How to make Ikan bilis powder??

crystal79

Hi mummies,

Anyone know how to make the ikan bilis powder cos thought of putting in the porridge for my daughter.... Not very sure how to make... pls advise??? Thanks

annie

dry the ikan billis by sunning or toasting then put into those miller to mill(grind)

annie

opps forgot to mention got to wash first! lol. yeah yeah wash wash wash.. impt step..

annie

oven toaster? hmm... dunno can or not.. wat i do is i wash the ikan bilis then throw into a frying pan or pot(empty without any oil, water, butter etc) then fry it till it its dry lor. then throw into blender/mixer/miller (watever that makes it into powder lol). but hor.. blender can blend till become powder meh?? i use miller...

crystal79

oven toaster? hmm... dont know can or not.. what i do is i wash the ikan bilis then throw into a frying pan or pot(empty without any oil, water, butter etc) then fry it till it its dry . then throw into blender/mixer/miller (watever that makes it into powder lol). but .. blender can blend till become powder meh?? i use miller...
Oic.... ok thanks alot annie.... will try it out tomorrow. :001_302:

annie

no pro. do update k? i was looking through my oven toaster's instruction booklet n mine seem to be only able to toast bread...

crystal79

no pro. do update k? i was looking through my oven toaster's instruction booklet and mine seem to be only able to toast bread...
Hi annie... sorry to ask u one more thing, do we need to cut the head and tail before frying the ikan bilis... heard from the nurse from polyclinic that must cut the head and tail , then bring to mill into powder... or jus put the whole ikan bilis inside the miller??

annie

wah need to cut ah? i dunno bout that... maybe wait n see if snowbear knows. so far i haven try making ikan bilis into powder.. i jsut read it up before but it never says anything bout cutting head n tail though...

i intend to start with toasting brown rice... ikan bilis not that soon hehe

stonston

pls remove the head of the ikan bilis when making it into powder for babies.
or u can buy ikan bilis with head already removed :)

if u r using toaster oven, leave the door slightly open. u onli wanna dry the ikan bilis, not burn it :)

stonston

The head of ikan bilis is very dirty. and it does not contribute much to calcium, so it's best to remove.

i used to make ikan bilis powder from fresh silver fish for sale but now no time le. i even hv a professional food dehydrator to dry the fresh fish in hygienic conditions (not exposed to dust n dirt under the sun). i always remove the head and rinse the fish thoroughly before drying them then pounding them into powder.

Domique

Ston Ston when u making again... how much u selling.... i want ley

The head of ikan bilis is very dirty. and it does not contribute much to calcium, so it's best to remove.

i used to make ikan bilis powder from fresh silver fish for sale but now no time . i even have a professional food dehydrator to dry the fresh fish in hygienic conditions (not exposed to dust and dirt under the sun). i always remove the head and rinse the fish thoroughly before drying them then pounding them into powder.

stonston

Dominique, no time to go market lei. Maybe this monday can make since PH, but totally depends on whether market got fresh silver fish or not!

snowbear

Maybe this monday can make since PH, but totally depends on whether market got fresh silver fish or not!
Hi stonston, what do you call fresh silver fish in dialect? Coz if i buy from market, can't use English... :001_302:

Anyway, will it be salty like ikan bilis? Coz my mil made a batch of ikan bilis powder for alicia and it tastes really salty so i refused to give it to alicia...

stonston

It's called 'yin yu' in chinese.

It's natural sea salt, so will be salty. But I normally rinse in distilled water to get rid of excess salt.

annie

so is ikan billis salt bad for babies? since its salty.. but then again its said that ikan billis are good for their calcium...