storage at tanglin mall also. it's good cos can help build immunity.
i dunno wot's e chinese name for chinese cabbage but it's sweet when u cook it, not the normal cabbage.
apricots i'll give fresh if it's in season. usually when it's in season i will buy more and dry it myself so can keep as snack for him :)

snowbear

Snowbear, those foods were introduced to my son before he turned 6mths old :) after he turned 6mths old we introduced many other fruits and vege to him and he is not fussy about his food (though he prefers meat/fish to veges but loves fruits).
ooh, then u must gimme the full list then when u get home! :)

Sweet onion i normally get from Tanglin Mall's Brown Rice Paradise (organic food store), i tink you can get it from the cold storage at tanglin mall also. it's good cos can help build immunity.
How do i cook it for her?

i dont know what's e chinese name for chinese cabbage but it's sweet when you cook it, not the normal cabbage.
apricots i'll give fresh if it's in season. usually when it's in season i will buy more and dry it myself so can keep as snack for him :)
I heard that the chinese cabbage is 'liang'. So is it ok to feed bb?
How to dry the apricots?

Priya Diva

i dont have the list w me now cos i'm in office and my book is at home. but we also gave fruits: peach, apples, pear, mango, durian, banana, apricot, etc.

Hi Stonston

My gal is 5 3/4 mths. I have intro cereals, some vege and fruits to her [ All in pureed form]
When can we give her corn? Is it in pureed form? What about other veges that you have intro to your boy? Is it also in pureed form?

stonston

snowbear, i dun reallo care abt 'chinese beliefs' on foods cos i personally find tt not much basis :) i'm 'ang moh educated' as my parents would say but even my parents also dun believe :) i'm not givin him the chinese cabbage everyday so it's ok :)

Priya Diva, does your family hv history of allergies (can be any type, not limited to food). If yes, hold on the corn for a while. I introduced baby corn to my son when he was ard 5mths 3weeks. dared to try cos my family got no history of allergies and we did follow the 4 day rule when introducing new food. and in my nutrition books, corn is not one of the high allergen foods for kiddos :)
everything we introduced to him before 6mth was pureed. subsequently some were mashed, some were chopped finely (like leafy vege).

snowbear

snowbear, i dont reallo care about 'chinese beliefs' on foods cos i personally find that not much basis :) i'm 'ang moh educated' as my parents would say but even my parents also dont believe :) i'm not givin him the chinese cabbage everyday so it's ok :)
my whole family all "ang moh educated" but still hold on to some of these beliefs... :tlaugh::tlaugh:

Priya Diva

snowbear, i dont reallo care about 'chinese beliefs' on foods cos i personally find that not much basis :) i'm 'ang moh educated' as my parents would say but even my parents also dont believe :) i'm not givin him the chinese cabbage everyday so it's ok :)

Priya Diva, does your family have history of allergies (can be any type, not limited to food). If yes, hold on the corn for a while. I introduced baby corn to my son when he was around 5mths 3weeks. dared to try cos my family got no history of allergies and we did follow the 4 day rule when introducing new food. and in my nutrition books, corn is not one of the high allergen foods for kiddos :)
everything we introduced to him before 6mth was pureed. subsequently some were mashed, some were chopped finely (like leafy vege).
Nope my family has no allergy... But last week when i gave my DD banana, she developed phelgm. She had a jab about 2 days before that & did develop a slight fever. So i stopped giving her banana.

Other than that she is ok with other foods like carrots, apples, pea, pumpkin.
You had recommended this book on super baby food. Where can we get them?

raeka

I start off rice cereal <frisco> when my boy is 4month old. Try feeding him once per week.. slowly slowly he know how to swallow then increase the feeding to daily.
Now he start to eat porridge .

autumn82

Hi...as above...my mother in-law and parent asked mi to feed my baby rice cereal when he is 4mths old...Is it ok?Where do i buy those rice cereal that is suitable for him?Which brand is better?Can i give him eat those Heinz pureed that are sold at supermarket?As i am a 1st time mum and as well i am quite young and is taking care of the baby myself but doesn't know what to do...help....
U can try heinz rice cereal from 4mths old. I like it coz it's pretty bland in taste and when baby takes it well, u can add pureed vegs to it too. :) For myself, I prefer bland food for babies then slowly slightly stronger flavoured ones.. Oh ya, my pd did mentioned can start rice cereal from 4mths old onwards. :)

jellybnzw

Ya..I also started my bb gal on the rabbit brand brown rice cereal..I think she prefers it to milk..if I don't add it into her milk..she like dun want to drink at all.haizzzz