International Marriage

Me Singapore Chinese Mixed with Hokkien & Teochew
Wife Indonesian Chinese with Cantonese & Bahasa
Kid going to be Singaporean Chinese Mixed with Hokkien,Teochew,Cantonese,Bahasa,English And Chinese Speaking

sibei_sian

hi annie..

im also married to a japanese. currently residing in tokyo too!!!
I've a june 2006 naughty boy! :D

been married for about 4yrs..but was with husband for about 6years before we got married. we moved back to japan last aug. husband has got PR. so chances of us goin back to singapore is quite high! :p

how about you? will you be there perm? :D nice to know another singaporean mummy in tokyo :D

Cyanide: Yup, Eva has a Chinese name. It was something me and hubby agreed on - give her a French and Chinese name in place of two surnames. It's written in Chinese characters as well but I'm a banana so I had to get one of my friends to help me check it out. :p

Talking about the name, aiiii...huge drama there. When I first announced our chosen name (Eva Li-Ann), my bro who doesn't keep in touch suddenly replied asking me to put in my family name and after my hubby's family name - Grousson Teoh. When I declined politely, he kept insisting, and said that it was to carry the family name and etc. Got so angry at him coz if anyone is to do any name carrying, it ought to be him since he's the son. (Long story short - my bro has been married for over 10 years and he & my sister In law dont't want kids.) Even my parents told me to ignore him and my mum was like "Pfft, if he want someone to carry the family name, ask him to go have kids of his own".
Gee Meiteoh..that was really something... :S
Well, no chinese name for my boy in the end...I experienced labour pains shortly after my last post n delivered the same day..lol...

BlackCherry

im a mix of japanese and singaporean blood, my baby's dad is a pure japanese..

we did not register our marraige though.. young japanese guys are so irresponsible :(

btw, im living in nagoya with my family.

skinneybeenie

I am also in a transnational marriage. Husband is from Mauritius, I'm from Singapore. Met n NUS while we were schooling. Been married for over 3 years now, expecting our little one soon :)

Udayavani

I know a couple who is in spore, mummy christian n daddy indian. Daddy allows every decision mummy makes and dosent question her. But the people who r getting hurt is daddy's parents. Coz mummy dont let her baby mix with them or let them bring the baby to temple etc. She tell daddy...if u parents ever bring my baby to temple i will scold them off. Poor old age parents, its their 1st grandchild.

I thought mix love marriages shld have a mutual understanding of each other
religious. Coz this mommy told me that she like her in-laws alot and will allow them to do whatever they want...but now you see all words are backfired....

I dunno why people hurt old age people in the name of religion. They will sure kena back one day :-/

Hi Everyone,

I'm Chinese Singaporean and my husband is Philippino.

We definitely are very different in personality and cultural background..
What really help us was pre-marriage and post-marriage counseling..
We married closed to 3 years and my husband is wonderful -
Supportive, hands-on father, responsible, romantic, fun-loving etc.
So thankful to God for bringing us together. :)

Make a pregnancy ticker

Oppsgal

My hubby is Malaysian, I am a Singaporean. Still trying to figure out how to be Malaysian PR for me since my hubby got Singapore PR. :001_302:

My hubby dont let my baby choose Singaporean or Malaysian as he prefer Singapore.

Last edited:

meiteoh

It takes forever to become a M'sian PR, especially if you're non-Muslim. =.=

Plus I think that there are very few benefits as a M'sian PR - hate to say this, coz I'm Malaysian but as a female citizen, I have so little benefits. Can't even pass down my citizenship to my daughter because I kahwin angmoh. So stupid.

Last edited:

Satellite

meitoh, you got to be kidding right?!!! - hard to bring baby out in a pram in singapore!!!!

I find it extremely easy, the pavements are pram friendly (flat tiles, concrete and not those uneven tiles or cobblestone). The edge of the curb is sloped so no need to go down the curb with a jerk or lift pram up the curb. Also, abundan lifts at mrt, shopping centres, hdb etc.

I went to the UK and not ideal to push pram around. Even with a 'mountain pram" still difficult. Imagine bringing pram down to the tube station!!! I really wonder how special needs pepole in the UK manage. Not friendly at all except at carparks attached to supermarkets. Also not many playgrounds. Here there are 7 playgrounds within 5 min of my place and no need to make arragments for playdate nonsense.

Will bemoving to the UK this year.

My husband is English and I'm Indian-muslim. Some cultural differences but nothing serious.

I dated a Japanese once... he had very rosy cheeks and great hair. There's something very sexy about Japanese men... but hate the food! (hate english food too... eexcept their sandwiches)

Edit: Never ever bring a pram down escalators... should the legs of your pram give way, your baby would be in grave danger.

Last edited:

meiteoh

Satellite, in the older HDB communities, there are just stairs everywhere (I sometimes have to resort to off roading with my stroller/travel system) and the lifts don't necessarily go to all the floors.

Plus I take the bus most of the time and a lot of the buses are not equipped well for a stroller and when they are, the bus driver is some times quite annoying (and lazy). Maybe I've been quite unlucky because I encounter more cons than pros when taking Eva out to anywhere further than the area around our place. :( Hence why for long trips, I prefer to wear her.

Still, I shouldn't compare - it's worse in Malaysia! :p

Oppsgal

It takes forever to become a M'sian PR, especially if you're non-Muslim. =.=

Plus I think that there are very few benefits as a M'sian PR - hate to say this, coz I'm Malaysian but as a female citizen, I have so little benefits. Can't even pass down my citizenship to my daughter because I kahwin angmoh. So stupid.
How long to become Malaysian PR if married to one? Can't use dependent pass to apply?

meiteoh

I know of a Canadian guy who married a Malay girl; he converted and all, their son is seven or eight, and he's still on spousal visa. And it's been nearly ten years already. Others I know have been trying for a good many years of their lives (10-15 plus). So go figure.

Oppsgal

I know of a Canadian guy who married a Malay girl; he converted and all, their son is seven or eight, and he's still on spousal visa. And it's been nearly ten years already. Others I know have been trying for a good many years of their lives (10-15 plus). So go figure.

So long... I thought can convert immediately if married a Malaysian? Then live there in Malaysia will get chase out because not PR?:tlaugh:

http://www.alloexpat.com/malaysia_expat_forum/skilled-malaysian-to-return-to-malaysia-incentives-t2965.html

http://www.mm2h.gov.my/
Malaysia My Second Home Programme

Not sure how the schemes works.

Last edited:

Satellite

meitoh

yes .. understand about the lifts and bus. I live on the ground floor of a HDB estate so not much problem and also normally take the train or taxi so no problems there. Will not even dream of taking the bus.

meiteoh

Oppsgal, I don't know about now but according to my Canadian friend, it's still in the works and it's very frustrating for him. You can read more about the info he found out here but in a nutshell, they say that you have to wait six years before you're eligible for PR - note the word "eligible"; it doesn't mean you automatically qualify for PR. Personally, I'm not holding my breath. :p