How would you have reacted?

tika

We were at Vivocity yesterday and we decided to check out some books at Page One. As I am heavily pregnant, after selecting the books I wanna check out, hubby told me to go sit on one of the little stools at the children's reading corner. Plus our 16 month old girl can have abit of space to wander about without disturbing other people at the adults section. So I waddled to the children's reading corner with my toddler toddling behind me, hubby was still browsing some books elsewhere.

There were two men at the children's reading corner. One was seated on a stool at the furthest corner of the space and the other man, much older, was sitting on the floor, his back was against the glass panel and his legs were spread out in front of him. His legs were right smack in the way of a round table with lots of baby books. He saw us approaching and he carried on reading his comics.

I sat down on a stool against the same glass panel as well. I remembered thinking it was odd of him to half lie down there when there were many stools around to be sat on.

My toddler, seeing the many books on the round table got excited and started to pick out afew books. As she turned around to pass the books to me, she tripped over the man's feet and her forehead hit squarely on tip of his formal black shoes.

So there she was, sprawled across his legs, and the man said in a grouchy tone... "TSK! aiyoh!"

He did not pull his legs in, nor did he do anything else. In fact, he didn't budge at all. I couldn't get up quickly enough from the short stool, so my 16 month old pulled herself up, rubbed her forehead and walked to me. Altho she didn't cry, I was pretty mad and puzzled why the man made it seem like my dotter was at fault for tripping over his legs.

Soon another toddler came running by and almost tripped over his legs. Again he didn't move away his legs. Was I a doormat for not telling him off? I kept thinking it is a public place afterall and anyone is allowed to sit at the children's corner. Do I have the right to tell someone so much older than me to sit properly while in public? Especially when toddlers or young children could trip over them.

I'm actually partly annoyed I didn't say anything to him. But I dunno whether it would have made a difference cos he looked like he couldn't care less anyway.

jasobias

U shld have told the bookshop staff.Tell them some inconsiderate leper is blocking the kids way n tell them that if ur kid was hurt it wld be the books stores fault n u wld be suing their ass off or at least writing in.Usually that wld do the trick.The bookstore staff wld get their asses in action.
But if it were me i wld be yelling at the guy n creating a scene.I am the extreme kind.How dare he even expresses annoyance.Shld have told him..eh ah pek..why dont sit under ur block ah?

tika

Shld have told him..eh pek..why dont sit under your block ?
HAHAHAHAHAHA

thats funny. :p

yeah...i probably should have. But the thought of waddling all the way to the front of the store to complain put me off. I actually told my husband about it. My husband wanted to pretend to trip over his legs too then kick up a fuss. I didn't allow it. I AM a doormat come to think about it! I only dare to tell my parents/ in laws off when they are irritating. haha.

apollo

dont blame urself... i dont know abt u but if is me, i dare not scold anyone when i was preg cause i scare ppl will box my tummy.. haha.. and one thing is, during my preg, my reaction super slow so i doubt i'll scold him too.. haha

tika

dont blame yourself... i dont know about you but if is me, i dare not scold anyone when i was preg cause i scare ppl will box my tummy.. haha.. and one thing is, during my preg, my reaction super slow so i doubt i'll scold him too.. haha
i agree with the super slow reaction. now that im in my 3rd trimester, i feel even more gong gong sometimes. and forgetful too.

tika

Another incident happened at vivocity banquet last month.

My girl seldom throws things onto the floor and even when she does, i'll just use my firm tone of voice and she will usually change her mind and bang it on the table instead. Our way of discipline is to use kind but firm methods, not the usual scolding our parents did with us.

That day, I was having my dinner and my 15 mth old was seated in a highchair. Hubby was away ordering his food. She was restless so I allowed her to play with a container cover. She accidentally dropped it and a cleaning aunty came to pick it up. I thanked her and carried on eating. My girl then grabbed a spoon and played with it. She wanted to drop the spoon on the floor too but I firmly told her to put the spoon back on the table and she did. But at the same time, the cleaning lady raised her voice and say...AAH!! DON'T BE NOTTY!!! Anyhow throw things on the floor! Notty girl ah!!

I turned to look at the lady and she was glaring at my dotter and giving her the 'no no finger'. I raised my eyebrow in disapproval but didn't say anything. I carried on eating. After afew minutes, I noticed my girl was still looking at the lady. Then suddenly she burst into tears and wailed her eyes out like someone had spanked her like that. My hubby came running with his food (it was a comical sight really) and asked whats wrong. I said I dunno she suddenly burst into tears! Then i realised she must have been terrified of the glaring no no finger lady. I turned to look at the lady but she had walked away from us. It took us a good 20 minutes to calm my girl down, much to the annoyance of my hungry husband.

Again I ask....shd I have spoken up? I can't blame the old lady for not knowing our way of disciplining our child. But shd I have told her to stop glaring and intimidating my girl? Would you allow a stranger to make your child cry even if the stranger thinks she's helping you out?

