International Marriage

annie

lol i figured out that i need to bring dear daughter out alone very often thus i bought a very light weight stroller.. it weighs only 4.2kg without my girl of cos. so its easy to carry up n down stairs unless im wearing mini skirt or high heels.. those pose a bigger problem hehe.

Renzie

Hi everyone, I'm new here. ^^
Hubby msian and I'm a singaporean.

hubby side is much more traditional and while I grew up in a open, non-traditional family. So far no conflicts. lol. Luckily my parents are pretty understanding, they just leave me alone to plan my own wedding and even now, I'm expecting, they don't restrict nor confine me to certain things. Whereas hubby's side, well, I'm not even supposed to look at my pets. =(.

But I do hate it when sometimes my in-laws would go.."you singaporeans..." or my parents would go "You are a malaysian already." It can get pretty annoying.

annie

lol i married a japanese but i never consider myself as a japanese. dosent mean marry him got to change nationality also ma. in fact, i didnt even change my surname which all the japanese woman does. i dun intend to get a japanese nationality here as well because it will mean i have to forgo my singapore nationality...

JacquiLau

Ting: Yeah, I dont't care! Even though it says no stroller, I guna anyway. Takkan expect me to push the stroller up the stairs all by myself. The darn thing weights 14kg (with the car seat) and this is without Eva in it!!! Me and hubby spent a bit of cash and invested in a carrier, plus me am hunting down for ring sling so hopefully will be easier coz if wanna squeeze in with people in the MRT and busses...pengsan.

And thanks for the compliment...but , everyone says she looks like my hubby. T.T

Annie: I do wonder about those handicapped people too...especially when taking the bus. I had one friend who suggested that I buy a car here in SG just to get around. I was like WTH - I dont't print out money wei!!!! =.=

Jacqui: Oooo, you came back to give birth? Me? I couldn't be bothered to fly back to KL to give birth...takut my mum go overkill during confinement. :p
Hee Hee... in UK things are all done differently and given it's my first baby where I am seriously clueless about everything, I would rather go somewhere which I have help. Maybe if and when I have my second child, I might stay in UK. :p

lol i married a japanese but i never consider myself as a japanese. dosent mean marry him got to change nationality also . in fact, i didnt even change my surname which all the japanese woman does. i dont intend to get a japanese nationality here as well because it will mean i have to forgo my singapore nationality...
Hi annie, I think so too! Don't forgo your singapore nationality easily! I been with my hubby coming 10 years now and he never once tell me to forgo my singapore citizenship, in fact he tell me to keep it. When things are all good of cos forgoing it and taking other nationality sound alright but what if *touch wood* anything happens between us? I will be stuck in a foreign place and can't come back to my family... can you imagine been on your own in a foreign country and can't go home? I have heard of people encountering that... very poor thing and Singapore government doesn't give you back your citizenship easily once you give it up.

meiteoh

Oooo...okies. I'm actually glad I gave birth in Switzerland - even though I didn't know much and my command of the language is not all that great, I had a very good experience. So much so that I suspect I won't want to give birth anywhere else. :p

annie

Hee Hee... in UK things are all done differently and given it's my first baby where I am seriously clueless about everything, I would rather go somewhere which I have help. Maybe if and when I have my second child, I might stay in UK. :p

Hi annie, I think so too! dont't forgo your singapore nationality easily! I been with my hubby coming 10 years now and he never once tell me to forgo my singapore citizenship, in fact he tell me to keep it. When things are all good of cos forgoing it and taking other nationality sound alright but what if *touch wood* anything happens between us? I will be stuck in a foreign place and can't come back to my family... can you imagine been on your own in a foreign country and can't go home? I have heard of people encountering that... very poor thing and Singapore government doesn't give you back your citizenship easily once you give it up.
lol i never thought of tat! i just thought... im a singaporean n always a singaprean no matter i like it or not cos thats my root lol. also, its better for my girl cos she can have both citizenship n choose where she would like to be in future. let her have a choice...

shespice

Me Singaporean chinese....but erm not fluent in chinese though LOL...am Peranakan so usually speak english and malay with mom & dad but just enlglish with hubby. He is Malaysian chinese but Sing PR. His family members in Malaysia so we drive up whenever hubby wants to go up. Mother in law is Cantonese but me no speak any dialect LOL.

Yuki Miaka

I came to realise a few mummies here have hubby of different race or nationality. Im ont of them hehe. care to share your spouse race/nationalities here??

