how many times can we feed bb salmon in a wk

Mini_Ace

My boy is 8.5 mths old and I have feed him salmon & threadfin in his porridge at alternate day, meaning my boy will be taking salmon either 3 or 4 days a wk, is it ok for bb or too much for him?

Cos I meet an auntie in NTUC while buying fish, she told me better not to give bb take salmon or cod fish not gd for bb, can anyone advise? Tks..

autumn82

My boy is 8.5 mths old and I have feed him salmon & threadfin in his porridge at alternate day, meaning my boy will be taking salmon either 3 or 4 days a wk, is it ok for baby or too much for him?

Cos I meet an auntie in NTUC while buying fish, she told me better not to give baby take salmon or cod fish not good for baby, can anyone advise? thanks..
Salmon and cod fish not good? Gees.. I give Iggy cod fish daily since 7mths old. Shldn't be a prob for both of these fishes. :)

annie03

My boy is 8.5 mths old and I have feed him salmon & threadfin in his porridge at alternate day, meaning my boy will be taking salmon either 3 or 4 days a wk, is it ok for baby or too much for him?

Cos I meet an auntie in NTUC while buying fish, she told me better not to give baby take salmon or cod fish not good for baby, can anyone advise? thanks..
I give my gal cod fish too most of the time, like 4 days a wk and no prob with it cos i have also make a chk with my pd and he say its fine cos dun really contain much mercury as compare to other fish.. so no worries:tlaugh:

snowbear

I give my dd cod every day since 6-7 months. Cod is fine n in fact one of the recommended first fish to start bb on.

Mini_Ace

Salmon and cod fish not good? Gees.. I give Iggy cod fish daily since 7mths old. Shldn't be a prob for both of these fishes. :)
same with you I give my boy Ashton salmon since 7mths & i tot it was gd as there is omega 3 in salmon n my boy like it alot... when the auntie told me not gd, i was blur...

Mini_Ace

Wat abt salmon cos my boy doesn't take cod fish, he only like salmon n threadfin. So was it alrite to give him salmon 3 or 4 days a wk cos he seems fine to me n love salmon whenever it was added to his porridge..

stonston

The cod & salmon we normally buy from supermarket is FARMED. Google 'farmed fishes' & you will see why some people choose not to feed such fishes. The fishes grow in very packed environment, practically living in their own waste. Naturally, their toxin levels will be higher.

If you want to give salmon or cod, get wild salmon or cod. It's more expensive, easily double the price depending on season.

I do not give my son these 2 fishes at all. Mainly because salmon is too oily & they might not be able to digest well & wild cod is too expensive to feed regularly (sometimes when the adults have steamed cod, we do give him a pinch).

Even for threadfin, there's farmed & wild threadfin also. Normally the farmed threadfin costs around $23- 28 per kg. Wild ones will cost around $40/kg and are usually larger in size.

annie

i tried giving my girl salmon few days ago n felt its super oily as well..n not too sure if the taste is too strong or too oily, she didnt seem to take much food compare to usual.

so stonston, wat fish you give your son then? i read japanese recipe books say we can give tuna(fresh ones. not canned), salmon, sea bream, flatfish, and they only recommend to give cod fish after bb is 9-11mths old...

Ting

hmm, i always give pin salmon n threadfin.
she loves salmon (like mummy!).

just got this from the internet.

Which Fish May Contain the Highest Levels of Mercury?

It has been found that fish species such as

swordfish
king mackerel
shark and
tilefish

contain the highest amounts of mercury.

Salmon, contrary to popular belief, has lower levels of mercury than one typically thinks, as does tuna. Cold water fish have lower levels of mercury and also contain higher levels of Omega 3's.

autumn82

The cod & salmon we normally buy from supermarket is FARMED. Google 'farmed fishes' & you will see why some people choose not to feed such fishes. The fishes grow in very packed environment, practically living in their own waste. Naturally, their toxin levels will be higher.

If you want to give salmon or cod, get wild salmon or cod. It's more expensive, easily double the price depending on season.

I do not give my son these 2 fishes at all. Mainly because salmon is too oily & they might not be able to digest well & wild cod is too expensive to feed regularly (sometimes when the adults have steamed cod, we do give him a pinch).

Even for threadfin, there's farmed & wild threadfin also. Normally the farmed threadfin costs around $23- 28 per kg. Wild ones will cost around $40/kg and are usually larger in size.
Stonston~ How abt those cod fish we buy from wet markets? Fine for daily consumption? How to differiate wild?? :001_302:

CanCanMum

salmon got mercury content anots???

baber oso likes salmon coz its sweet when i steam it but since mum prefers threadfin i leave it to her

Ting

salmon got mercury content anots???

baber also likes salmon coz its sweet when i steam it but since mum prefers threadfin i leave it to her
think most ocean fishes will hv, just whether is high or low in content.

snowbear

Wet market fish should be fine right? Coz the threadfin and cod i buy from the wet market are EXPENSIVE! Threadfin's $40-45/kg and cod's $35/kg. But i notice the stall next to the one that i always buy from sells the cheap type of threadfin... like what you say, $20+/kg only.

stonston

Wet market really depends. They usually have both, so do ask carefully. & if you search online for different btw farmed & wild salmon, you can spot the different through the looks of the head.

My son currently takes mixture of wild & farmed threadfin (easier on the pocket). Sometimes my mum gives him leather jacket as it's sweet.

& toxin level need not mean MERCURY only. There are many other toxins that can be found in fishes & ingested by us. Just do a search on farmed fishes & you'll find out more.