CanCanMum

i hate hate hate those pple sticking their bloody legs outta anywhere!!! lols~~~especially in mrts or bus seats where the seats faced each other and they oso wonx auto retract!!!

when pregnant u canx do anything "dangerous"

next time step on their legs. Or pretend pretend u dunno and walk and kick their legs. Believe me, u will not lose balance (whahahahah~~~this is wad i did) BUT only when u r not pregnant horr~~

for the outsider disciplining yr kiddo, haiz i have faced that once as well. The grandma came to tell my son off (it was her own grandson at fault, not mine, but her grandson complained to her first, so she win lorr).....i was like u too, kept quiet coz it was first day of school orientation day, dun wanna offend any parents, so i oso kept quiet.

but its always good to speak up. I am learning to. But if things really gets too much, think as mother instinct we will naturally speak up without knowing. Or at the back of your mind u thought it may not turn out to be as serious that makes u find it unnecessary to tell the lady off?

Ting

tika, if pin was in the situation, if she tripped n fall over the guy's leg n he still dun feel sorry abt it, i will tell him off.
besides, its a CHILDREN corner, there's a reason why they call it tt, its for children.
afterall, if he argue with me, he's at the losing end, cos, he's the one who hurt my child, n sitting there when he shldnt be in the first place!
tika, if u r right dun be afraid to stand up to such ppl.

once, this man, he bumped into pin when we were walking, his briefcase literally bang her so hard i can feel her move a big step backwards, lucky i was holding her hand if not she sure fall.
that man was talkin so he nvr notice her, so i give it to him, but he NVR apologise!
he's some china business man i think, then he just look at me blankly while i waited for him to apologise!
then he just stand there, n im facing him carryingin pin who was crying her head off. then he started to turn n walk off cos this stupid fren (sg) of his ask him to go.
then i just say loud, WTF! stupid idiot dunno how to apologise? then his fren n him turn cos they quite shock when i say it loudly, then his fren stare at me n i say :YES! im calling him an idiot! u didnt hear clearly?"
then he stare at me fiercely n give me tt F sign.
i shouted :RIGHT BACK AT U OLD MAN!!!
he wanted to walk towards me but his frens pull him away. i tell him, u r in the wrong u still dare to be so fierce, u dare u come lar!
then he faster walk off cos alot of ppl staring at us.
so angry tt time lor!
he is lucky pin with me n im carrying her n pacifying her, if not he sure get it from me!
he bump me nvm lor, i take it as he no manners. but a small kid, he shld have the decency to say sorry. dunno their education taught them what!

Ting

tika, the banquent issue, for me, so far i haven met any.
in fact im the one who will ask those shop assisstant/ cleaner to "scold" pin. as in tell her canot run here n there etc.
then she will scared.
haha!

jasobias

hhaha..ya i am the kind who also steps on sticking out feet n if i have my stroller with me i just run them over then pretend blur blur also.So far no one has ever confronted me as i dont look the least approachable kind n also helps tht i dont look local.I am extermely confrontational..just my personality ..n hell always breaks loose if anyone bullies my kid or hurts them even if intentionally.I used to bring my sons out n the youngest wld always kena slam by pples handbags n those idiots never apologise.I ALWAYS run after them or tap on their shoulers n say"u just hurt my son..arent u gonna apologise?!!!"They also get embarrased n they do.I even went after an idiot man on a bicycle once coz he brushed agst my son quite hard n didnt stop.I ran after him yelling until someone stopped him n i made him apologise.Told him lucky my son not hurt or he wld be in trouble!!
So if anyone of u guys encounter a crazy lady juggling 3 kids n telling pple off..it wld probably be me!!!hahahhaha

autumn82

hhaha..ya i am the kind who also steps on sticking out feet and if i have my stroller with me i just run them over then pretend blur blur also.So far no one has ever confronted me as i dont look the least approachable kind and also helps tht i dont look local.I am extermely confrontational..just my personality ..and hell always breaks loose if anyone bullies my kid or hurts them even if intentionally.I used to bring my sons out and the youngest wld always kena slam by pples handbags and those idiots never apologise.I ALWAYS run after them or tap on their shoulers and say"you just hurt my son..arent you gonna apologise?!!!"They also get embarrased and they do.I even went after an idiot man on a bicycle once coz he brushed agst my son quite hard and didnt stop.I ran after him yelling until someone stopped him and i made him apologise.Told him lucky my son not hurt or he wld be in trouble!!
So if anyone of you guys encounter a crazy lady juggling 3 kids and telling pple off..it wld probably be me!!!hahahhaha
Sounds like me.. :tlaugh:^10

uddermummy

jasobias, wah next time if i knock into a little boy and someone comes running after me with 2 kids in tow, then i'll know it's you! hahaha.

another major peeve, pple who don't give way to my stroller even after I've said 'excuse me' many times. These pple deaf or what? In the end, I pek cek and will run them over with my stroller.

