Help!Can i give my baby eat rice cereal when he is 4 mths old?

Priya Diva

Yes i am Stonston

The book is very detailed. They also cover the different categories of food very well and when to give baby what kind of food... very useful.

stonston

Priya, glad u like the book. It's really very detailed and gives intro to basic nutrition so even mummies who nvr study nutrition can learn alot from this book. Tt's why i highly recommend it.

And the info is short and sweet and straight to the point. Not long and nagging and boring :) Only problem is not much pictures but with so much info packed in 1 book, it's worth the price isn't it?

snowbear

Priya, glad you like the book. It's really very detailed and gives intro to basic nutrition so even mummies who never study nutrition can learn alot from this book. that's why i highly recommend it.

And the info is short and sweet and straight to the point. Not long and nagging and boring :) Only problem is not much pictures but with so much info packed in 1 book, it's worth the price isn't it?
I spent a long time at Borders reading it... just couldn't put it down!!!!:tlaugh::tlaugh:Yup, the only problem is not many pictures, but i think it's definitely worth the price! :)

Have been very excited about getting it from you for the whole week... can't wait to try out the recipes for my little small eater...:Dancing_tongue::Dancing_tongue:

If you want to follow strictly by SG's guidelines, they'll tell you to wait till 6mths before introducing solids.

I introduced solids to my son at 4mths because he showed many signs of readiness and was starting to take lesser milk. I started off with plain rice cereals (home made) with was very diluted and he was ok with it. gradually moved on to thicker consistency and other vegetables and fruits.

By the time he was 6mths, i had already introduced him to more than 20 types of vegetables and compared to peers his age (as in born within the same week), he was less fussy with food and loved eating.

It's best to read up more on feeding solids before you start so you have a better idea of what to do and what to feed :)

A good book i'll recommend is Super Baby Food Super Baby Food. It's selling at local bookstores for $39.90. If you want it cheaper, can PM me (brand new copies and it's the latest version).
Hi stonston, u hv the super baby food book, can PM me the pricing of yr copies, would lik to get a copy. thks

snowbear

stonson, does the book contain recipies?thxs
It has loads of recipes (but no pictures)! And the best thing is that you can use it till your child is a toddler, not like other recipe books which only contain a few recipes and only for a small age range.

norfen

hello mummies,

My dear daughter just turned 4 mths 1 week this week.. and Ive been doing a bit of research on semi-solids.. I've compared the feedbacks from a US based forum with feedbacks from mummies from Mummysg (s'pore).. seems like the Mummies from Mummysg, most of them are strongly-opinionated against giving rice cereals to babies before the age of 6 mths. Whereas, the mummies from the US based forum on the whole, start giving semi-solids around 4 mths and above..

Quite confused here.. but my dear daughter has been showing signs that she's ready for semi-solids.. can hold her head steadily unassisted etc..
and from one of the mummies here, her pediatrician gave her the green sign to give semi-solids to her 4 month old baby.
Just want to know how do you prepare the rice cereal with FM to give your babies.. Thanks!

snowbear

hello mummies,

My dear daughter just turned 4 mths 1 week this week.. and Ive been doing a bit of research on semi-solids.. I've compared the feedbacks from a US based forum with feedbacks from mummies from Mummysg (s'pore).. seems like the Mummies from Mummysg, most of them are strongly-opinionated against giving rice cereals to babies before the age of 6 mths. Whereas, the mummies from the US based forum on the whole, start giving semi-solids around 4 mths and above..

Quite confused here.. but my dear daughter has been showing signs that she's ready for semi-solids.. can hold her head steadily unassisted etc..
and from one of the mummies here, her pediatrician gave her the green sign to give semi-solids to her 4 month old baby.
Just want to know how do you prepare the rice cereal with FM to give your babies.. Thanks!
It's ok to start at 4 months but do check with your pd first. How to prepare the cereal has gotta do with which brand you buy. Some cereals come with formula milk added in it already so just add water.

