I want to breastfeed again~!!

mummiestarries

I've been breast feeding my baby for the first week but gave up in the middle. Now, i would like to continue breast feeding but it seems that i'm producing very little milk.
The milk that comes out is very thick though.

At the beginning, i can produce about 60ml but now i can only do less den 10ml.
I'm currently using a manual pump but has thoughts of changing to a electric one as pumping with the manual one is quite tiring.

Any ideas on how i can encourage more flow of milk?
I desperately need help.

isabelandrew

how long have you stopped BF?
Start to let your BB latch, your supply will come back faster.
Then pump after latch. It will be very tiring but the supply will come back faster if you do like that.
some people say electric pump can pump more and faster. your preference i guess. i use electric pump and then hand squeeze later.
Drink ALOT of water, it really help.
some people drink papaya fish soup, fenugreek, alot of fish

good luck!!!

Amulet

isabelandrew gave an wonderful reply.. latchin is the best way to stimulate milk flow.. pumping AFTER that will empty the breast even further to encourage the milk factory to start and recruit more workers.. :D

isabelandrew

thanks.... *blush*
latching really help. one of nature's best pumping machine and stimulus.

Let us know in a weeks' time if you have succeeded!!!! :)

apollo

i think as long as ur breast still can produce milk, even it's very lil, still can 'save' back ur supply... Yes, latching on ur baby is the best way! tt time my ds latch on once, ONCE only hor, the next day i'm able to pump ard 100-120ml, and partly i also got take medi from gynae... but if ur baby is able to latch on easily and ur nipple is okay, try to latch on instead of taking medi...

JIAYOU! :Dancing_wub:

apollo

oh ya, better change to a electris pump if u intend to BF for a long period... I used to use a manual pump before and I think it's totally waste of my money! Cause my hands were so tired and it kinda 'discourage' me... after my hubby got me a electric one, things got better and I always look forward to my free time to pump milk..

medela is a good brand, can consider :001_302:

jojoki

yup pump after latching n keep doing this fr few days until the supply is back. it totally works fr me! also i find eating pork n eggs realy helps.. eat lots of protein... drink lots of liquid, water etc,,, n massage ur breast. Dun give up!!

stonston

Since your baby is only 3 weeks old, there's definitely chance for you to BF again!

You may want to visit a lactation consultant with your baby & they'll teach you alot of 'tricks' to overcome initial difficulties in breastfeeding. I learnt alot from them too (how to feed while lying down so it's not so tiring on you, etc).

Simple steps you can try first:
1. Latching consistently even if you do not feel that you have much milk (you actually have much more than you think!)
2. Massaging your breasts to stimulate flow. Start with small circular motions around the breast. Then grab your breasts and pull to the front (like pulling the nipple). Start slowly & go faster.
3. Clear your ducts. Sometimes low milk flow is due to the nipples being clogged up by dead skin. You can try using organic olive oil to moisturise the skin & try to wash off all the dead skin.
4. Eat healthily. You can try papaya fish soup, more wolfberries, oats, etc.
5. Medication/Herbs. You can request for medication from ur gynae to start off your milk supply again or try herbs like fenugreek. I know of someone who adopted a baby but manage to breastfeed after taking medication & fenugreek.
6. Rest. To be able to produce milk, you must get enough rest, else all the nutrients you ate goes to you, not the milk :p