I shall start first. Im singaporean. hubby japanese. :001_302:

I am originated from Taiwan, borned & grown up in Indonesia , my hubby is malaysian from far far away. Our baby is Singaporean, we are chinese.

meiteoh

lol i never thought of that! i just thought... im a singaporean and always a singaprean no matter i like it or not cos thats my root lol. also, its better for my girl cos she can have both citizenship and choose where she would like to be in future. let her have a choice...
I don't intend to give up my nationality either and hubby has never pressed me for it. Instead, he told me to hang on to it because it's easier for me to travel (no need visas for a lot of places).

I'll probably reconsider again when I'm older and when our relationship has stabilized (as in when I'm in my 50s - LOL). It's not easy to take up the French citizenship. There are tests on things like French culture, history and so forth PLUS you need to be fluent in French.

sufeit0115

Wow so many international marriages!:tlaugh:I am singaporean chinese married to a tibetan/bhutanese who is holding indian nationality, it was love at first sight and we have been married 3 years and at first my parents were strongly against our marriage cos he is neither rich nor handsome and i understand their concerns for me. Most of my friends advised me to give up the relationship too cos it will be hard for me.​

However my instinct told me he is the one for me and we have been thru many obstacles and our love for each other growing stronger each day. Now my family love him more than me & my mum only cooked those dishes he likes & ignore me!!​

Last edited:
Me Singaporean Chinese. Hubby is American
Baby will be Singaporean so he gets the baby bonus & me the additional 8W maternity (Essential as no one taking care of baby for us :( )
dont't think baby will be entitled to dual citizenship like Annie's baby then..Wish he could though *greedy*
Meiteoh, does Eva has a chinese name? She's realy adorable btw. :)
I am thinking of giving my boy 1 writen in Chinese characters but hubby think it's not neccessary. Mmm...

meiteoh

Cyanide: Yup, Eva has a Chinese name. It was something me and hubby agreed on - give her a French and Chinese name in place of two surnames. It's written in Chinese characters as well but I'm a banana so I had to get one of my friends to help me check it out. :p

Talking about the name, aiiii...huge drama there. When I first announced our chosen name (Eva Li-Ann), my bro who doesn't keep in touch suddenly replied asking me to put in my family name and after my hubby's family name - Grousson Teoh. When I declined politely, he kept insisting, and said that it was to carry the family name and etc. Got so angry at him coz if anyone is to do any name carrying, it ought to be him since he's the son. (Long story short - my bro has been married for over 10 years and he & my SIL don't want kids.) Even my parents told me to ignore him and my mum was like "Pfft, if he want someone to carry the family name, ask him to go have kids of his own".

annie

Me Singaporean Chinese. Hubby is American
Baby will be Singaporean so he gets the baby bonus & me the additional 8W maternity (Essential as no one taking care of baby for us :( )
dont't think baby will be entitled to dual citizenship like Annie's baby then..Wish he could though *greedy*
Meiteoh, does Eva has a chinese name? She's realy adorable btw. :)
I am thinking of giving my boy 1 writen in Chinese characters but hubby think it's not neccessary. Mmm...
good news for u. your bb can have dual citizenship! u can apply for both then when he is 21yrs old he needs to choose between one cos sg dun allow dual citizenship. im not sure bout america. japan dosent allow dual citizenship either thus my girl needs to make her choice between one too... some countries are ok with having dual citizenship though.. i have a fren who has both autralian n taiwanese citizenship...

sufeit0115

hahahhaah oh my. why do they only want you to marry someone rich OR handsome ?!
haha becos my parents cannot see what qualities he has which took my eyes for him based from his look and background....:err:But guess love is blind somehow :001_302:. But now he managed to win the hearts of my parents which sometimes made me jealous!!

tika

But now he managed to win the hearts of my parents which sometimes made me jealous!!

my parents also somewhat the same. Before marriage...don't like. after marriage...always asking him what he wants to eat, my mom will cook for him. never ask me lehhh. I'm the pregnant one lehhh. always ask him whether he's tired...he must rest more often. but always saying out loud that I'm lazy.

so mean one my parents. i was jealous till i can't be bothered now already. haha.

sufeit0115

my parents also somewhat the same. Before marriage...dont't like. after marriage...always asking him what he wants to eat, my mom will cook for him. never ask me lehhh. I'm the pregnant one lehhh. always ask him whether he's tired...he must rest more often. but always saying out loud that I'm lazy.

so mean one my parents. i was jealous till i can't be bothered now already. haha.
haha same same here....i saw from other thread that you are going for your c-section today...:tlaugh:wow wish u have a smooth delivery!! Must remember to share with your birth experiences with us!!:Dancing_wub: