How many times of nap is your toddler having per day?

jxmummy

Hi mummies,

would like to check, how many times of nap is your toddler having per day?
dd is turning 19 months old soon, she's currently having 2 naps of 1.5hrs per day, 1 in the late morning and 1 in the late afternoon (normally till 5.30pm). but recently i realised that she's having difficulties to sleep in the night time as she's still very energetic, should i reduce her nap time frequency or hrs? and, i'm also trying hard to wean her off the yaolan, i'm doing my part but MIL is not. i'm a FTWM, MIL is taking care of dd, i did told MIL i want to wean DD off the yaolan and told her how i normally did when dd fell aslp in yaolan, but it seems that she's not doing her part well. what should i do?

liz2010

Hi mummies,

dear daughter is turning 19 months old soon, she's currently having 2 naps of 1.5hrs per day, 1 in the late morning and 1 in the late afternoon (normally till 5.30pm). but recently i realised that she's having difficulties to sleep in the night time as she's still very energetic, should i reduce her nap time frequency or hours? and, i'm also trying hard to wean her off the yaolan, i'm doing my part but mother in law is not. i'm a full time working mum, mother in law is taking care of dear daughter, i did told mother in law i want to wean dear daughter off the yaolan and told her how i normally did when dear daughter fell aslp in yaolan, but it seems that she's not doing her part well. what should i do?
My daughter is 20 mo. Since she's 15 mo, she dropped the morning nap. Now she sleeps 2.5 / 3 hours everyday, usually from 1 to 3.30 / 4 pm. She sleeps at 9 pm at night til 7.30 in the morning. I suggest you drop her morning nap. You can wake her up from her morning nap: put it forward 15 mn every other day til she drops it and sleeps earlier in the afternoon. Depending of what time she wakes up in the morning, but she should be able to have only one nap per day after lunch.

Amulet

at ard 18months, my DD dropped her evening nap, so only taking a 1-2.5hr nap in the late morning.. she goes to bed ard 9pm in the night..

as for yaolan, my mum agreed to wean off the yaolan as she is going to childcare soon n there is no yao lan in childcare.. so no problem with that..

if i'm u, i would have told MIL again about weaning the yaolan, and just take down the yaolan n give it away.. so that she cannot use yaolan anymore..

jxmummy

My daughter is 20 mo. Since she's 15 mo, she dropped the morning nap. Now she sleeps 2.5 / 3 hours everyday, usually from 1 to 3.30 / 4 pm. She sleeps at 9 pm at night til 7.30 in the morning. I suggest you drop her morning nap. You can wake her up from her morning nap: put it forward 15 mn every other day til she drops it and sleeps earlier in the afternoon. Depending of what time she wakes up in the morning, but she should be able to have only one nap per day after lunch.
hi liz2010,

thank you for the advice. normally she sleeps at 10pm at night and wakes up at 8am in the morning, so if i drop her morning nap and let her sleeps after her lunch, she should be able to sleep early at night right?

jxmummy

at around 18months, my dear daughter dropped her evening nap, so only taking a 1-2.5hr nap in the late morning.. she goes to bed around 9pm in the night..

as for yaolan, my mum agreed to wean off the yaolan as she is going to childcare soon n there is no yao lan in childcare.. so no problem with that..

if i'm you, i would have told mother in law again about weaning the yaolan, and just take down the yaolan n give it away.. so that she cannot use yaolan anymore..
hi amulet,

dd is also going to playgroup soon, from 9am to 11am.
my mil has a bad habit, whenever she 'yao' the yaolan, she 'yao' till so hard, and dd is like flying up and down, this worries me so much. i did tell her so many times not to 'yao' so hard, but she never seems to listen, and this is also why i wanted to wean dd off the yaolan soon.

apollo

Hi mummies,

dear daughter is turning 19 months old soon, she's currently having 2 naps of 1.5hrs per day, 1 in the late morning and 1 in the late afternoon (normally till 5.30pm). but recently i realised that she's having difficulties to sleep in the night time as she's still very energetic, should i reduce her nap time frequency or hours? and, i'm also trying hard to wean her off the yaolan, i'm doing my part but mother in law is not. i'm a full time working mum, mother in law is taking care of dear daughter, i did told mother in law i want to wean dear daughter off the yaolan and told her how i normally did when dear daughter fell aslp in yaolan, but it seems that she's not doing her part well. what should i do?
hi jxmummy,

ds is 17mth old. at the age of ard 15mth old, we cut down his nap to once a day. b4 tt, he used to nap 1.5hrs twice a day. but same as ur girl, we realise he was very energetic at night. he will even wake up in the middle of night just to PLAY-.-""

Thinking that night slp is muh more impt than the daytime naps. we dropped one of hi nap. From what i read, and what my mummy frens told me, at ard 17-18 mths, most toddlers are taking only 1 nap. but this depends on individual, some toddlers nap alot in the day but still can slp very well at night while some (lik ds), below 18mths but cannot nap too much if not will affect heir night time slp.

As for the yaolan part, s ur girl slping in it even at night? if night time she is able to slp on bed, den i think it is much more easier to wean off than those who slp in yaolan even on night time. u can wean her off on weekends. during the nap, just pat her to slp is can. i noe patting a child to slp sounds lik a bad habit but IMO, it's pretty diffi to not to pat a child if she is used o yaolan.

my mum also used to 'disagree' with me when i was trying to wean ds off yaolan. but when she see there is some 'improvement', she slowly gave in. u can try, maybe when ur MIL see ur girl slowly accept the bed, she will also slowly gives in? =)

liz2010

hi liz2010,

thank you for the advice. normally she sleeps at 10pm at night and wakes up at 8am in the morning, so if i drop her morning nap and let her sleeps after her lunch, she should be able to sleep early at night right?
If she wakes up earlier in the afternoon from the nap time, she should be able to sleep earlier at night. Again, it depends on babies. My son had the same routine as my daughter, but he slept at 9.30 pm (still earlier than 10 pm). Anyway, you can try and see. Once you establish one nap per day, don't let your baby sleeps after 4 or 4.30 pm. I wake up my children from their nap if they sleep too long. Usually, I allow them to sleep until 4 pm.

raeka

Since my boy 15 month onward he only slept one afternoon nap for 2-2.15 hr.
Slept too long will affect their night sleep.

Slowly wean off , did you look after your child at night?
If so you can try slowly but if is your IL look after then is hard as old ppl like child sleep Yao LAN.
They dont have e patience for them to sleep on bed.

Tell ur MIL shakin e Yao LAN too hard will cause brain problem. Tell her is doctor say one.

Last edited:

Porukadotzu

my eldest girl start to nap once a day also around 18mth...now she's 2 yrs, she took 1x 2 hour nap or more sometime and yet she still energetic untill late at night...she sleep so late most of the night =( no matter how hard i try to put her to sleep at 9pm but she still feel fresh~~:embarrassed:
she slept on yaolan at daytime and bed at nite time...there was some time she dun wanna sleep on yaolan for few mths. then she ask me she wanna get back in...:err:dunno why too.

my youngest daughter now 1 yr old already sleep 1x 2-3 hour a day nap (normally after lunch)
and sometimes she would take another nap in the afternoon around 5 or 6pm but not everyday, so its depends on her mood :001_302: i wonder issit ok to do tat? or should i force her to take 2nd nap?!?
and since she's 7mth she don't wanna sleep in yaolan, she would cry if i put her there, coz she want to toss her body around to sleep hehe.so untill now she sleep on bed (day and nite)

as for yaolan, maybe your mother inlaw feel much easier to put the child to sleep, she doze off faster and if she startled can just yao yao untill she doze off again...ya know... if she sleep on bed tat means your mom in law hv to be around her, if she startled then cry she would be awake and dun wanna sleep anymore...sometime baby get cranky if they dun get enough sleep then trouble for ur mother in law...cranky baby is a handfull ya know...:001_302:

first time i also dun like yaolan coz its like forcing to sleep while baby wanna be active, but then i think again, baby would sleep soundly and they feel secure tats y she slept longer...and i can do my other things like house chores and stuff hehe...

i took care both of my gals btw, and i'm armed with 1 yaolan too.

