'I'll die of pain without an epidural'

mei2009

There's a clue whether you know you'll need epidural or not.
When the gynae is feeling the baby's head during the monthly pregnancy checks, if you feel pain which is unbearable when the gynae does the check, then epidural is a definite yes. If you can bear the pain, then it's 50-50.

Epidural side effects - some tend to throw up after giving birth, one of the side effects. Your lower body will feel numb and it may be a little difficult to push when it's time, as you can't feel the movement.

Also, if the baby starts pressing against the pelvic area and the mummy can't stand the contractions...it's another thing to consider for epidural....anyway epidural is not cheap as well :|
Oh my, this is a really scary subject! :p

Thanks, chapter1 - I think your clue may be worth a bet, or least prepare us mentally. Some people cannot use epidural.

A friend intends to go the natural way with the help of acupuncture - has anyone tried?

XenXuan

Hi Chapter1,for me I did not feel numb during pushing as they turn off my epidural n had me waited near 1/2hr or so before I start feeling tat unbearable pain to start the pushing process. The only down side happened to me was trembling/shaky legs after epidural,lasted for the 1st 12hrs after childbirth.not sure it was from the epidural or the thigh injection before I had epidural. Some said to have random backache after epidural,it happened to me during the 1st year+ after epidural. Guess my 2nd pregnancy cured the backache haha. Other pain relief methods have their side effects too,just depend how serious n duration the side effect last. Ya agree,juz have a open minded pregnancy.

Jenni

I have epidural for my first pregnancy, it takes too long abt 10hrs+ to deliver and cannot endure the pain so decide to take the injection... Side effect was i vomit after delivery...

For my second pregnancy, i didn't take epidural only laughing gas as i wan to feel how is the contraction, it takes me 3 hrs to deliver...

This 3rd pregnancy think will not be taking epidural too...:tlaugh:

The most important is after delivery we have to rest no matter is with epidural or w/o epidural, for my first pregnancy i didn't rest well, my back was so painful so 2nd time, i be gd ger and rest well... My cousin told me she didn't take epidural but she suffer from back pain too coz she didn't rest well, she do confinement herself without any help.

Last edited:

ast0212

I don't think we will die of pain w/o epidural, right?
After all, women from the old ages have been doing it w/o epidural for so long! :p
I totally agree!

Plus, at the antenatal classes the middies said if you have an epi you won't be able to move around during labour and you can only give birth lying on your back.

Jenni

I totally agree!

Plus, at the antenatal classes the middies said if you have an epi you won't be able to move around during labour and you can only give birth lying on your back.
I feel that with out epi seem to deliver faster then with epi...

hanaabi

I took special lessons on childbirth and explored on using natural methods to ease labor pains.

It wasn't painful during my labor and birth. The only pain I felt was when labor first started and I eased it away.

My baby was born 8 hours later at 4.4kg, vaginal birth without episiotomy and no drugs was used. She's the biggest Chinese baby delivered by my gynae and the last I chat with him, another lady gave birth to a 4.8kg baby without any tear or drugs!

Many women have birthed the same way, without needing pain relief drugs because they've learnt the right strategies to give birth or they hired a doula (birth support/companion) to be there with them during labor.

ast0212

I just got back from an antenatal class tonight where all the mothers there including myself are going for a water birth. We watched a video too and it was so beautiful!!! The midwife calls it a natural epidural so it must be good! :001_302:

felicity

I just got back from an antenatal class tonight where all the mothers there including myself are going for a water birth. We watched a video too and it was so beautiful!!! The midwife calls it a natural epidural so it must be good! :001_302:
may i know where to sign up for antenatal class? where is yours conducted and how much is it? thanks! =)

ast0212

may i know where to sign up for antenatal class? where is yours conducted and how much is it? thanks! =)
I'm in Perth :( I go to a public hospital so it is free of charge. There are some hospitals in Singapore that do water births but I am not sure which ones..

felicity

I'm in Perth :( I go to a public hospital so it is free of charge. There are some hospitals in Singapore that do water births but I am not sure which ones..
oh you are in Perth. i've been there 17 years ago for a school fieldtrip! =P i miss the place and hope to visit again. and my cousin is in perth too. it's nice that it's free! =)

Antoy

Hi mummies,

I am a mother to a 2 yr old son. And I gave birth to my son with a lot of pain enduring but I did it without epidural and with a normal birth. :wong29:

zc31

Today at doctor visit he said better to use epidural....haiz....dilemma.

ast0212

Ohh why is that? An epidural should be your choice and not something that the doctor encourages. If you want natural, go for it! Don't let them decide for you unless it is compromising your or baby's health.

felicity

I'm planning to go natural without epi.. A few of my colleagues did it n last time my mum too.. So I believe I can too!! :)

Oh I know in TMC only one delivery suite w water tub available n usage of it will cost over $200? I've read abt water birth online n it seems to therapeutic!