how to prevent mosquitoes?

M&M

any idea how to prevent mosquitoes from biting our bb? in-laws suggested on getting mosquitoe nets but i find it not useful(never tried just thinking only)cos our room is very hot/warm, if on aircon every nite, waste a lot of money. if on fan, wont it be giving the mosquitoe a chance to fly into the net?(the thought of the mosquitoe flying in n got trap inside n have buffet on my bb scares me) anyone?

yyt47

I tried spraying the repellent, it did not work..in fact got worse...but recently i plug those electric repellent (u can get fm Kiddy Palace), it works for my little girl. I on it only when she sleeps.... Hope it helps.

There had not been any bites so far for her... (cross fingers)

youngmami

Yup.. I am using those electric repellent. Can buy refill once it finishes...

So far no bites for both my kids (touchwood)

Phoebii Cheng

does the elect repellent oso repell insect bites? cos' recently my son got bitten by insects and it's not just 1 bite, its many bites lor..............

M&M

i have the electric repellent at home too. cos my hse will have mosquitoes especially on rainy days. i dare not use when i'm pregnant. becos from wat i've learnt, electric repellent give off vapour and i'm scared that it might be harmful to the unborn. so i'm worried that the vapour might be harmful to bb too.

CDL

I'm using the mosquito net for my baby. Yes it is warm but a small price to pay for baby's health and comfort. I decided against getting the electric repellent as I didn;t want my baby to inhale such chemicals. Incidentally when I was young, I remember my grandmother usinf insence every week - supposed to keep mosquitoes away. I havn;t tried but am concerned about the fire/safety issues involved.

Was also told that the citronella plant gives out a smell and mosquitoes keep away from these plants. Not sure if this is effective enough.

For getting rid of other insects, I recommend sunning the mattress and bedding regularly to kill or get rid of them. Alternatively steam them with a household steamer.

newbie2009

I'm using the mosquito net for my baby. Yes it is warm but a small price to pay for baby's health and comfort. I decided against getting the electric repellent as I didn;t want my baby to inhale such chemicals. Incidentally when I was young, I remember my grandmother usinf insence every week - supposed to keep mosquitoes away. I havn;t tried but am concerned about the fire/safety issues involved.

Was also told that the citronella plant gives out a smell and mosquitoes keep away from these plants. Not sure if this is effective enough.

For getting rid of other insects, I recommend sunning the mattress and bedding regularly to kill or get rid of them. Alternatively steam them with a household steamer.
Will the mosquito net become a hazard when the baby knows how to grab things? Is it really warm in the mosquito net? Have not tried it before.

wawa

i am getting citronella essential oil as I heard they are effective to repel mosquitoes. I did a check with the plant itself but it appears that the plant does not repel mosquito but the smell/oil. So in order for the plant to be effective, you have to crush a few leaves to allow the smell to come out.

CDL

Ahh..just posted reply but it has disappeared. Just here is abridged version.

Nets are good if positioned well. Get a stand and ensure that net does not touch baby's skin, otherwise mosquito can land on net and still bite baby through net.

Using net can be warm but depends on baby's tolerance level. I have fan on 24 hours pointed to a spot beside cot (ie, not blowing directly at baby but circulating air). Air-con on for 1 hour every 3-4 hours when I feed baby (set timer). Fan helps by circulating cool air from aircon.

Essential oils also good but must check whether other oils, fragrances or chemicals mixed in to enhance aroma. Don;t want baby to smell fragrance and chemicals.

yyt47

The electric repellent i use is not those chemical type..is those that gives off some high pitch sounds (human cannot detect/hear- according to what i read when i bought it) that keeps mosquitoes away..... not sure if this is that harmful...if anyone can let me know will be helpful...heehe

lisa_ng

i am getting citronella essential oil as I heard they are effective to repel mosquitoes. I did a check with the plant itself but it appears that the plant does not repel mosquito but the smell/oil. So in order for the plant to be effective, you have to crush a few leaves to allow the smell to come out.
i'm using california baby lotion with citronella for bug repellent.
so far it did help whenever i applied on my girl.
mayb a easier way to keep mozzie away.

i almost wanted to get those electric repeller but have those sound wave or uv light, though it's a safe level but decided to give it a miss.
if anyone interested can check it out on maier.com.sg or from those diy shops.

those like plug with oil type i used b4, but like not effective. :(

lisa_ng

The electric repellent i use is not those chemical type..is those that gives off some high pitch sounds (human cannot detect/hear- according to what i read when i bought it) that keeps mosquitoes away..... not sure if this is that harmful...if anyone can let me know will be helpful...heehe
i suppose it's safe.
in fact humidifier & air purifier oso have this sound wave but all are safe level.

i have both of them so not to complicate things i decided not to get electric repeller.
but now have to consider buying one for the living room, too many mozzie nowadays. :(

yakii

ya the plug in one is good but then i onli on it for a while b4 my son sleep then will off it when the smell cover the whole room as he has sensitive nose..will complain is very smelly

snowbear

any idea how to prevent mosquitoes from biting our bb? in-laws suggested on getting mosquitoe nets but i find it not useful(never tried just thinking only)cos our room is very hot/warm, if on aircon every nite, waste a lot of money. if on fan, wont it be giving the mosquitoe a chance to fly into the net?(the thought of the mosquitoe flying in n got trap inside n have buffet on my bb scares me) anyone?
I've tried the electrical repellent with refill type (Mortein) and another electrical repellent that relies on sound waves (bought at Kiddy Palace) but both dun work v well - still kenna bitten. Recently just bought this Antimos product that's organic and safe for children and another electrical repellent from Homefix. So far so good. :)

M&M

i have the sound repellent and the uv light repellent at home too. a bit kiasu cos the mosquitoes likes to feed on me... :(
hmmm.. a lot of recommendations here. very gd. i'll discuss with hubby n finalise on wat we should get for bb. thanks to all:)

lisa_ng

I've tried the electrical repellent with refill type (Mortein) and another electrical repellent that relies on sound waves (bought at Kiddy Palace) but both dun work v well - still kenna bitten. Recently just bought this Antimos product that's organic and safe for children and another electrical repellent from Homefix. So far so good. :)
can share more info about this organic product?

lisa_ng

It uses citronella, garlic oil, pine oil, dipentene, camphor powder and camphene. Smells very nice, i feel relaxed when i smell it. :)
wow seems to smell nice.
where did you buy this product?

saw the demo on the website. seems good. :)

Last edited:

Jane Chow

I bought a mosquitos killer lamp from homefix and so far it works well for us...i can see a few mosquitos and other insects dead in the filter tray...it also provides a bit of light in the dark as well...