Interview for PV??

autumn82

Hi there,

Any mummies/daddies went through interview for PV? What are the usual questions and what are they looking for?? :embarrassed:

stonston

Different schools have different needs & will ask different questions.

Mostly they are more interested in why you choose their school & what can you contribute to the school as a parent volunteer. Go do some research on what is the school's current focus/needs.

They might also ask questions like "if you are a working woman, how are you going to find time to contribute as a parent volunteer".

Btw, based on your counter & some calculation, your girl is turning 5 next year? If yes, then you must work fast to get an interview for PV & start soon. If you girl is 5 this year, it's too late already.

autumn82

Different schools have different needs & will ask different questions.

Mostly they are more interested in why you choose their school & what can you contribute to the school as a parent volunteer. Go do some research on what is the school's current focus/needs.

They might also ask questions like "if you are a working woman, how are you going to find time to contribute as a parent volunteer".

Btw, based on your counter & some calculation, your girl is turning 5 next year? If yes, then you must work fast to get an interview for PV & start soon. If you girl is 5 this year, it's too late already.
I went for it already~~ :) It went pretty smooth and results will be out next week. Thanks darling.

My gal is turning 5 this year~~~ Too late??? .............. Don't scare me.. They still told me once selected, PV starts from next yearr! Except for adhoc type..

stonston

I went for it already~~ :) It went pretty smooth and results will be out next week. Thanks darling.

My gal is turning 5 this year~~~ Too late??? .............. dont't scare me.. They still told me once selected, PV starts from next yearr! Except for adhoc type..

Honestly speaking, it's too late if your girl turns 5 this year.

Reason being you need to be a PV for at least 1 year before registration to qualify under Phrase 2B (if I recall correctly).

Means if your girl is 5 this year, she will be P1 in 2011.
Registration for 2011 is in June/July 2010.
Which means you need to start PV June 2009 or earlier, else you won't qualify.

Daddy D

Alpha Male

My gal is turning 5 this year~~~ Too late??? .............. dont't scare me.. They still told me once selected, PV starts from next yearr! Except for adhoc type..
Steady lahh... let me know how the PV goes later... dunno I will kena a not... interview supposed to be in Nov...
Funny thing is... my gal is 4 yrs... your gal is 5 yrs old... but we may do PV next yr together!
Who interviewed u? Teacher or Principal? Hope they didn't get the age wrongly... later u waste 1 year's time for PV... did they ask whether your kid is born in Year 2004 or Year 2005?
Anyway, told u tat sch Phase 2B not many ppl apply... maybe tat's y they still open for PV... as long as u can complete 40 hours from Jan-Jul 2010...

Reason being you need to be a PV for at least 1 year before registration to qualify under Phrase 2B (if I recall correctly).

Maybe diff sch diff practice? Or the sch just desperate to get PV.... free labour...

Daddy D

Alpha Male
Phase 2B2

For a child whose parent has joined the school as a parent volunteer not later than 1 July 2008 and has given at least 40 hours of voluntary service to the school by 30 June 2009; or whose parent is a member endorsed by the church/clan directly connected with the school; or whose parent is endorsed as an active community leader.

Ministry of Education, Singapore: Phases of Primary One Registration Exercise

Eh Aut... above is for Year 2010 enrolment.... so for Year 2011 will be "not later than 1 July 2009" ??
Hmmm... u better confirm with the sch...

autumn82

Steady lahh... let me know how the PV goes later... dont know I will kena a not... interview supposed to be in Nov...
Funny thing is... my gal is 4 yrs... your gal is 5 yrs old... but we may do PV next your together!
Who interviewed you? Teacher or Principal? Hope they didn't get the age wrongly... later you waste 1 year's time for PV... did they ask whether your kid is born in Year 2004 or Year 2005?
Anyway, told you that sch Phase 2B not many ppl apply... maybe that's why they still open for PV... as long as you can complete 40 hours from Jan-Jul 2010...

Maybe diff sch diff practice? Or the sch just desperate to get PV.... free labour...
I was interviewed by the VP. I did state my gal's bdae and asked/tell them b4 they sent me the application....

Geez.. Make me wanna call them up again if I got good news from them. :tlaugh:

autumn82

Phase 2B2

For a child whose parent has joined the school as a parent volunteer not later than 1 July 2008 and has given at least 40 hours of voluntary service to the school by 30 June 2009; or whose parent is a member endorsed by the church/clan directly connected with the school; or whose parent is endorsed as an active community leader.

