How do you teach ALPHABETS?

stonston

Since I started a thread on phonics looking for more ideas, I shall start a thread for alphabets too.

Just to share how we taught my boy alphabets:
- Large poster: my maid will point and teach my boy to identify the different alphabets. then when he can recognise, he trace the alphabets with his fingers
- Alphabet colouring books: we'll let him colour the alphabet and the picture while teaching him and making him repeat the alphabet
- Flashcards: flashed to him since young for the different alphabets. finds that it helps him to identify the alphabets better
- Opportunistic learning: everywhere we go, as long as there are signs/words, we'll ask him to identify the different alphabets (like spelling the word out). we'll make him repeat sight words (it, on, the).
- DVD/VCD: we hv whole series of Word World which makes it interesting :) there are also many good programs that introduce alphabets and they sing songs about alphabets. very interesting.
*if u do not already know, my boy must hv tv when he eat, so he only gets educational programs.

shahlin

Since I started a thread on phonics looking for more ideas, I shall start a thread for alphabets too.

- Large poster: my maid will point and teach my boy to identify the different alphabets. then when he can recognise, he trace the alphabets with his fingers
- Alphabet colouring books: we'll let him colour the alphabet and the picture while teaching him and making him repeat the alphabet
- Flashcards: flashed to him since young for the different alphabets. finds that it helps him to identify the alphabets better
- Opportunistic learning: everywhere we go, as long as there are signs/words, we'll ask him to identify the different alphabets (like spelling the word out). we'll make him repeat sight words (it, on, the).
- DVD/VCD: we have whole series of Word World which makes it interesting :) there are also many good programs that introduce alphabets and they sing songs about alphabets. very interesting.
*if you do not already know, my boy must have tv when he eat, so he only gets educational programs.

Yup.. dats the right way. Im a DPT trained teacher ( took the diploma mainly for my kids)and thats how we were taught during the course. I taught my son similar way and it works wonders. U might want to try the alphabet song too. It goes like this ," Ants eating Apple Aeh aeh aeh (repeat thrice) Aeh is the sound of A. Balls are bouncing beh beh beh (as in burger -buh) ( repeat thrice) Beh is the sound of B. and so on so forth. U can find the book over at borders.

U go girl!:Dancing_wub:

stonston

Yup.. that is the right way. Im a DPT trained teacher ( took the diploma mainly for my kids)and thats how we were taught during the course. I taught my son similar way and it works wonders. you might want to try the alphabet song too. It goes like this ," Ants eating Apple Aeh aeh aeh (repeat thrice) Aeh is the sound of A. Balls are bouncing beh beh beh (as in burger -buh) ( repeat thrice) Beh is the sound of B. and so on so forth. you can find the book over at borders.

you go girl!:Dancing_wub:
I bought a CD called Phonetic Alphabet songs. Quite interesting. The songs are similar to the one you mentioned.

stonston

Ting, pre-requisite of phonics class is they must be able to recognise all the alphabets. My boy going for his first lesson on phonics today :) Will update later about his class :)

stonston

Lesson was interesting. My boy enjoyed himself although he still 'act blur' during the mandarin part of the session and 'pretend' he does not understand & purposely do the opposite!

stonston

Oh ya, just to share an interesting product. 3M has post it notes with alphabets printed on it (like 'A' on 1 post it note). So I went around the house labelling all the items at home with the post it note. Quite fun & my boy enjoyed it!

Charbabe

Hihi,

May i know where did u all buy e alphabet song cd?

Hmmm.... so for a beginning in teaching alphabets, i shd sing n recite e alphabet song with my gal until shes familiar, den i start flashing letters flashcards to her? And for flashcard, do u all use capital n small letters on one side or one on each side?

stonston

Most important is she must be able to recite the ABCs before she can start recognising.

I started with capital letters first. Then proceeded to small letters. I have 2 sets of flashcards. One has caps on 1 side & small letters on the other. One has both caps & small letters side by side (so that he can associate that they are the same letter).

Charbabe

Most important is she must be able to recite the ABCs before she can start recognising.

U mean she must recite to me from A thru Z? Yest i jus kept singing to her e ABC song, n jus now she can sing a b c d..........h i......m....p.....r s......x y z. Cos i doubt she will sing or recite A to Z to me even if she can (base on her character). Any other way to check if she can recite her A-Z?

So a child must be able to recite ABCs, to recognise, and den to learn e letters' sound? Cos i hav bought e leapfrog letter factory dvd but has nt let my gal watch.

stonston

you mean she must recite to me from A thru Z? Yest i just kept singing to her e ABC song, and just now she can sing a b c d..........h i......m....p.....are s......x why z. Cos i doubt she will sing or recite A to Z to me even if she can (base on her character). Any other way to check if she can recite her A-Z?

So a child must be able to recite ABCs, to recognise, and then to learn e letters' sound? Cos i hav bought e leapfrog letter factory dvd but has not let my gal watch.
When you sing the song, you need to SLOW DOWN & make sure she is looking at your lips. I make it into a game with my boy. Whether he will recite or not depends on his mood. So I sing & my hb praise me :p Then he realise if he sings, he get praises. Sometimes my maid will start off for him, then let him continue. Sometimes he likes to sing it FAST, sometimes he likes to sing it SLOW. Really depend on his mood.

It's better that they know recognise the alphabets before you start on letter factory. She might get confused.

blissfulen

- DVD/VCD: we have whole series of Word World which makes it interesting :) there are also many good programs that introduce alphabets and they sing songs about alphabets. very interesting.
*if you do not already know, my boy must have tv when he eat, so he only gets educational programs.
Hi stonston,

You may wish to look at learningstore.com.sg for a range of products relating to phonics

:)

WIsh you a happy weekend

stonston

Hi stonston,

You may wish to look at learningstore.com.sg for a range of products relating to phonics

:)

WIsh you a happy weekend
The items are very pricey & some systems from US are not advisable to be used because their spelling is different from what we use in SG (UK english).

There are alot of FREE resources online that we can use. Most important is OPPORTUNISTIC LEARNING. Making use of daily objects to teach is most effective for them to relate their learning to applicable situations.

blissfulen

I have replied in the Business directory.

Its costly we need to factor in freight and other cost. If you bring in yourself, its about the same cost.

Its your opinion and i respect it.

stonston

I have replied in the Business directory.

Its costly we need to factor in freight and other cost. If you bring in yourself, its about the same cost.

Its your opinion and i respect it.
Now times are bad, we need to spend prudently. Plus US & UK side offering very good discounts plus free shipping if we manage to get a certain number of orders, I'm very sure can get better price because I just brought in some items last month for school.

If economy is better & got more bonus, can consider spending more to save the hassle of contacting merchant side on my own & gathering orders. But the savings is quite substantial (50% off your retail price) so the hassle is worth it if I'm buying alot on my own.

Maybe you can try selling at kiasuparents forum. The parents there are more willing to spend & you might get better response there.