annie

i usually dun like to scold ppl but then i very sarcastic.. i will tell my girl wat i wanted to say to the man instead lol. eg.. jumpy u see that ah pek? next time cannot be like him ok? so inconsiderate..sit there as if his own house.. somemore make u fall down liao dun even say sorry.. no manners. cannot be like him ok? hehe

as for the auntie pointing finger to my girl n scolding her, maybe i wont do anything.. cos its her mouth ma. as long as she didnt touch my girl im fine with it. i will jsut tell my girl to ignore her n then try to dovert her attention to something else. cos if tell her off, she sure gonna rebut n say its my fault for not teaching my girl well thats y she need to scold her etc etc . dun wanna get involve into such problems..hehe.

apollo

tika, if pin was in the situation, if she tripped and fall over the guy's leg and he still dont feel sorry about it, i will tell him off.
besides, its a CHILDREN corner, there's a reason why they call it that, its for children.
afterall, if he argue with me, he's at the losing end, cos, he's the one who hurt my child, and sitting there when he shldnt be in the first place!
tika, if you are right dont be afraid to stand up to such ppl.

once, this man, he bumped into pin when we were walking, his briefcase literally bang her so hard i can feel her move a big step backwards, lucky i was holding her hand if not she sure fall.
that man was talkin so he never notice her, so i give it to him, but he never apologise!
he's some china business man i think, then he just look at me blankly while i waited for him to apologise!
then he just stand there, and im facing him carryingin pin who was crying her head off. then he started to turn and walk off cos this stupid friend (sg) of his ask him to go.
then i just say loud, WTF! stupid idiot dont know how to apologise? then his friend and him turn cos they quite shock when i say it loudly, then his friend stare at me and i say :YES! im calling him an idiot! you didnt hear clearly?"
then he stare at me fiercely and give me that F sign.
i shouted :RIGHT BACK AT you OLD MAN!!!
he wanted to walk towards me but his friends pull him away. i tell him, you are in the wrong you still dare to be so fierce, you dare you come !
so angry that time !
he is lucky pin with me and im carrying her and pacifying her, if not he sure get it from me!
he bump me nvm , i take it as he no manners. but a small kid, he shld have the decency to say sorry. dont know their education taught them what!
next time i'll know what to do if i meet this kind of ppl...

and i dont think they will dare to touch us or even beat us up.. :tlaugh:

snowbear

tika, if pin was in the situation, if she tripped and fall over the guy's leg and he still dont feel sorry about it, i will tell him off.
besides, its a CHILDREN corner, there's a reason why they call it that, its for children.
afterall, if he argue with me, he's at the losing end, cos, he's the one who hurt my child, and sitting there when he shldnt be in the first place!
tika, if you are right dont be afraid to stand up to such ppl.

that man was talkin so he never notice her, so i give it to him, but he never apologise!
then he just stand there, and im facing him carryingin pin who was crying her head off. then he started to turn and walk off cos this stupid friend (sg) of his ask him to go.
then i just say loud, WTF! stupid idiot dont know how to apologise? then his friend and him turn cos they quite shock when i say it loudly, then his friend stare at me and i say :YES! im calling him an idiot! you didnt hear clearly?"
he wanted to walk towards me but his friends pull him away. i tell him, you are in the wrong you still dare to be so fierce, you dare you come !
so angry that time !
he is lucky pin with me and im carrying her and pacifying her, if not he sure get it from me!
he bump me nvm , i take it as he no manners. but a small kid, he shld have the decency to say sorry. dont know their education taught them what!
That's a good one! You go girl! :D

snowbear

tika, the banquent issue, for me, so far i have not met any.
in fact im the one who will ask those shop assisstant/ cleaner to "scold" pin. as in tell her canot run here and there etc.
then she will scared.
haha!
Yeah, me too... if my child is truly in the wrong i wld also reinforce the msg.

tika

and i say :YES! im calling him an idiot! you didnt hear clearly?"
so angry that time !
wah you si bei fierce. Like a lioness protecting her cub. Then maybe I shd learn to be garang too for the sake of my child.

But if things really gets too much, think as mother instinct we will naturally speak up without knowing. Or at the back of your mind you thought it may not turn out to be as serious that makes you find it unnecessary to tell the lady off?
I actually thought about it long and hard.... I am beginning to suspect I may lack the mother instincts cos BOTH times i never say anything or DID anything. I dunno whether its cos I'm pregnant so my reaction is super slow or what.

tika

I ran after him yelling until someone stopped him and i made him apologise.Told him lucky my son not hurt or he wld be in trouble!!
So if anyone of you guys encounter a crazy lady juggling 3 kids and telling pple off..it wld probably be me!!!hahahhaha

Another lioness. hahahah.

Truth be told, I am not confrontational with strangers. Which proves to be a problem if the stranger deserves a telling off. And another bad thing is....if I see that the person did not intentionally knock or bump into my daughter and the person apologises on his/her own accord, I usually find myself saying... Its ok.. no worries. Maybe i should stop saying that.