jxmummy

hi jxmummy,

dear son is 17mth old. at the age of around 15mth old, we cut down his nap to once a day. before that, he used to nap 1.5hrs twice a day. but same as your girl, we realise he was very energetic at night. he will even wake up in the middle of night just to PLAY-.-""

Thinking that night sleep is muh more impt than the daytime naps. we dropped one of hi nap. From what i read, and what my mummy friends told me, at around 17-18 mths, most toddlers are taking only 1 nap. but this depends on individual, some toddlers nap alot in the day but still can sleep very well at night while some (lik dear son), below 18mths but cannot nap too much if not will affect heir night time sleep.

As for the yaolan part, s your girl sleeping in it even at night? if night time she is able to sleep on bed, then i think it is much more easier to wean off than those who sleep in yaolan even on night time. you can wean her off on weekends. during the nap, just pat her to sleep is can. i know patting a child to sleep sounds lik a bad habit but IMO, it's pretty diffi to not to pat a child if she is used o yaolan.

my mum also used to 'disagree' with me when i was trying to wean dear son off yaolan. but when she see there is some 'improvement', she slowly gave in. you can try, maybe when your mother in law see your girl slowly accept the bed, she will also slowly gives in? =)
Hmm, it's a bit difficult.
I'm a FTWM, normally when i reach hme after work, dd has already woke up from her 2nd nap. when approaching dd sleeping time at night, i will carry her to my room and start to pat her to sleep, sometimes it succeeds, but sometimes don't. even though i told her a few times i wanted dd to wean off the yaolan, there's still no improvement.

jxmummy

If she wakes up earlier in the afternoon from the nap time, she should be able to sleep earlier at night. Again, it depends on babies. My son had the same routine as my daughter, but he slept at 9.30 pm (still earlier than 10 pm). Anyway, you can try and see. Once you establish one nap per day, dont't let your baby sleeps after 4 or 4.30 pm. I wake up my children from their nap if they sleep too long. Usually, I allow them to sleep until 4 pm.
okay, thanks. i will need to tell my mil about it.

jxmummy

Since my boy 15 month onward he only slept one afternoon nap for 2-2.15 hr.
Slept too long will affect their night sleep.

Slowly wean off , did you look after your child at night?
If so you can try slowly but if is your IL look after then is hard as old ppl like child sleep Yao LAN.
They dont have e patience for them to sleep on bed.

Tell your mother in law shakin e Yao LAN too hard will cause brain problem. Tell her is doctor say one.
yes, i look after my child at night. i'm trying hard to wean her off the yaolan, it succeeds, but not everytime, nevertheless, i'm still trying my best. i did tell my husband to tell mil not to shake so hard as it will cause brain problems, it did improve at the start, but as days pass by, she forgotten again.

jxmummy

my eldest girl start to nap once a day also around 18mth...now she's 2 yrs, she took 1x 2 hour nap or more sometime and yet she still energetic untill late at night...she sleep so late most of the night =( no matter how hard i try to put her to sleep at 9pm but she still feel fresh~~:embarrassed:
she slept on yaolan at daytime and bed at nite time...there was some time she dont wanna sleep on yaolan for few mths. then she ask me she wanna get back in...:err:dont know why too.

my youngest daughter now 1 yr old already sleep 1x 2-3 hour a day nap (normally after lunch)
and sometimes she would take another nap in the afternoon around 5 or 6pm but not everyday, so its depends on her mood :001_302: i wonder issit ok to do that? or should i force her to take 2nd nap?!?
and since she's 7mth she dont't wanna sleep in yaolan, she would cry if i put her there, coz she want to toss her body around to sleep hehe.so untill now she sleep on bed (day and nite)

as for yaolan, maybe your mother inlaw feel much easier to put the child to sleep, she doze off faster and if she startled can just yao yao untill she doze off again...ya know... if she sleep on bed that means your mom in law have to be around her, if she startled then cry she would be awake and dont wanna sleep anymore...sometime baby get cranky if they dont get enough sleep then trouble for your mother in law...cranky baby is a handfull ya know...:001_302:

first time i also dont like yaolan coz its like forcing to sleep while baby wanna be active, but then i think again, baby would sleep soundly and they feel secure tats y she slept longer...and i can do my other things like house chores and stuff hehe...

i took care both of my gals btw, and i'm armed with 1 yaolan too.
ya, i understand, but i do not want dd to be too dependant on the yaolan. i also understand that if dd sleeps on the bed, it will cause troubles to my mil, so i'm thinking of buying a mattress to ler dd sleep on the floor rather than on the bed, also can prevent dd from falling off the bed. and one thing is, my mil always rock the yaolan so hard that dd is flying up and down inside the yaolan! told mil quite a few times already, she did improve, but forget again as days pass by.

apollo

Hmm, it's a bit difficult.
I'm a full time working mum, normally when i reach hme after work, dear daughter has already woke up from her 2nd nap. when approaching dear daughter sleeping time at night, i will carry her to my room and start to pat her to sleep, sometimes it succeeds, but sometimes dont't. even though i told her a few times i wanted dear daughter to wean off the yaolan, there's still no improvement.
if ur mil is not willing to help u wean her off yaolan, maybe ask her to cut short her nap or drop 1 nap? mayb if she takes 1 nap per day, she might be able to slp better at night? =)

jxmummy

if your mother in law is not willing to help you wean her off yaolan, maybe ask her to cut short her nap or drop 1 nap? mayb if she takes 1 nap per day, she might be able to sleep better at night? =)
yup, intended to tell her, still thinking of a nice way to tell her, if not later she will say, why leh? nap 2 times per day okay ma, cannot meh? all sorts of nonsense will come out.

apollo

yup, intended to tell her, still thinking of a nice way to tell her, if not later she will say, why ? nap 2 times per day okay , cannot meh? all sorts of nonsense will come out.
wow!! same as my mother!!! Initially i got a big fat scolding from my mum cos they feel tt kids shd slp more. and i told her if he continue such nap timing, me and hub will suffer at night. Imagine he woke up every night to PLAY!!! He can play for 2-3 hrs b4 going bk to slp!!! My mum just said "at night wake up the most u suffer abit only, since u're staying at hm, when he nap, u also can nap with him." well, they just dont seems to understand that night slp is more impt than naps.. -.-""

Maybe u can try to talk to her when ur hub is ard? b4 that, let ur hub know and tell him tt u expect him to stand by ur side. =)

isabelandrew

ya. night sleep is more important.

my girl sleep very early in the morning. 10am ! till 11.30am or 12noon.

then my mil will try to let her sleep like 30 mins in the later afternoon.

she sleeep by 8pm and wakes up 7am the next day.

my girl can really sleep one :)

meiteoh

I think Eva is the oddball leh. She wakes up at 7am, has two naps (at least 1.5 hours each) and wants - I repeat, wants - to be in bed by 8pm at night liao. She sleeps through as well. I think it's because she has always been a sleeper plus when she's awake, she's quite active. :)

If kiddo is having a hard time sleeping at night, you may want to consider diet as well as other things - diet here is basically sugar. Does your kiddo have any toddler FM before going to bed? Coz blood sugar imbalance is one of the reasons behind hyperactivity in children. The other could be that your kiddo is super stimulated close to bed, eg playing, etc, so find it hard to zzz.

autumn82

Iggy has been on 1 nap (2.5-3hrs) since 16mths old or so until now. Before that, he used to be taking 2 naps of 1.5hrs each. He sleeps at 8pm, wakes up at 7-7.30am for the day.

jaybaobei

Hi mummies,

i wean my bb off the yaolan when they are around 18mths. that time i also hesitated on how to wean them off. maybe u can try my way.
usually they hv 2 naps - one in morning around 10am+ till 12pm+ and the other is afternoon nap around 3.30-4pm till 5pm+. i cut off the morning nap and when around 12-1pm, they start to feel abit tired. but still don't let them sleep. until around 2pm, they totally tired until lazy to move, just lie on the sofa watch tv. i put the mattress in their room and let them lie down.
about 10-15mins of patting, they sleep like log.

u can try & wish u gd luck!

all the best!