Frenchkitty

Im also quite inclined to start solids on my soon-to-be 4mths old baby.
Not because of anything, but because he hasnt been drinking much milk.. From 1mth old til now his intake is still the same. Recently he hasnt been motivated to drink milk also.

quite confused should I jus let him be or start at 4mths.

snowbear

Im also quite inclined to start solids on my soon-to-be 4mths old baby.
Not because of anything, but because he hasnt been drinking much milk.. From 1mth old til now his intake is still the same. Recently he hasnt been motivated to drink milk also.

quite confused should I just let him be or start at 4mths.
Has Adam been putting on weight? If he is, then there's no need to be worried even though it seems that the milk intake hasn't increased much. :)

Frenchkitty

hi Alicia-mummy, thanks for yr reply :)
Yes Adam has been putting on weight despite his constant milk intake amount. Guess i'll hold out till he is 5mth-6mths old. But quite eager nonetheless, very exciting!

snowbear

hi Alicia-mummy, thanks for your reply :)
Yes Adam has been putting on weight despite his constant milk intake amount. Guess i'll hold out till he is 5mth-6mths old. But quite eager nonetheless, very exciting!
Yup, i noe it's exciting.. I was kinda excited last time too and I spent loads of time reading up on feeding before i started feeding her. Perhaps you can chk out my blog on feeding alicia if you like... Anyway, I hope that Adam won't be as picky as alicia when it comes to eating! :)

Beanie

Hi stonston,

Im keen in the book as well. Do you have any pic can PM me? as well as the price...

Thanks

Frenchkitty

Whn my son was 4.5mths old, I tried giving him abit of Healthy Times brown rice cerasl (1 tablespoon 1x a day) just to try only... beos tat time his milk intake was getting lesser.
If he didnt like it I would stop and try again when he is older. But seems that he turned out to like it very much. He could finish whole bowl n all his milk.

But after tat try, everyday until now he just turned 5mths I m still giving him 1 tasblesppon 1x a day cos I wana wasit till he is 6mths old before experimenting with more / diff foods.

My friend commented its very little and she started at 4mths old for her girl, she ate almost everything from Cheerios to porridge, puree etc.

Honestly, there are too many conflicting thoughts and opinions on whats the BEST age to start weaning and Im getting so confused myself

apollo

Whn my son was 4.5mths old, I tried giving him abit of Healthy Times brown rice cerasl (1 tablespoon 1x a day) just to try only... beos that time his milk intake was getting lesser.
If he didnt like it I would stop and try again when he is older. But seems that he turned out to like it very much. He could finish whole bowl n all his milk.

But after that try, everyday until now he just turned 5mths I m still giving him 1 tasblesppon 1x a day cos I want to wasit till he is 6mths old before experimenting with more / diff foods.

My friend commented its very little and she started at 4mths old for her girl, she ate almost everything from Cheerios to porridge, puree etc.

Honestly, there are too many conflicting thoughts and opinions on whats the BEST age to start weaning and Im getting so confused myself
i agree.. my cousin started to give her baby solid food when he reach 4mth old.. my mum also asked me to give ds some cereal to try.. i have asked my pd, he said even i dont wanna wait until 6 mths, at least 5mth or 5mth +...

one thing weird is, like one of the mummy mentioned, babies is US started cereal from 4 mth onwards but SG pd always suggest to start on the 6th mth... :err:

jasobias

i agree.. my cousin started to give her baby solid food when he reach 4mth old.. my mum also asked me to give dear son some cereal to try.. i have asked my pediatrician, he said even i dont wanna wait until 6 mths, at least 5mth or 5mth +...

one thing weird is, like one of the mummy mentioned, babies is US started cereal from 4 month onwards but SG pediatrician always suggest to start on the 6th month... :err:
True,i guess coz in sg they promoting full breastfeeding for 6 months to build up babys immunity thts why the paeds dare not promote solids so early.
Me i am gonna start solids at 4 months,earlier if she keeps gaining weight.For a girl she is quite big.Next sat then 3 months..i checked weight at clinic wheni went for my flu jab fwe days ago n she is already 6.6kg.No one believes she is almost 3 months..pple think 6 months leh..hehhehe
N when we r eating in front of her she stares n sticks out her tongue.She is losing her thrusting tongue reflex coz we offer her slice of apple to suck on when we r eating..nice n cold n she loves it,take away then start to cry.My boys also istarted solids earlier.Her paedtrician say 4 months can start already..no need to wait:001_302:

Frenchkitty

Well since that is the case (so many conflicting opinions) then I think we as Mums should just go according to our mother instinct and decide whats best for our child based on our own discretion.

For myself, my Hubby is overweight while Im under..so there is a 50% chance that our baby could be over- or underweight.