Eh Aut... above is for Year 2010 enrolment.... so for Year 2011 will be "not later than 1 July 2009" ??
Hmmm... you better confirm with the sch...
Yesh.. I saw that, that's why I called the school to confirm if they still accept PV at that time.. Nm nm.. dont scare me.. :p I'll call the school once more to confirm once they select me. :p

autumn82

:embarrassed::embarrassed::embarrassed:

stonston

Phase 2B2

Hmmm... you better confirm with the sch...
DaddyD is very specific. This is what I mean. Cos I was doing research on PV for my son (I was calculating when I need to go apply for PV if I really need to do PV for him) :p

Btw, Autumn, u applying for Marymount? Just to let you know, if your girl dun get in at P1, dun despair. I know of alot of ppl who manage to transfer into Marymount at P3/P4 :) If really dun get in, just put her on waiting list & make sure she does very well in other school so that it'll be easier to transfer her over. For Marymount, transfer in cases are required to sit for their EOY exams.

autumn82

DaddyD is very specific. This is what I mean. Cos I was doing research on PV for my son (I was calculating when I need to go apply for PV if I really need to do PV for him) :p

Btw, Autumn, you applying for Marymount? Just to let you know, if your girl dont get in at P1, dont despair. I know of alot of ppl who manage to transfer into Marymount at P3/P4 :) If really dont get in, just put her on waiting list & make sure she does very well in other school so that it'll be easier to transfer her over. For Marymount, transfer in cases are required to sit for their EOY exams.
Thanks stonston~ :) Judging this year's and past yr's results.. Shldn't be a prob to get in, but I'm kiasu abit, so wanna double my chance at 2B instead of 2C.. :tlaugh:

I don't like the idea of transferring kids halfway.. coz gotta re-adapt environment and all.. So not an opinion for me if I've a choice.. :tlaugh:

Now waiting, see when they will email me b4 I ask them once more.. :001_302:

stonston

Thanks stonston~ :) Judging this year's and past your's results.. Shldn't be a prob to get in, but I'm kiasu abit, so wanna double my chance at 2B instead of 2C.. :tlaugh:

I dont't like the idea of transferring kids halfway.. coz gotta re-adapt environment and all.. So not an opinion for me if I've a choice.. :tlaugh:

Now waiting, see when they will email me before I ask them once more.. :001_302:
Which zodiac animal is your girl's batch. I know there are certain years with bumper crops and competition gets tougher (like for my son's year, year of golden pig).

autumn82

Which zodiac animal is your girl's batch. I know there are certain years with bumper crops and competition gets tougher (like for my son's year, year of golden pig).
She belongs to year of monkey.. :) Think is the lowest among these few years...

thepinkdot

just to clarify some doubts.. so meaning by 4 yrs old i must figure out which school i want and apply for PV?

stonston

just to clarify some doubts.. so meaning by 4 yrs old i must figure out which school i want and apply for PV?
Technically, yes.

But there are many other factors to consider. Some schools do not even entertain PVs. Some schools only recruit 20 per year. There's no guaranteed spot for PVs also!

My son is 2years 7mths & we've already discussed as a whole family (my parents & siblings included) on his primary school. Reason being that we need to plan in advance if we need to do PV (they usually prefer SAHM who have loads of time on their hands) or find other alternatives (volunteer in GRC as grassroot leader, join church/clan, etc). It was a major stress factor for me, but end up my silly hb was from one of the more popular & sought-after schools in SG, so we've decided to enrol him there when the time comes. Discussed with my parents & siblings as the school is quite far (Bukit Timah) & we'll need their help to ferry my son if he has remedial/CCA/enrichments in school. Thankfully, my family is supportive & have agreed to help out :)

thepinkdot

thanks for the clarification. my daughter is no older than your son, only 3 months older. i've put it much thought into it and has sort of decided on a school. its relatively important as we are planning to move closer to the school when the times come.. but however, i was still concerned.. i've heard rumours that some schools would still prefer that parents has done some time as a PV before accepting even though within area.

stonston

thanks for the clarification. my daughter is no older than your son, only 3 months older. i've put it much thought into it and has sort of decided on a school. its relatively important as we are planning to move closer to the school when the times come.. but however, i was still concerned.. i've heard rumours that some schools would still prefer that parents has done some time as a PV before accepting even though within area.
You must check the history of the school's P1 registration. For some schools, even if you stay beside the school, the chances of getting in is very slim!

Also, if you have done PV & your child did not get in at P1 & you request to put on waiting list for transfer, they'll usually put you on priority list. P1 registration has strict guidelines but transfer cases is up to the school to decide.

Good that you also started thinking early. Remember, if you are looking for property near the school, START NOW. Try to move in before you start PV because it'll be 1 factor when they interview you as PV. & if you are really keen on being PV at that school, no harm starting EARLIER (just in case you get rejected in 1 year, you still have another year to try applying again).

autumn82

I just received the confirmation for PV!! :) Will call the school up on Mon to double check... :001_302: